Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird buzzing sound after updating to 2022.24.6 [Fixed in 2022.36.1]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of last nights update to 40.4 I now have a slight but extremely high pitched whine coming from the car. It’s difficult to pinpoint exact where its emanating from but the situation of when it’s happening vs when it’s not is identical to the prior buzz we have experienced in this thread. (Only happens when awake and the high voltage is engaged) Anyone else??
I am on 40.4 and do not experience this, but then again maybe its out of my hearing range if its that high pitched? I'll try to remember to ask the wife to listen for it later.

It does make sense they would try again, if it truly reduced power drain as others reported / speculated, Tesla would try to bring it back just at a frequency less annoying / noticeable...

As of last nights update to 40.4 I now have a slight but extremely high pitched whine coming from the car. It’s difficult to pinpoint exact where its emanating from but the situation of when it’s happening vs when it’s not is identical to the prior buzz we have experienced in this thread. (Only happens when awake and the high voltage is engaged) Anyone else??
Can you post a video?

Alright, so the iPhone was able to capture the frequency! Here are two attempts to capture the noise and one video of what the car sounds like when its asleep (lack of noise). I walked around the car and pinpointed where the noise was most audible and it happens to be loudest / emanating from the driver side wheel well.

Video 1: No high pitched noise present when car is asleep. Fairly quiet garage, just some fan noise from an attic fan over the garage is audible.

Video 2: Car wakes up and you hear the click of the high voltage relay kicking in. Then you can hear a whirring noise which sounds like the cooling pump for the battery but also you can slightly hear the hitch pitched whine I am talking about.

Video 3: Car is now awake and I have moved to the driver side wheel well where the noise is emanating from. The noise is audible most clearly in this video.

Hope this helps!

Alright, so the iPhone was able to capture the frequency! Here are two attempts to capture the noise and one video of what the car sounds like when its asleep (lack of noise). I walked around the car and pinpointed where the noise was most audible and it happens to be loudest / emanating from the driver side wheel well.

Video 1: No high pitched noise present when car is asleep. Fairly quiet garage, just some fan noise from an attic fan over the garage is audible.

Video 2: Car wakes up and you hear the click of the high voltage relay kicking in. Then you can hear a whirring noise which sounds like the cooling pump for the battery but also you can slightly hear the hitch pitched whine I am talking about.

Video 3: Car is now awake and I have moved to the driver side wheel well where the noise is emanating from. The noise is audible most clearly in this video.

Hope this helps!
Model X or Y? I hear something but not a high pitched whine like what existed before 2022.36.

This is a 2022 Model X Long Range. The pitch is much higher than what existed previously. Previously was, in my opinion, better described as a humming or buzzing and this noise is almost so high that it could be described as an electrical whine or even a hiss.
I could hear what you were referring to in your video (THANKS!).

Thankfully, neither myself, my wife, nor my kids could hear it from my 2022 Tesla S (on 40.4)....

Reactions: CCMac
I can't hear any whine sound in these videos...

It might be because the sound is such a high frequency that it is inaudible on many systems. I could hear it, most prominently on the third clip, but that was only after I got an equalizer that allowed me to adjust the output of my computer audio system. I had recorded my 'whine' for the service center earlier and my system would not play it back with the default EQ settings.