Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird phone as key issues. Confirm my observations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Contrary to popular belief, I will call Tesla out where they have issues. Phone as key is one of them.

Easiest way to fix this is Apple buys them, loads IOS in the car and that *sugar* will work fine on any iPhone or iWatch.

Otherwise.. phone in my pocket allows me to open door without issue. However, once I am in the car, TeslaPAD tells me I need to tap the key card to start driving. Unlocking my iPhone with face ID seems to enable driving.

HUGE hassle. I end up just dumping my phone in the cup holder which is going to bite me some day...

However, if my car is set to play audio from my phone via bluetooth, I can keep phone in pocket and engage drive without playing funky phone dance.

Anyone else see behavior as reported?

Thanks

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and outdoors
Once my phone actually opens the door, I have no problem starting the car.

Unfortunately my iPhone 6 Plus connection to my car has gotten worse. It now unlocks the car like 50% of the time. I hate having to stand there constantly pumping the door handle until it figures out my phone is there. I usually have a 25% chance of having the disable/enable the BT radio in the phone to get it to work, which gives me a small sliver of hope that when I get around to upgrading my ancient dinosaur phone, it might help the issue.

I swear my kids are going to break a handle one of these days with their incessant yanking because it won't open.

Nope S9 plus. Literally 100% of the time. Just need to make sure not swiped on the S. Wish it would work on both at same time.

Face ID? Maybe an issue with your face:p:p couldn't help myself.

Could be my face. When I was born, my doctor slapped my mom. Also, I think a pork chop had to be tied around my neck before the family dog would play with me..

It is an interesting first world problem when keyless entry doesn’t work because the app is locked on to your OTHER Tesla. :)

Too bad I can only put my 2nd and 3rd homes on homelink because software doesn’t support houses 4 through 7. Maybe easier just to keep a separate Tesla at each home.

All kidding aside it’s bizzare to be good enough to open but not good enough to start the car.

Another possibility is the keycard in my wallet might be conflicting with my phone.

Not taking a key card with me though would be just extremely poor risk management..

Contrary to popular belief, I will call Tesla out where they have issues.
I thought the popular belief was that Tesla had you on commission for up-sells to Performance?? ;)

It sounds like a backgrounding issue of some sort, which iOS has a history of not being the greatest at since they are aggressive towards power conservation on this part (alway in pursuit of that svelte physical device profile!). If above disconnection and reconnection of Bluetooth suggested doesn't work, maybe check in the Tesla App settings for the Background App Refresh? Maybe try cycle that off then on (or just turn on if it's off).

Also, just guessing, but there maybe be a Notifications setting in the Bluetooth for the pairing with the Model 3. I don't have mine yet so can't check to see if that's suppose to be on but it might matter? Fiddling with that (different from whatever is is now) is something to try.

P.S. Yes, this is tossing chicken bones to see what'll work. Yes, this is how IT pros actually do their job. DON'T TELL ANYONE THIS SECRET OR WE'LL HAVE TO HAVE YOU DELETED!

Contrary to popular belief, I will call Tesla out where they have issues. Phone as key is one of them.

Easiest way to fix this is Apple buys them, loads IOS in the car and that *sugar* will work fine on any iPhone or iWatch.

Otherwise.. phone in my pocket allows me to open door without issue. However, once I am in the car, TeslaPAD tells me I need to tap the key card to start driving. Unlocking my iPhone with face ID seems to enable driving.

HUGE hassle. I end up just dumping my phone in the cup holder which is going to bite me some day...

However, if my car is set to play audio from my phone via bluetooth, I can keep phone in pocket and engage drive without playing funky phone dance.

Anyone else see behavior as reported?

Thanks
You do realize that Apple isn't the most popular phone anymore. And getting Apple to fix it would probably make more phones not work!

I have had no problems with the phone key on my iPhone X. I do not have FaceID turn on in the Tesla app, however. I had expected to encounter some issues due to reading posts here but fortunately have not had any.

BT LE for entry and BT A2DP for audio are two different things.

I had an issue with summon communicating with the car once, but force closing and restarting the Tesla app fixed it.

I wish the Apple watch supported BLE.

Could be my face. When I was born, my doctor slapped my mom. Also, I think a pork chop had to be tied around my neck before the family dog would play with me..

It is an interesting first world problem when keyless entry doesn’t work because the app is locked on to your OTHER Tesla. :)

Too bad I can only put my 2nd and 3rd homes on homelink because software doesn’t support houses 4 through 7. Maybe easier just to keep a separate Tesla at each home.

All kidding aside it’s bizzare to be good enough to open but not good enough to start the car.

Another possibility is the keycard in my wallet might be conflicting with my phone.

Not taking a key card with me though would be just extremely poor risk management..
I have an iPhone 7; this happens on occasion to me. I can open the door but can't start the car. If I sit there for 10-20 seconds, it will authorize me.

I also get the occasional lag where I have to wait a few seconds before my phone is recognized. Although keyless entry is not 100 percent, I love the phone as a key option.