Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People who commit these criminal acts are sociopaths. Best to steer clear of them and let the proper authorities deal with investigating their crimes.

I would be concerned if they had a copy of your driver's license, your photo, phone number, your home address or one of your personal checks. This would make it easier for them to steal your identity or even sell your checking account information to a fraud ring. (Keep a close watch on your checking account for the next year for any unauthorized automated clearing house (ACH) debit transactions. A fraudster only needs a photo of one of your checks to obtain the checking account information needed to initiate ACH debit fraud.

OC is a major area for all types of fraud. There were even seminars taught out of hotels in OC on how to commit wire fraud. (Not a crime unless, until you actually commit the fraud.)
This! Definitely ensure you have fraud prevention in place. Check your stuff, notify anyone who you think he had access to. You’ll know how much information he has. It also takes some very simple information to gain someone’s credit history etc. Your phone number is your safe. Have you phone number locked to your provider so it can’t be transferred and ensures you keep it, add 2factor auth to all your accounts. If you can, flag your accounts of fraud with credit bureau’s. Everyone in general should do this. It’s easier to defend against an attack if you’re prepared, instead of trying to fight off an attack from a fraudster. This is the true danger here, as your loss can turn into immense discomfort if you become a victim of identity theft. I work in software security and I was a victim of identity theft at the start of the pandemic. I was able to fight and kee them off my back but it was extremely hard and had a lot of close calls to losing it all. It still stresses me as I will never know if they decide to come back.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Ormond and jwb2781
I was going to split up the cash, but realized I have the receipts from that same day showing when and how much I took out of my bank. I also didn't look suspicious....which helps. Looking back, I should have brought $100 and put the rest on a personal check :p

I was going to split up the cash, but realized I have the receipts from that same day showing when and how much I took out of my bank. I also didn't look suspicious....which helps. Looking back, I should have brought $100 and put the rest on a personal check :p
How did the cash/check discussion
happen? Did the scammer ask for a split payment, or cash? Anytime someone asks for a cashiers check or cold hard cash I get a little suspicious. Someone in good sorts and with nothing to hide wouldn’t mind a check for the whole amount. The cash component is strange…

happen? Did the scammer ask for a split payment, or cash? Anytime someone asks for a cashiers check or cold hard cash I get a little suspicious. Someone in good sorts and with nothing to hide wouldn’t mind a check for the whole amount. The cash component is strange…
Yeah, I have bought a few cars in CA....and I always pay cash....but have never spent over $20K. I have always found cars being cheaper in CA...not sure why, maybe just a lot more people=more options. Scammer wanted cash, but I told him I won't bring more then $20K in cash...so I said rest in Cashiers check...so that's good that I kept to my deal, just wish it was even more cashiers check and less cash. Lesson learned.

Let's catch this guy!

Reactions: Ormond
I Disagree. Anyone can fake a cashiers or bank check or can stop/reverse payment moments after leaving for out of state. I like many sell items over 10k and if it’s not cash your not leaving with the item unless I know you. Cash is the only honest transaction. (Unless the items isn’t theirs lol)

Yeah, I have bought a few cars in CA....and I always pay cash....but have never spent over $20K. I have always found cars being cheaper in CA...not sure why, maybe just a lot more people=more options. Scammer wanted cash, but I told him I won't bring more then $20K in cash...so I said rest in Cashiers check...so that's good that I kept to my deal, just wish it was even more cashiers check and less cash. Lesson learned.

Let's catch this guy!
I see.. well, as most people have already said, it’s unlikely that we will catch him. Hell, I had a felony hit run accident against my MY a few months ago and the police (aside from cooperating with my insurance) have been less than helpfull. We are living in a “f*ck it” time I’m afraid..

If the TSA had found out that you were carrying $18k, they might have had some questions for you and may have confiscated the money anyway. Whether that would have been better or worse is debatable

How Much Cash Can You Fly with in the U.S.? | Las Vegas Advisor

TSA Seized Legal Money, Won't Return - Live and Let's Fly

How to fly with large amounts of cash
Sometimes they aren't as bright as that... One time I got a call from US Customs because a relative was visiting, and they were detained and had their cash siezed becuase it wasn't declared... They said they sized $300,000.... The idiots actually seized ₩300,000, which was worth about $300 USD.

