Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pathetic, any professional SW company who cares about their reputation would not allow this to go on, but Elon is too busy making perfume to care how poorly they operate.

Long post / sorry...

TL: DR : Tesla runs a software rollout type known as AGILE. Most modern software companies do. And a key point of agile software methodology is to move fast and to fix the bugs as you move along. If you aren't ok with the bugs, you can drastically reduce them by disabling the "advanced" software update option.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agile methodology pushes the company to be constantly evolving.

If they followed the old waterfall method, its true, we would have far fewer bugs, but we also would only get updates 2 or 3 times a year (maybe less). One major issue with waterfall is that by the time you get the software out, often, enhancements you spent money / time working on, are no longer relevant / useful.

Again, most software is rolled out this way now, and many, very large / public companies can be used as examples.
  • Apple, how many bug fixes for IoS? They have released 3 bug fixes in a week and often have 5 or 6 for each new software package
  • Android, 8 updates in 2 months
  • Cisco, 8 bug fixes for their "firepower" firewall in 2 months
  • Windows, I lost count
  • Facebook / Chrome and many other are just as bad, if not worse
Yes, none of those companies build cars, but I would argue, a car is even more complicated. I am genuinely surprised we don't have more bugs than we do.

Also, software updates on devices such as the above are less noticeable as often they can be patched without your knowledge. Especially if some of the code is cloud based where running much of Tesla's code on cloud could be dangerous moving in and out of coverage.

The idea behind the "advanced" and normal software update options in a Tesla car is to help soften the blow / reduce the bugs that come along with Agile software development.

I do think they could wait a bit longer for those on the normal option to kill a few more bugs but for those that choose "advanced", you are essentially signing up to take the bad, with the good to have the latest greatest features.

Last edited:
Long post / sorry...

TL: DR : Tesla runs a software rollout type known as AGILE. Most modern software companies do. And a key point of agile software methodology is to move fast and to fix the bugs as you move along. If you aren't ok with the bugs, you can drastically reduce them by disabling the "advanced" software update option.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agile methodology pushes the company to be constantly evolving.

If they followed the old waterfall method, its true, we would have far fewer bugs, but we also would only get updates 2 or 3 times a year (maybe less). One major issue with waterfall is that by the time you get the software out, often, enhancements you spent money / time working on, are no longer relevant / useful.

Again, most software is rolled out this way now, and many, very large / public companies can be used as examples.
  • Apple, how many bug fixes for IoS? They have released 3 bug fixes in a week and often have 5 or 6 for each new software package
  • Android, 8 updates in 2 months
  • Cisco, 8 bug fixes for their "firepower" firewall in 2 months
  • Windows, I lost count
  • Facebook / Chrome and many other are just as bad, if not worse
Yes, none of those companies build cars, but I would argue, a car is even more complicated. I am genuinely surprised we don't have more bugs than we do.

Also, software updates on devices such as the above are less noticeable as often they can be patched without your knowledge. Especially if some of the code is cloud based where running much of Tesla's code on cloud could be dangerous moving in and out of coverage.

The idea behind the "advanced" and normal software update options in a Tesla car is to help soften the blow / reduce the bugs that come along with Agile software development.

I do think they could wait a bit longer for those on the normal option to kill a few more bugs but for those that choose "advanced", you are essentially signing up to take the bad, with the good to have the latest greatest features.
Is it correct that Advanced will download and install updates as soon as available without user intervention while Standard waits for user approval before intallation.

Is it correct that Advanced will download and install updates as soon as available without user intervention while Standard waits for user approval before intallation.
They both wait for your input to install them. The difference is what versions are made available.

The request to install can get annoying though, and is more annoying on advanced (if you don't install them) simply because you get more builds sent.

I have heard of them forcing an update only once or twice and it was part of a "safety recall" but 99% of the time, regardless of which you choose, you can still continue to bypass them as you see fit.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I wish that there was an option beyond Advanced where they would actually release the latest to eager users the minute that it gets posted. If there was I would've gotten 2022.36.1, 2022.36.2, 2022.36.3, and 2022.36.4 already. I don't mind installing software updates every week, it's not like it's some huge inconvenience. My Windows PC has updates every week, I don't complain. What I do mind is being stuck on 2022.28 and watching everybody else getting 2022.36 variants while I just have to sit and wait until their black box process decides that I get to give it a shot.

