Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weight of one PUP 20" wheel+tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
52.8 lbs according to my bathroom scale. This is with about 2,100 miles on them so add a few oz for tread and you're probably somewhere around 53 lbs new.
Thanks! From what I've read the wheel alone is 33 lbs so 30 lbs is the tire. That makes me wonder how much is saved with a smaller 18" wheel weighing 20ish lbs where the sidewalk would have to be higher and weigh more. Seems like the tire+wheel combo would also weigh at least 45 lbs?

Thanks! From what I've read the wheel alone is 33 lbs so 30 lbs is the tire. That makes me wonder how much is saved with a smaller 18" wheel weighing 20ish lbs where the sidewalk would have to be higher and weigh more. Seems like the tire+wheel combo would also weigh at least 45 lbs?
I swapped my wheel/tires out with 19" wheels that weigh just under 21 lbs each. The tires weigh about 24 lbs so total weight is right around 45 lbs before the lead weights. That's roughly 8 lbs per corner.

I don't think an 18" tire is going to weigh that much more than a 19 or 20". A PS4S in the stock size 235/45/18 weighs 23 lbs, which is one lb lighter than the foam filled tesla OEM 20" tire. The 245/40/19 PS4S weigh 24 lbs.

Last edited:
I need to pick up a set of 19” wheels and tires from the Service Center later this month. Does anyone know if these will fit inside my Model 3 or do I need to rent a pickup truck to get them home? Do they come boxed up or have any other packaging on them?

I need to pick up a set of 19” wheels and tires from the Service Center later this month. Does anyone know if these will fit inside my Model 3 or do I need to rent a pickup truck to get them home? Do they come boxed up or have any other packaging on them?
If they're not packaged, you shouldn't have an issue fitting them in the car. you can get two in the trunk and two more in the back seat.

The tire, if you are talking about the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the 235/35-20 weighs 24 lbs (and beastmode is referencing a non-Telsa specific version of the tire - which means that the stock wheel weighs about 29 lbs). That 24 lbs is both the weight on the Michelin product page, and, what it weighs on my bathroom scale (!). It is somewhat heavier than other 235/35-20s (between 1-3 lbs) probably due to a somewhat wider tread (.25 inches wider than any other 235/35), combined with the more commonly appreciated acoustic foam. Both are IMHO significant advantages to getting the Tesla specific version of the tire, instead of its lighter brethren. This is also true of the 275/30-20 4S tire - in Tesla form it is heavier and significantly wider, part of why I have consistently recommended AGAINST people putting the 285/30 on 10.5 rims, as the Tesla specfic tire has significantly more tread width than the 285/30.

As you go up in wheel diameter, and go down correspondingly in aspect ratio to more radical tires, you simultaneously: 1) gain in unsprung weight; 2) gain in handling and braking due to better tread stability under extreme loads (although there is a point of diminishing returns, somewhere around 40>35 aspect ratios; 3) gain in cost (both for wheels and tires!); 4) lose in ride compliance; 5) gain in vulnerability to both tire and wheel damage; 6) gain in cache value, 'cool factor', and appearance. In toto, it's a rather impressive collection of losses and vulnerabilities, in exchange for improvements in handling and appearance.

You just have to decide whether looking cooler, and some improvements in road holding and braking, are worth all those costs. It's a big package of tradeoffs.

Last edited:
I weighed my 20's on a postal shipping scale. 52 lbs. for the combination of 20" OEM Tesla Michelin PS4S + 20" OEM Tesla Performance wheels

40 lbs for my 18x8.5 wheels + 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S

52 lbs - 40 lbs = 12 lbs of weight savings per corner

12 lbs * 4 corners = 48 lbs of rotational mass and unsprung weight saved

I weighed my 20's on a postal shipping scale. 52 lbs. for the combination of 20" OEM Tesla Michelin PS4S + 20" OEM Tesla Performance wheels

40 lbs for my 18x8.5 wheels + 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S

52 lbs - 40 lbs = 12 lbs of weight savings per corner

12 lbs * 4 corners = 48 lbs of rotational mass and unsprung weight saved

Nice . . . this for sure would be the best setup to go to get best times 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Throw in some lightweight rotors, and the Li+ front battery and you could trim out another 40-45 lbs. Might be possible on a really hot day, with full SOC to see 0-60 at 3.0X with rollout and the quarter in under 11.5. Would probably be unlikely to break 3.0 even with ~90 lbs weight reduction and warm weather, but who knows? Perhaps there is another 5% tweak in a future update?

Got any plan for a trip to a local dragstrip?

Last edited:
Reactions: is2scooby
lightweight Lithium ion v. stock lead acid.

I've seen a couple of posts saying ~25 lb delta. That's a good chunk of weight to lose up high in the frunk area, just ahead of the 'firewall.' The cost of the aftermarket battery is a little prohibitive, IMHO. $400-$500 IIRC.

I think the mountain pass performance battery is $660. That's weight loss for the well-heeled:D:D

There are quite a few options ranging from $200 to $600+.

The one I got looks identical to the Ohhmu battery but cost $100 less. It was around $315 shipped.

The battery has one of the best dollar/weight saving ratio.

I should be under 4000 lbs (P3D+) after these mods.

Reactions: dfwatt
losing ~25lbs up high in the beltine towards the front is great.

I'm just afraid that something will go wrong/error code and they'll blame in on CCA under stock spec... Already ran into that with my amp/sub install...

losing ~25lbs up high in the beltine towards the front is great.

I'm just afraid that something will go wrong/error code and they'll blame in on CCA under stock spec... Already ran into that with my amp/sub install...

Yup - for sure that's a concern, but we can just wait and see how folks do with any particular Li+ battery in terms of freedom from throwing codes. I suspect MPP is going to be clean - we'll see about the cheaper competition. Must have a BMS I believe.

There are quite a few options ranging from $200 to $600+.

The one I got looks identical to the Ohhmu battery but cost $100 less. It was around $315 shipped.

The battery has one of the best dollar/weight saving ratio.

I should be under 4000 lbs (P3D+) after these mods.

Ok so don't be holding out on us! Link please! And please advise on whether it has BMS, and whether you are code free after a month or two.