Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I promise I won't take long for others in the line lol, although I would think they would have just 1 or 2 people taking money and names (should go quick but idk, how did it work with model x and model s? Was it a quick process? Or drawn out? I mean how long could it take, they won't even have a picture to show us because it will be way before "the reveal") and the rest trying to sell people model s'
Most S and X deposits were done on-line (or at the reveal). This "first day in-store only" thing is unique to the 3.

If the store starts believing that they'll get swamped with people placing reservations, I'd expect it to be "all hands on deck" - all store employees will take deposits from waiting customers, and test drives will be put on hold/cancelled.

If you get there at 9 and there's already a line, don't expect to go for a test drive for a while...

Most S and X deposits were done on-line (or at the reveal). This "first day in-store only" thing is unique to the 3.

If the store starts believing that they'll get swamped with people placing reservations, I'd expect it to be "all hands on deck" - all store employees will take deposits from waiting customers, and test drives will be put on hold/cancelled.

If you get there at 9 and there's already a line, don't expect to go for a test drive for a while...

What time are you all planning on getting there? 2 hrs before open? 5 hrs? Also, I think I'm going to call my tesla shop and ask about the appt. we'll see if they say "first come first serve March 31st" or "we're taking appointments and trying to fit walk ins as they come"

has as anyone else asked their store this question? I'm new to the forum so if this is being discussed elsewhere just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

What time are you all planning on getting there? 2 hrs before open? 5 hrs? Also, I think I'm going to call my tesla shop and ask about the appt. we'll see if they say "first come first serve March 31st" or "we're taking appointments and trying to fit walk ins as they come"

has as anyone else asked their store this question? I'm new to the forum so if this is being discussed elsewhere just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Some people have asked and some report back the store employees said they'll open at 10am. But honestly, as far as we know, no updates have been sent out to stores with *any* details. Tesla could conceivably still do a simultaneous launch, like reveal at 10:00am, open reservations at 11:00PST, allowing all Americans, Canadians and Europeans to reserve during normal store hours.

If it's a 10:00am EST launch, I'm either showing up at 7:00am-ish or *maybe* camping out if I suspect the line will be 100+ people long by morning... and if the weather is nice :)

If you want to be first in line, camp out in front of the store for a few days leading up to March 31st.
-Don't be a nuisance, don't be rude, do leave if the store asks you to, etc.
-Don't book a 10am appointment on March 31st and hope to walk in, passing a line of people who have been there for hours or days when you haven't.
-Remember, in Kindergarten, (hopefully) you did learn about manners and that trying to skip the line is wrong, etc.
-Don't let other people make you shy away from trying to be first, but do it the right way... earn it.

Just my opinion.

Now, sharks, attack me if you will for not being a punk that tries to pass everyone who has earned their spot wherever they are in the line.

Reactions: tomsky
Prediction: when the 3 is unveiled, a lot of people are going to quietly be a little disappointed at how small it is, and how similar, how "normal," it is compared to a few other cars, in looks. However, the performance and economy will blow people away, and that will more than make up for the regularmobile looks. I also think there will be some amazing new features inside, some of which won't be unveiled. I would not be surprised at all if the whole 17" screen deal is gone, in favor of something much more radical, and Elon may wanna hold off revealing until later. These are all guesses, no information. Just wait and see.

There is nothing at all wrong with "normal." No need to reinvent the wheel, and no need to make a bizarre-looking weirdmobile that looks "futuristic." Who knows, the future car might actually look a lot like the more fuel-efficient ones we have now just because it's practical.

I don't think we will be seeing iPhone type line ups. I think the vast majority of potential buyers will hear about it after the first day.

Hope I'm wrong though because the competition would have a heart attack it there is a lineup at every store for hours [emoji57]

10am is open for my store. And I've never been in a tesla so I definitely want to at least sit down in one. I figured this is a good opportunity since I was planning on being at the store early anyways. The plan is to put in my reservation (hopefully I'm first with the appt) and then go for a quick test drive just to experience a Tesla :)

I promise I won't take long for others in the line lol, although I would think they would have just 1 or 2 people taking money and names (should go quick but idk, how did it work with model x and model s? Was it a quick process? Or drawn out? I mean how long could it take, they won't even have a picture to show us because it will be way before "the reveal") and the rest trying to sell people model s'

what at do you all think?

