Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday the 13th of November, I flew from WA to Orange county to buy a White 2020 model Y, seller was asking $50K, I said I had $48K, we agreed, so I sign paperwork, title, and photo his id, and made sure everything matched. Well, I get home and try registering it with Tesla, and I get an e-mail from a rental company in San Diego, saying I don't have the authorization to transfer ownership. Turns out I was sold a Rental car with fake title, by a seller with fake id.....Lost $48K. Can anyone suggest a positive solution to my costly issue?

Yikes. That totally sucks…

I’d contact your bank assuming you bought it with a cashiers check. And try to get it reversed from the bank account the money was deposited in to. It’s very likely wire fraud and the two banks can talk to each other to probably get the real ID of the person who took the money.

Fill out police report.
I paid $30K with cashiers check which has been marked fraud, and so far has not been cashed. I have to wait a couple months to get the money back. As for the $18K cash...I am sure the scammer just was happy to make that much from such little work. I also do have a few police reports..up here, and down there. Rental car company also has one going as well. Hope we catch that Rat.

This is very unfortunate. What was the logic used to split the payment cash+Check and who proposed it ? I can understand that only the check value may be registered as the sale price and one can save some state tax during the registration process. However if the Seller proposed it then his/her intention was very clear take the money and run as most likely the seller knew that there is a high possibility that the check will get stopped by the Bank so cash is a good option. For all you know the seller may never deposit or has no intention to deposit the check so as not to leave any trail which can lead back to him. you have our sympathies, but there is very little hope for a positive outcome.

Yikes. That totally sucks…

I’d contact your bank assuming you bought it with a cashiers check. And try to get it reversed from the bank account the money was deposited in to. It’s very likely wire fraud and the two banks can talk to each other to probably get the real ID of the person who took the money.

Fill out police report.
The seller has minimum of 2 fake id's. Nevada and a CA, my guess is he has even more. Be on the look out for this guy!!!

Attachments

• 48B96D52-3297-472D-902A-528F366FD9B6.JPG
    48B96D52-3297-472D-902A-528F366FD9B6.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 0568D8D6-1F6B-4586-8673-A0DD3FC6DD62.JPG
    0568D8D6-1F6B-4586-8673-A0DD3FC6DD62.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 396
This is very unfortunate. What was the logic used to split the payment cash+Check and who proposed it ? I can understand that only the check value may be registered as the sale price and one can save some state tax during the registration process. However if the Seller proposed it then his/her intention was very clear take the money and run as most likely the seller knew that there is a high possibility that the check will get stopped by the Bank so cash is a good option. For all you know the seller may never deposit or has no intention to deposit the check so as not to leave any trail which can lead back to him. you have our sympathies, but there is very little hope for a positive outcome.
The reason, and I understand: cashiers checks can be faked...but I also told him I am not comfortable bring more then $20K especially on a plane....so he settled with 30K cashiers check and $18K cash...correct, I bet he never tries to cash the check....simply because he already has the cash, and can spend it any way he wants. So its a waiting game, and at this point, I am happy to get the $30K back, and hopefully put it down on a brand new Tesla....I also reached out to the rental company and offered to buy the tesla fair and square at a fair price when I get the money from the cashiers check...hopefully they consider that option.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
On Saturday the 13th of November, I flew from WA to Orange county to buy a White 2020 model Y, seller was asking $50K, I said I had $48K, we agreed, so I sign paperwork, title, and photo his id, and made sure everything matched. Well, I get home and try registering it with Tesla, and I get an e-mail from a rental company in San Diego, saying I don't have the authorization to transfer ownership. Turns out I was sold a Rental car with fake title, by a seller with fake id.....Lost $48K. Can anyone suggest a positive solution to my costly issue?
You didn’t think to run a carfax or question a deal that was too good to be true?