• Funny
Reactions: torifile
This is terrible that this happened to you. Hopefully he is brought justice.

For anyone else reading this there are a couple things I would have had an issue with.

1) It seems like a good deal for a highly desirable vehicle in a red hot used vehicle market. Huge red flag.

2) A carfax or auto check should reveal some information about when and where it was registered.

3) He wants a cash deal. Another big red flag. This is a significant amount of money and it’s not really safe or wise to carry that much cash around. Always do a deposit though something like PayPal.

4) Sadly it may even be a good idea to contact the police to verify the vehicle isn’t stolen and to also make sure the registration info lines up. Even if the police can’t tell you who it is registered to they should be able to give a yes or no to the information you have on the vehicle.

5) Lastly, I would do some investigation into the individual selling the vehicle as well.

It’s terrible someone has to do all of this stuff but there are so many fraudsters out there today. Never part with cash is a big lesson here. If you refuse ti deal in cash the fraudster will move on. A legit seller will understand and be fine with check and PayPal.

One time I got a call from US Customs because a relative was visiting, and they were detained and had their cash siezed becuase it wasn't declared... They said they sized $300,000.... The idiots actually seized ₩300,000, which was worth about $300 USD.

We bought a travel guide from a garage sale once and inside there was a banknote for a huge sum ... but in Hungarian Forints

I was excited until I went to check the exchange rate and it's (currently) 1 Forint = 0.0031 USD, so this note was maybe a fiver.

Still a profit though - but not if you include the airfare necessary to get to spend it

Well here is an update: The thief cashed the check!!! Not sure when, because the bank won't tell me, the bank also said they didn't see any notes about this from last monday!!! I am beyond pissed! $30K cashiers check and $20K in cash....the thief is now $50K richer, and my bank didn't do a thing!! They said they told economic crimes, but I thought that's what they did a week ago...anyways, looks to be no good news for me. Prayers they catch him, and somehow I get some money back, or my job makes me a lot of money in 2022...either way, I am out $50K with no positive money in sight. :-(

100% banks are required to record down information on stuff like that, usually anything over $10k gets questioned more. Frankly the bank should have contacted the issuing bank and verified that the funds and check was legit, even if it's a certified check. Further, banks often don't just have $50k in cash laying around, so they probably would have asked him to wait awhile for that amount to be cashed or maybe requested him to come back later in the day to hand him the money... I mean that would have been 500 $100 bills. Doesn't sound like a lot, but banks don't like keeping big amounts of money on hand and often do money transfers daily to keep cash on hand at workable levels but not insane amounts (IE they don't have like $300k in cash just sitting around.)

Most people deposit checks like that which he probably didn't do... unless he's really stupid or has a fake account setup on his fake IDs. Either way police should be contacted RIGHT away about it being cashed just on the off chance the funds were transferred to an account rather then handed to him in cash.

Honestly I'm shocked that wasn't flagged as being bad. The few times I've tried to use a certified check I've always been giving the run around of them having to contact the issuing bank and checking it etc etc etc. I'm like "um, why use a certified check then if you guys treat it just like a personal check?!"

Sounds like your bank was being lazy and the bank he cashed it at was being lazy. They likely recorded down his address and info but that probably was just from his ID, which is fake...

As soon as you were able to flash a police report in front of your bank they should have been able to freeze those funds. Probably not release them back to you right away, but certainly make sure they didn't move out of that account....
That's what the bank told me on the 15th....which I was in front of the teller while she was on the line with Fraud department. Bottom line, is I am going to the bank AS soon as I return home...and talking with a manager. I have contacted my local police, and left message, hopefully he can help as well. Anyone want to start a Go fund me? :) I miss owning a tesla, and sold everything to buy this one. But I know it's on me, here's hoping!

That's what the bank told me on the 15th....which I was in front of the teller while she was on the line with Fraud department. Bottom line, is I am going to the bank AS soon as I return home...and talking with a manager. I have contacted my local police, and left message, hopefully he can help as well. Anyone want to start a Go fund me? :) I miss owning a tesla, and sold everything to buy this one. But I know it's on me, here's hoping!
I hope you have proof that you reported to the bank. i imagine they are responsible for losing that money.

Reactions: jwb2781