I think that I haven't seen it established for sure exactly when the reveal is happening, nor that they will take any reservations before it does. I am waiting to find out what the actual sequence of events is going to be on 3/31 before making a guess at anything else. It would seem most logical to have the reveal around late morning or midday west coast time, and begin taking reservations during or immediately after that event. Then all the stateside stores can do it while they are open for their normal hours. And midday on a weekday would keep the crowds down a little. Having it in the evening like previous reveals seems unnecessarily costly considering that they would then have to pay hundreds of people to keep the stores open late.

I agree. Not a huge fan of the chrome on the S.
Aside from the chrome that surrounds the faux grille area, all the chrome used on a Tesla Model S is both classy and appropriate. I do understand how some would prefer body colored door handles, especially if they find them very hot in certain climates. But what really turns me off is when car designs from a traditional automobile manufacturer do the opposite, by blacking out portions of the car to give an illusion of a design that is not actually there. It's really bad on certain European cars, and many SUVs, where they try to hide a multitude of sins. What is truly pitiful is when buyers go along with this concept by blacking out the windows on the car to boot.

I would say the chance anything less then a dual motor model is extremely unlikely. They have shown that dual motets are more effencent.
Elon Musk has already stated the base version of the Model ≡ would be rear wheel drive. That was last year, shortly after the Model S 70D debuted, and the Model S 60 had been discontinued. Until the said that, many of us here would have agreed with you, as the Model S 85 was the sole rear wheel drive offering for a while.

I don't think Tesla meant 20% of model S internal volume. You don't need to start from scratch to achieve that feat. The present generation BMW series 3 is roughly 86% the external dimension of the Model S. And still has lots of room for internal seating.
A good thing you realized this, because I certainly didn't say that. I have consistently said that the Model ≡ Sedan will be larger on the inside than a BMW 3-Series Sedan. I have repeatedly pointed out that at half the cost of the Model S 60, and now Model S 70, the Model ≡ is likely to weigh 20% less than those vehicles. A weight that just happens to place it right in the median range of weights for the BMW 3-Series.

Also Tesla has a bit of history comparing models too other market leaders. Model S = Benz S class, Model X = Audi Q7, Model 3 = ?
This is precisely why Tesla Motors and Elon Musk have a considerable history of stating their Generation III, Model ≡ vehicles would be targeted against the BMW 3-Series. They have said this consistently for about four years now.

This is the difference between the EPA and market classifications. The EPA is based strictly on interior volume. The market is based on exterior size.
Shole iz.

Thanks red if that comes true that's the perfect car. Compact and easy to park, heavy enough to be comfortable on the hwy, a wheelbase of 110" to keep the chatter down on the hwy. the room of a midsize on the inside.
Yeah. Pretty much. Though I suspect the wheelbase may be more like 113" or 114" on the Model ≡.

...got a feeling the 3 maybe a hatchback (small station wagon).
I hope a station wagon is offered, as those are rather popular in Europe, but the first Model ≡ will likely be a Liftback Sedan, as is the Model S.

The US is pretty much the only non hatchback market in the world. Don't [bet] anything on them caring what one market thinks. If they feel the rest of the package is compelling
I will bet that Tesla Motors is smart enough to realize the Model ≡ absolutely must be a success here in the US.

I don't think making a hatchback kills their chances at selling the car. The design will depend on drag
If by 'hatchback' you mean something that resembles a Volvo wagon, Saab 900, or Volkswagen Golf, then yes... It will absolutely KILL their chances of selling it in great quantities in the US. The Golf may sell nigh a million units each year worldwide, but hardly anyone buys them in the US. VW has moved more than 40,000 of them only four times since 2002. It makes more sense at this time for Tesla Motors to take on the BMW 3-Series, which has not dropped below 90,000 units here even once since 2002.

BMW 3-Series Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Volkswagen Golf Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

I don't think we will be seeing iPhone type line ups. I think the vast majority of potential buyers will hear about it after the first day.

