Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well that Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Balljoint Stud pulled out of the upper control arm. This looks like a stock suspension setup with stock parts
1707087502534.png

Looks like the Balljoint Stud pulled out of the upper control arm. This looks like a stock suspension setup with stock parts
View attachment 1015312
I saw a claim that this was just disassembly to do the repair. Why they would need to remove upper balljoint to change a bolt associated with the tie rod I have no idea.
Of course maybe it's all a lie and the nut just fell off. I don't see any sort of retention mechanism on it. I guess I'm old school but I like castle nuts on my ball joints!
1707088389205.png

Video showing rear suspension. Maybe the threaded rod is the "bolt"? That's what I would assume would break first but no idea why you would remove the upper ball joint to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nack and Suns_PSD
American vehicle manufacturers have been using nylon locknuts on steering and suspension parts for a while now. They are 'single-use' nuts; service manuals explicitly state they must be replaced every time they are removed. Because screw the technicians, apparently. Now you can't just grab a universal cotter pin; you have to order and obtain an assortment of specific nuts every time you work on the suspension.

I also don't know why the upper ball joint was separated. The rear tie rod is disconnected/missing/broken? but it shouldn't be necessary to separate the upper ball joint to facilitate tie rod repair.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD
It's possible that the connection from where the Tie Rod connects to the steering rack broke and not the actual Tie Rod. In the video the person says that the Tie Rod is connected to a Bracket that is attached to the Steering Rack.
That all looks stronger than the tie rod itself. I'm going with one of these two:
  • They removed the nut holding the upper ball joint, didn't replace it with a new one, and didn't torque it to spec. They're being cagey because that's not a good look for a suspension shop.
  • There is some sort of Tesla design flaw or assembly problem and they don't want to be the ones who publicize it. Maybe so they don't upset the fanboys or because they want to be the first to market a solution.

It's possible that to keep weight down Tesla used lighter duty parts for the Rear Steer than the Front Steering parts. These parts couldn't handle the side loads it was subjected to. I wonder about the Rear Wheel Steering when you are in a Hole or Mud and you turn the Steering Wheel and the Steering can't turn the rear wheels. Will the Front Wheels still turn or will something break in the Steering?

I find it hard to believe, too. You'd think the outer tie rod ball joint stud would shear off LONG before the inner bolt would shear.
And the tie rod would bend/break before either.
New hypothesis, maybe they mean the bolt went missing so it must have broken off. Haha.
Or it backed out halfway and then broke (I still don’t think that bolt would break in this case)

From the twitter post:
"That one bolt broke is not concerning to us at all, and we wouldn’t hesitate to push even harder next time."

Yeah, OK bro. I happen to like vehicles that steer in the direction "I" point them. Kind of a self-preservation kink I got going on.