I'm still on 2022.28.2 on my refresh LR MX, and the buzzing is driving me insane. I switched to Advanced for software updates and I opted out for the FSD beta(hadn't gotten it yet) to see if it will allow me to get the push for the update. Is there anything else I can do to get the latest update or one that fixes the buzzing? Last 5 of my VIN is 54745.

I'm still on 2022.28.2 on my refresh LR MX, and the buzzing is driving me insane. I switched to Advanced for software updates and I opted out for the FSD beta(hadn't gotten it yet) to see if it will allow me to get the push for the update. Is there anything else I can do to get the latest update or one that fixes the buzzing? Last 5 of my VIN is 54745.
Nothing to accelerate the software update. But you can temporarily eliminate the buzz by turning off sentry and closing mobile app.

Make sure you're connected to WiFi. I then emailed the service center and demanded the update

🐝

I wish that there was an option beyond Advanced where they would actually release the latest to eager users the minute that it gets posted. If there was I would've gotten 2022.36.1, 2022.36.2, 2022.36.3, and 2022.36.4 already. I don't mind installing software updates every week, it's not like it's some huge inconvenience. My Windows PC has updates every week, I don't complain. What I do mind is being stuck on 2022.28 and watching everybody else getting 2022.36 variants while I just have to sit and wait until their black box process decides that I get to give it a shot.
I’m with you Fleetwood75. Still waiting for a 2022.36.x. Sunday morning and I still have the eeeeeeeee on my MSLR as well. Frustrating.

I wonder how many cars have the eeeeeeeee. This thread will go away as slowly as the eeeeeeee goes away. My car still has it, so here's a thread bump.
Screenshot_20221023_065114.jpg

Reactions: Fleetwood75
Their
Great, let us know when your car us updated. I don't wanna spend $ on lawyers for a software update. I do wonder what Tesla's rollout procedure is. Specifically how they determine which car should be updated at which time.  Zoomer, u liked my post when I said it wasZoomed, my situation was unique necause it had the buzzing and immediately when I brought it home, so I brought it back to the highway where they delivered it and they told me to pound sand. It piqued a couple attnys attention cause they concealed a material defect at time of sale. I don't know the rollout schedule for 36.5 but I know my contacting the sevice center, after many other contacts, seemed to have created some traction. They also said make sure its connected to wi-fi and they will que it up ASAP. These guys can fix it. Just reference the 1k+ posts on this thread. Tesla needs to do better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024_050942.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024_050942.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 32
Zoomer, u liked my post when I said it was fixed, my situation was unique because it had the buzzing and immediately when I brought it home, so I brought it back to the highway where they delivered it and they told me to pound sand. It piqued a couple attnys attention cause they concealed a material defect at time of sale. I don't know the rollout schedule for 36.5 but I know my contacting the sevice center, after many other contacts, seemed to have created some traction. They also said make sure its connected to wi-fi and they will que it up ASAP. These guys can fix it. Just reference the 1k+ posts on this thread. Tesla needs to do better.. just cause they want to make sales doesn't mean they can hide material defects. I'm lucky mine came with the defect and they admitted knowing about it, concealing a defect is fraud. Everyone getting pushed the defect, well that's something else. I just say bug the s.c. that they need to fix the bug they gave your car. That eeeeeeeeeeee is really bad. 36.5 fixes it tho

Zoomer, u liked my post when I said it was fixed, my situation was unique because it had the buzzing and immediately when I brought it home, so I brought it back to the highway where they delivered it and they told me to pound sand. It piqued a couple attnys attention cause they concealed a material defect at time of sale. I don't know the rollout schedule for 36.5 but I know my contacting the sevice center, after many other contacts, seemed to have created some traction. They also said make sure its connected to wi-fi and they will que it up ASAP. These guys can fix it. Just reference the 1k+ posts on this thread. Tesla needs to do better.. just cause they want to make sales doesn't mean they can hide material defects. I'm lucky mine came with the defect and they admitted knowing about it, concealing a defect is fraud. Everyone getting pushed the defect, well that's something else. I just say bug the s.c. that they need to fix the bug they gave your car. That eeeeeeeeeeee is really bad. 36.5 fixes it tho
Yeah, so many posts here. It is laborious to keep up on some of the threads inside the threads. I did send SC a request to update. They connected to my car and repeated back to me what my car says to me when i check it: your software is up to date as of this date. I'll wait.