Hope I'm wrong though because the competition would have a heart attack it there is a lineup at every store for hours [emoji57]

http://learnbonds.com/127293/tesla-model-3-madness-is-approaching-and-things-could-get-very-crazy-heres-why/

Tesla Model 3 Madness is Coming – Expect Apple iPhone-like Craziness at Tesla Stores

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA)’s upcoming affordable Model 3 electric car has been getting a huge amount of buzz, and when Tesla opens up for deposits for the car on March 31, the madness could well approach the levels of Apple stores on iPhone release dates or Best Buy on Black Friday.

Falcon wing doors don't even make sense for a car. Only an SUV which is taller would benefit from them. With them fully open, you'd still have to duck to get in. On the X, they're good because you can stand inside.
Sure they do... More sense even than Gull Wing Doors, or Scissor Doors, or Split-Suicide Doors... A Tesla Model S Coupe or Model ≡ Coupe would benefit from having both Falcon Wing Doors and Panoramic Windshield, I think.

I would not be surprised if the Model 3 has door handles like the Model X. The Model X door handles have the advantage of being no drag and fewer moving parts. The more expensive Model 3's may have the present feature, but the base model might just have the hot spot door handles the X has with no present.
I agree. Touch pads to open doors rather than traditional handles will be cool.

True. The question is do they make sense for an SUV with only two rows of seats? The main selling point was easy access to the third row, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Model Y might have 3 rows as well. It wouldn't be totally unprecedented, even on a smaller SUV.
Yes, it could work fine. A two-door, two-row SUV could definitely use Falcon Wing Doors, exactly the same way as a Model ≡ Coupe could. Take a look at the photos you'll find here:

2011 Buick Riviera Concept - Google Search

Yes, it could work fine. A two-door, two-row SUV could definitely use Falcon Wing Doors, exactly the same way as a Model ≡ Coupe could. Take a look at the photos you'll find here:

2011 Buick Riviera Concept - Google Search

A concept car with exotic doors is not really an endorsement for similar doors on a vehicle like the Model 3 which is trying to be affordable and profitable. Tesla struggled with the falcon doors on the X, and may still be. We won't see them on the 3.

I don't think the competition is going to start sweating until the Model 3 is on the street. Bob Lutz is the mouthpiece for the mainstream car makers' leadership. They believe Tesla will implode before the Model 3 hits the market.

If there are long lines at even a few stores, which most likely would be in California, it will make a good image on the TV news. That may be the motivation for only accepting reservations at stores on the first day.

My point is, if there are lots of people waiting in line when the store opens, all employees will be taking deposits until the line is cleared out. There will be no free store employees to give test drives until then.
I had previously scheduled a test drive in the afternoon which they have not canceled at this time. I hope they do not cancel on me as it's the only day I plan on being in town and it's a 5+ hour drive.

By the end of March the Model 3 will still be at the high left conceptual stage, prototype drawings are at least a year off. Don't expect any more than high level concept drawing.
Wow. Your insistence upon joining the leadership of the League of Lowered Expectations is rather vexing. Expect me to be among those to remind you with a rousing chorus of 'TOLJASEW!!!' when you are inevitably proven entirely wrong.

Elon has said he isn't sure if they will or keep their cards close. My thought was that meant we had too options. A rolling pre tooling alpha prototype. Or the skateboard showing motors and pack possible with seats and no other design cues other thing artist renditions. Just showing off the architecture of the next gen models.

Their will be substance if they are taking deposits but you might not see "the car"
Tesla Motors' initial presentations have always been substantive. What you describe as a 'rolling pre tooling alpha prototype' would essentially be a 'concept car'. Elon Musk has a strict 'NO CONCEPT CARS' policy at Tesla Motors. I expect that what Tesla shows at the end of this month will be much closer to 'The CAR' than the Chevrolet BOLT Concept was in January 2015. This isn't Faraway Future we're talking about here, after all...

This has to hit the sales of the S pretty hard if you ask me. Even make it obsolete.

HA! Uhm, no. The 7-Series isn't 'obsolete' because the 3-Series outsells it 11:1. The 7-Series is 'obsolete' because it has been outsold by the Model S for three calendar years straight. Just as have been the Panamera, and A8. Tesla Motors has already made it pretty clear they expect the Model ≡ to outsell the Model S by a wide margin.

