Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weathertech Tesla Floormats curl up in the back row!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i hate this so much. i have put them out in heat to try and get them to uncurl with no luck. the front seat ones are great, 2nd row is the problem. see pics attached.

20160224_073902.jpg
20160224_073924.jpg

Same problem here. My driver's side mat is fine, but the front passenger side has some similar curling towards the front of the car. I think these floor mats are pretty great otherwise, but this does kind of drive me crazy. Every time my kids climb in the back seat, they step right on that corner, which only makes it worse. I'd love to hear of a solution if anyone has come up with one.

I do not (yet) have this problem with my 6-month old front or back mats. I do have a slight curling in the frunk all-weather mat in several locations, but not enough that I've taken any action.

For those with the problem, have you tried contacting Tesla Service NA? I would expect there is some sort of warranty on the mats, and who knows, this could be one of the things the redesigned mats are in place to prevent more occurrences of -- so if you consider it both an esthetic and safety issue should someone trip on the mats, Tesla may see fit to assist.

does anyone know if they can be warrantied?

a tesla serviceman told me that there are new weathertechs that are much stiffer, and that i might be able to go to a SC and get them exchanged out. not sure of my luck with that.

Weathertech product sucks. I recall 3 years ago I got a set for my wife's car and the corners are simply too weak - overrated product!

2015 P85D | Grey | Black Leather Next Gen | Carbon Fiber | Pano | 21" Turbine | Black Headliner | Prem Interior & Lighting | Autopilot | Smart Air | SubZero Weather | Dual Chargers| Sound Pkg + Aftermarket Tweets, AMPs, Sub | Custom Passport 9500ci | Clear Bra | Tint

Mine have the same problem.

Same here, but I have recently wondered if they would fit better (and lay flat) if you cut out the three sections in the front that fit around the seat hardware and rear AC. I almost took a box knife to mine the other day after re-flattening it by laying them face-down in the sun on the driveway.

Maybe we can get Abstract Ocean to make some proper, inexpensive floor mats.

Sometimes the folding over or warping is due to stresses that may be molded into your mats. If you don't get satisfaction from WT or Tesla, I would look to put some "relief" into the corner by a cutting small section to see if it helps. Any cuts take the warranty off the table for sure but it may help with some curling. YMMV.

I noticed mine folding up in the rear (worst on the R rear) after sevral months (maybe a year) of use. ALthough use really just means sitting in the back of my car.

I'm wondering if it would help to put a heat gun on it and try to straighten it out.
I just got a set of these from Rockville SC this week. So far all is good. Does this problem happen over time or due to high temps?

Mine are doing the same thing, and just noticed it this weekend. It leaks really cheap.
I am contacting weathertech about a replacement. The matt resides in the rear seat, and since my little ones are still in car seats - no one even touches this thing.

Very unfortunate, i purcahsed mine direct from weathertech FYI. Always thought the fit was a little off.

This is the response from weathertech:

"I would like to say thank you for your order, I am very sorry that is happening with your floor liner. I would like to explain how to fix that and its super simple.

If you remove the liner from the vehicle and simply (with your hands) take all the edges all the way around the liner and turn them the opposite position so instead of the edges pointing up .. they will now be pointed down (as if you are turning the liner inside out) Please leave the liner in that position just 1 night.. overnight while you are sleeping.

The next day you can flip the edges back the correct way and they will lay flush against the edges again.. there is a memory in our liners so with the liner sitting in the opposite position it will build a new memory to lay flush against the edges again

"

This is the response from weathertech:

"I would like to say thank you for your order, I am very sorry that is happening with your floor liner. I would like to explain how to fix that and its super simple.

If you remove the liner from the vehicle and simply (with your hands) take all the edges all the way around the liner and turn them the opposite position so instead of the edges pointing up .. they will now be pointed down (as if you are turning the liner inside out) Please leave the liner in that position just 1 night.. overnight while you are sleeping.

The next day you can flip the edges back the correct way and they will lay flush against the edges again.. there is a memory in our liners so with the liner sitting in the opposite position it will build a new memory to lay flush against the edges again

"
Is this a direct quote? If so, that has to be the most poorly written POS excuse I've read in a long time. If they know they curl because of molding memory, they should modify the molding process or modify the tooling to account for that. Hey Weathertech--do that yourself before you ship! I am going to take a look elsewhere for mats when the time comes I guess.

Yah - that was a dire quote. Further, it just seems they are blowing me off. Just to make sure this is clear, mine were purchased direct from Weathertech , not tesla.

I've asked for them to replace it or refund it, will let you know the reply. If they will refund, i'll just get them through Tesla.