Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Model 3 white powder underneath car after it rains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so splain this lucy...

why hasn't this happened in the
30 years previous to a model 3
being parked in same location
in garage?

now, for sake of argument, why
does this only happen forward of
model 3's front tires? not closer to
garage walls or doors?

nothing has changed except the
car parked over this exact same
concrete, so far now, these explanations
are still horse hockey, as only
variable is the car!
I like to read this in my best Willam Shatner/Kirk voice.

do you think I need to switch cars after having other vehicles in same spot for 30 years?

really?
I’ve seen this many times in airplane hangars! It’s not related to the car other than ICE cars have a lot of residual heat that will limit the amount of transport of minerals. A proper moisture barrier was likely not placed under the slab when it was constructed!

do you think I need to switch cars after having other vehicles in same spot for 30 years?

really?

if you want to solve the mystery yourself in a scientific manner, then yes. Otherwise, even taking what you say at face value, I'll say it's a coincidence that you never noticed this for 30 years and suddenly it's happening w/ model 3.

fwiw, this has happened to all my garage slabs in my various houses, various cars, with one notable exception: one house had a garage slab that was sealed. No powder in that one.

Does Efflorescence Damage Concrete? No, But Looks Like Scary Mold!

if you want to solve the mystery yourself in a scientific manner, then yes. Otherwise, even taking what you say at face value, I'll say it's a coincidence that you never noticed this for 30 years and suddenly it's happening w/ model 3.

fwiw, this has happened to all my garage slabs in my various houses, various cars, with one notable exception: one house had a garage slab that was sealed. No powder in that one.

Does Efflorescence Damage Concrete? No, But Looks Like Scary Mold!

the missing link here is not a scientific approach after knowing the answer?
and the white powder not in the least resembles mold?

it’s not coincidence that I’ve missed white powder residure for 30:years,
and it’s not a mystery, but given that everyone’s locked into slab effervescence
ignoring the previous reports here and OP’ers report, ask your mobile ranger
next time he stops by! mine knew that it’s common under model 3’s he’s seen
in his service calls, he just didn’t know what caused the white powder residue
after moistur sweating off the front radiator, nor do I?

given your reluctance to take my experience on face value, if it makes you feel
better, and as much as a leap it might be, call it concrete effervescence...

I just know the variable over 30 years is the model 3, as this wasn’t present before,
isn’t present abcent 3 parking elsewhere, and common sighting reported by ranger.

that is all!

the missing link here is not a scientific approach after knowing the answer?
and the white powder not in the least resembles mold?

it’s not coincidence that I’ve missed white powder residure for 30:years,
and it’s not a mystery, but given that everyone’s locked into slab effervescence
ignoring the previous reports here and OP’ers report, ask your mobile ranger
next time he stops by! mine knew that it’s common under model 3’s he’s seen
in his service calls, he just didn’t know what caused the white powder residue
after moistur sweating off the front radiator, nor do I?

given your reluctance to take my experience on face value, if it makes you feel
better, and as much as a leap it might be, call it concrete effervescence...

I just know the variable over 30 years is the model 3, as this wasn’t present before,
isn’t present abcent 3 parking elsewhere, and common sighting reported by ranger.

that is all!

if it's between white mold and salt, there's a really easy test to definitively test your (and your ranger's) assumption. Spray a bit of bleach over the white stuff and let it dry. A light mist is enough. If most of the white stuff disappears after it's dry, then it was mold. If there's just as much white stuff afterwards, it's efflorescence.

It's not the concrete.

I noticed when washing my white car that when running a cloth along the bottom panel in front of the left rear tire, I get a white residue on the cloth. Not from anywhere else on the car. I called service and their paint guy is going to look at it when I take it in for another unrelated appointment next week.

Seems to me this is a paint issue. Almost like there is no clear coat over a certain area, or poor paint curing over a certain area. This is paint wearing.

It's not the concrete.

I noticed when washing my white car that when running a cloth along the bottom panel in front of the left rear tire, I get a white residue on the cloth. Not from anywhere else on the car. I called service and their paint guy is going to look at it when I take it in for another unrelated appointment next week.

Seems to me this is a paint issue. Almost like there is no clear coat over a certain area, or poor paint curing over a certain area. This is paint wearing.

sounds like you have a completely different issue than what the OP reported. Hard to imagine that a paint issue would result in OP's photo:

bz7Q06P.jpg

if it's between white mold and salt, there's a really easy test to definitively test your (and your ranger's) assumption. Spray a bit of bleach over the white stuff and let it dry. A light mist is enough. If most of the white stuff disappears after it's dry, then it was mold. If there's just as much white stuff afterwards, it's efflorescence.

swing n a miss as they say in baseball!

sounds like you have a completely different issue than what the OP reported. Hard to imagine that a paint issue would result in OP's photo:

bz7Q06P.jpg

notice where the white powder is located...
if it were either of the guesses, being scientific
it’s location would be spread over entire area
of concrete, not concentric to the results I, OP’er
and rangers I have spoken with have observed.

notice where the white powder is located...
if it were either of the guesses, being scientific
it’s location would be spread over entire area
of concrete, not concentric to the results I, OP’er
and rangers I have spoken with have observed.

No, it would be concentrated around the wheels or wherever water drips down from the car. Concrete is porous and water is very sticky, so unless the concrete floor is saturated with water, it won't flow too far from where it's dripping from.

With internal combustion vehicles, the underside is warmer (exhaust, transmission, brake discs ... everything), therefore more of the water that comes in touch with the car will evaporate rather than drip down. Between that and the reported tendency of Model 3s underbody panels to get soaked, it's possible that the Model 3 just dumps more water onto your garage floor than other ICE vehicles.

Reactions: TT97 and MP3Mike
No, it would be concentrated around the wheels or wherever water drips down from the car. Concrete is porous and water is very sticky, so unless the concrete floor is saturated with water, it won't flow too far from where it's dripping from.

With internal combustion vehicles, the underside is warmer (exhaust, transmission, brake discs ... everything), therefore more of the water that comes in touch with the car will evaporate rather than drip down. Between that and the reported tendency of Model 3s underbody panels to get soaked, it's possible that the Model 3 just dumps more water onto your garage floor than other ICE vehicles.

well, I could say a wide mouthed bass skated between the front wheels,
but that wouldn’t bring either of us closer to the why white powder is
appearing in the condensation that comes off model 3 underbody?

the white powder observed has not been concentric to underbody
being soaked, OP’er didn’t mention wet driving prior, neither have
mobile rangers related to wet atmospheric conditions as part of event?

strike two?

You are right, the OP didn’t mention wet driving. They just titled the thread:
Weird Model 3 white powder underneath car after it rains

my observance, and rangers experiences are
not concentric to wet driving,but if effervescence
or ICE vehicles heat evaporations theories explain
it for you, go with it!

notice in photo provided, white powder is dry,
while puddles still exist nearby?

my occupancies are though (by ranger)
as to have occurred after battery cooling
during normal overnight battery charging?

still doesn’t explain white powder from
what should normally be condensation?

Last edited: