Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pic is not of the same person. In the picture he has a distinctive black mole next to his left eye and in the DL there is no mole next to his left eye.

Attachments

• liscense front.jpg
    liscense front.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 237
Sorry to hear about this happening and hope authorities put some effort into finding the guy.

When I sold my Model S to AutoNation, I showed them proof that I unlinked the car from my Tesla account. OP, I don’t blame you for not knowing in advance but hopefully this helps future buyers. For future buyers, have the seller prove they actually have access to the car through the app and not just with the keycard (3/Y) or keyfob (S/X). The price did seem too good to be true but I suppose it’s good the scammer didn’t receive an even higher payment. Hoping that karma sets things right for you in life, and ditto for the fraudster.

I think I filled out an FBI report...it was an economic crimes form....but yeah, I just don't want anyone else to fall for this...so make sure you check with Tesla before giving money to seller. That and maybe meet at DOL so you can make sure it's in your name before paying.

Not much help but it's the best I have to offer - when you file your 2021 taxes try and include the theft as a deduction

Here's IRS Topic #515

I'm not sure how this works, but if it's a deduction, you might want to bunch Property taxes in 2021 to make it worth itemizing

And I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you
I was thinking the same thing so I looked it up. It seems the theft/casualty loss has to be related to a federally declared disaster. Went into effect in 2018 and is locked till 2025. 😢

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC