Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Wheels Situation AWD-LR 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a service appointment this morning with a mobile service tech. He was investigating for rattles, we had to remove the aero wheel covers as I also wanted to install my newly purchased wheel center cap kit. To our surprise, we found out odd damage to my 18" wheels. The aero covers had never been removed in the past, and I can't quite seem to understand where this damage came from. I quickly cleaned the dirt off with a microfiber tower to confirm it wasn't just weird dust accumulation.

The tech recommended me to contact the service center and verify what can be done with them.

I wanted to send you guys the pictures, see what you would think. Please note, the damage is in the same areas on all four wheels, and it has nothing to do with curb rash.

Image from iOS (9).jpg Image from iOS (5).jpg Image from iOS (6).jpg Image from iOS (4).jpg Image from iOS (2).jpg Image from iOS (1).jpg Image from iOS.jpg

Attachments

• Image from iOS (8).jpg
    Image from iOS (8).jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    669 KB · Views: 126
  • Image from iOS (3).jpg
    Image from iOS (3).jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 115
Escalate it as you have nothing to lose by doing so. Worst they offer you nothing, Best they offer to fix or replace(low expectation on this). Maybe they give you free touch up paint. You can also buy the touch up paint off Amazon that matches really well with the finish on the 18’s. Plenty of YouTube videos that tell you which one to get and how to proceed. I wouldn’t call this normal wear and tear...more like a poor design choice. They should issue some new warning to take the Aeros covers off for routine cleaning.

I keep mine on and stopped taking them off after the first time I washed my car.

It's not great that it happens but I'm not sure what's to be expected. To me its' a little like being frustrated your shoe laces create creases on your shoe facings... Also seems like a very quick fix with touch up paint.

I have to say it seems a little like don't-care-ism based on costing constraints; it would be obvious (I would think) that the plastic cover would vibrate during normal use and abraid the surface of the rim. A modified design likely could have been done but those were an effective (cost and otherwise) solution

If I had those covers, and saw this thread before it was too late, I would put some clear bra on either the wheels or the back sides of the covers.

I'd case something a little thicker, or reapplied with some frequency, would be needed but yeah they flex and move when the wheel rolls.

Not affiliated with these folks EV01 but they have aero wheels with a more complicate design which probably won't rub like these do.

I'd still see if Tesla will do anything but wouldn't hold my breath

I kinda doubt the wheel covers are at fault. You'd obviously see a multitude of people with the same exact issue - how many millions of M3 owners keep on the covers?? Mine are on (17k miles) and I don't see any such damage.

The question I'd be asking is whether or not the tires were ever replaced. To me it looks like it could be a shoddy job removing and installing tires on the affected rims. Did you buy new or pre-owned?