BMW 3 series cars come with pretty much the same features and options as their 5-series cars. In fact, the 3-series cars are faster than their 5-series counterparts. There still has been a healthy demand for the 5-series, purely because it offers more cabin and trunk volume. It is just more spacious, and is also more luxurious in fit & finish. That does mean a lot to some.
Precisely. This is not an accident. It is by design. People will buy what they want, and can afford. Just as they always have.

Prediction: when the 3 is unveiled, a lot of people are going to quietly be a little disappointed at how small it is, and how similar, how "normal," it is compared to a few other cars, in looks.
Nah. I don't think so. This supposes that Franz Von Holzhausen has been sitting on his hands since early 2012... Or that Elon Musk really likes the Oldsmobile OhIt'sJustArental -- also known as the ALERO. The Model ≡ will be beautiful. It will be spacious. It will be awesome.

I would not be surprised at all if the whole 17" screen deal is gone, in favor of something much more radical, and Elon may wanna hold off revealing until later.
Unless someone has developed a reliable hard light holographic control system to rival that seen in the MASS EFFECT videogames...? The Model ≡ will have a 17" screen to command system operations just as do the Model S and Model X.

In Tesla fashion I expect a Model X front end at the reveal, and a different front end at production.
Superlative analysis! I expect you are likely correct in this assessment. Though, I am among the few here that has loved the Model X front end since its initial reveal at the end of September 2015. I would actually love that 'corporate face' to be present on future Tesla Motors products.

A concept car with exotic doors is not really an endorsement for similar doors on a vehicle like the Model 3 which is trying to be affordable and profitable. Tesla struggled with the falcon doors on the X, and may still be. We won't see them on the 3.
I was primarily speaking in terms of what others continually term the Model Y around here -- not the Model ≡. I do believe there will be a Model ≡ Crossover/Wagon of some sort. That will probably not have Falcon Wing Doors at all. But if a Model Y is a mid-range SUV as so many are convinced it will be, it could definitely use Falcon Wing Doors. In any case, I would not expect it to be revealed... soon.

I don't think the competition is going to start sweating until the Model 3 is on the street. Bob Lutz is the mouthpiece for the mainstream car makers' leadership. They believe Tesla will implode before the Model 3 hits the market.
Certain Competition will never sweat, because they'll find themselves out in the cold all of a sudden, wondering why no one is buying their cars anymore. Those who hope to avoid sweating will continue to release crippled electric vehicles as they continue to delay the process of making a final decision. Someday, somehow, some Competitors will see fit to make some rather spectacular electric vehicles -- but do so in limited numbers and at a minimum of a 100% premium in cost as to comparative Tesla Motors products.

If there are long lines at even a few stores, which most likely would be in California, it will make a good image on the TV news. That may be the motivation for only accepting reservations at stores on the first day.
I'm considering going to the Century City Tesla Store that day, because I could at least have a good meal and catch a movie while there in the mall. But as others have indicated, it would be nice to know what time of day the actual reveal will be done, and learn whether Tesla will be simulcasting at their stores.

Last edited:
Tesla Motors' initial presentations have always been substantive. What you describe as a 'rolling pre tooling alpha prototype' would essentially be a 'concept car'. Elon Musk has a strict 'NO CONCEPT CARS' policy at Tesla Motors. I expect that what Tesla shows at the end of this month will be much closer to 'The CAR' than the Chevrolet BOLT Concept was in January 2015. This isn't Faraway Future we're talking about here, after all...

Superlative analysis! I expect you are likely correct in this assessment. Though, I am among the few here that has loved the Model X front end since its initial reveal at the end of September 2015. I would actually love that 'corporate face' to be present on future Tesla Motors products.

Tesla has shown of an Alpha prototype twice now. Both at the Model S and X reveal they had a rolling Design prototype that came out of stage. I think Elon was saying basically "we don't build concepts, we build cars"

I do like the Model X front end. But as with the above Alpha prototypes the front end designs have changed in the past considerably. And in my option for the best each time. Both Van and Elon have said that the need to take the design of Tesla in steps to appeal to the buyers, door handles and false grills have been two such steps, both are on the way out.

Model 3 will likely have Model X design cues during the reveal and Model 3 design cues at launch.