Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone wants a Model S for a price less than a Bolt. Not going to happen.

I want a Model S for less than a Matchbox car, but it isn't going to happen.

You are correct you will not be able to get a Model S for less than a Bolt, but you will be able to get a Model 3 for less than a Bolt. Of course you may not want it as it might be missing a lot of things that are standard on the Bolt. So if you similarly equip them the Model 3 will cost more. But they aren't the same class of car.

I suspect very few people will buy a base, no-option Model 3. And if they do they aren't likely to get it for a while since optioned ones will likely be built first. (Or at least more of them will be, though they may throw some "stripper" ones in occasionally just so they can say they have sold some for $35k.)

You are just focussing on the base price. As I keep saying over and over, the other alternative is that the Model 3 is not an econobox, but the average selling price is far higher than the average selling price of the Bolt.

+1. As I said, BMW 3-Series base is $33k. I don't know many people driving a base model 3-Series. For the M3 to be "compelling" vs comparable ICE, it needs to be an entry level luxury car with RWD or AWD. Tesla is competing against ICE, not other EVs. It would not make sense to create a car in the same category as the Bolt or Leaf (economy hatch), as it would be white noise. You need to fill an untapped part of the market, ie entry level luxury EV.

You are just focussing on the base price. As I keep saying over and over, the other alternative is that the Model 3 is not an econobox, but the average selling price is far higher than the average selling price of the Bolt.

There may be an average selling price higher than base, as will be the case with the Bolt too. Indeed, Tesla may get more on average than Chevy on each one it sells. That delta has to be weighed against Chevy's economies of scale with all its other models using similar parts. To say the Model 3 will be luxury even though it sells for less than a Bolt at base price is Kool-Aid speak.

There may be an average selling price higher than base, as will be the case with the Bolt too. Indeed, Tesla may get more on average than Chevy on each one it sells. That delta has to be weighed against Chevy's economies of scale with all its other models using similar parts. To say the Model 3 will be luxury even though it sells for less than a Bolt at base price is Kool-Aid speak.

Not if they are squeezing their margins on the base knowing the 90% of their sales will have options with greater margins (like autopilot), whereas the Bolt may not go up much in price from the base.

And back on track...
Model3.png

Even when the Model 3 is "revealed" later next month, it seems that the actual production car may look different than that shown in the first pictures. Elon Musk has made a point of saying this repeatedly. I also note that looking at front of the X from the first released pictures, when compared to the actual production car, it's very different. So while what we will see next month will likely end up representing, to a limited extent, what will be produced, it's unlikely to be the same and may have some significant differences.

Since Tesla lead designer was formerly in Mazda, I think some of the mazda concepts images might look close to the Tesla Model 3 design.

I like the front of this one, someone can photo shop the model x facia to this. It does look more like an Aston Martin. but that can be said for the Tesla Model S too.
mazda concept 1.PNG
model 3 covered.PNG

naturally a 4-door version of this and a bigger windshield for better viewing angles I hope.

more pics of this car here
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/mazda-clemson-collaborate-deep-orange-3-concept/#slide-138848

Last edited: