Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We're going to need a lot more SuperChargers soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Now that GM has joined Ford in adopting the Tesla charging connector, we are going to need Tesla to scale up the SC network once GM and Ford start selling significant numbers of EVs, especially when you consider all of the new Teslas also joining the EV fleet. I wonder if Tesla has planned for this. Will they be just increasing the number of chargers at each site? Adding a lot more sites? I hope that they are pro-active in this as sometimes it takes years to actually get a site built.

Tesla has already said they are doubling the Supercharger network by the end of next year. Ford and GM coming in may increase that as well.

But Tesla doesn't have to do it alone. CPOs are going to add NACS connectors as well. I've seen NACS support announcements from AmpUp, EVpassport, FreeWire, FLO, EVgo, and ABB already.

Why does it have to be Tesla? Why can't Ford and GM build them? Or your local electricity supplier? The electricity company could bill your EV charging to your home service regardless of where you are charging.
It doesn't but Tesla has been building them for about a decade and I don't know that Ford or GM have built any yet. Plus the third party chargers are pretty unreliable as they are out of service WAY more often than Tesla SCs.

And some of us get free Supercharging. I doubt we would get that from Ford and GM sites!

Reactions: Dinevski
Tesla is true to their Mission Statement. Most of the other high speed charging schemes are horrible. Saw this myself when attempting to charge up G/Fs BMW i3. Lots of broken private chargers, failures to communicate, cutting off before full, displays hard to read, only a coulple chargers per location, full chargers etc.
Only Tesla Superchargers are capable of meeting the expectations of the driving public. Simple plug and play with great app reporting. Customers can see from their displays where the best choices of location and availability in real time, on their displays. If areas are congested you can decide to stop earlier or slow down and stretch a bit to get a little further to a open stall. Predictive software is coming that will assist the driver in making an informed choice of where to stop along their selected route.
This will allow other manufacturers to free up money and talent to simply piggy back on Tesla's proven system.

One system for all will be far better than each manufacturer rolling out chargers for just their brand. Electrons are electrons. No need to brand specifically like current gas stations.

Reactions: richyrich
Just announced that the White House will support funding Tesla with $Billions to roll out additional Superchargers. Will need to provide adaptors for other systems as well. Maybe Magic Dock will be enough to qualify.

It doesn't but Tesla has been building them for about a decade and I don't know that Ford or GM have built any yet. Plus the third party chargers are pretty unreliable as they are out of service WAY more often than Tesla SCs.

And some of us get free Supercharging. I doubt we would get that from Ford and GM sites!

Do you want your entire vehicle charging infrastructure to rely on a single company?

Not at all concerned:
  • For the next 5 or more years the number of Teslas at Superchargers will be at least 10x any other manufacturer. Ford’s BEV sales this year are slipping and GM’s are laughable.
  • Other charger networks are going to have to jump on board or become irrelevant. ABB has already announced they’ve adopted NACS.
  • While I can dream that Superchargers will soon be as ubiquitous as gas stations, credit where due, Tesla is ramping up Superchargers nearly as fast as they’re ramping up car production. They’re a data driven company and I get the strong sense they’re on it.
  • There are 4x as many SC locations today in North America as there were when I picked up my car 5 years ago and now most of the new stations are not only twice as large or more, but also each charger is faster and also not paired so less throttling of charging speeds. They’re not sitting idle, they’re improving the charging experience in all respects.
  • Other companies building vehicles with NACS charging increases both Tesla’s revenues in the charging department and the demand for their charging. This enables them to fulfill their mission more rapidly by giving them the means and demand to expand their charging network.
  • Ford, GM, and whoever else signs on are also incentivized to see the SC network flourish and will be working towards it succeeding rather than competing against it.

Now that GM has joined Ford in adopting the Tesla charging connector, we are going to need Tesla to scale up the SC network once GM and Ford start selling significant numbers of EVs, especially when you consider all of the new Teslas also joining the EV fleet. I wonder if Tesla has planned for this. Will they be just increasing the number of chargers at each site? Adding a lot more sites? I hope that they are pro-active in this as sometimes it takes years to actually get a site built.
Wah??? That's just wackadoodle! What is the world coming to? Soon it will be dogs and cats, living in the streets! (Ghostbusters 1 reference)

Tesla is true to their Mission Statement. Most of the other high speed charging schemes are horrible. Saw this myself when attempting to charge up G/Fs BMW i3. Lots of broken private chargers, failures to communicate, cutting off before full, displays hard to read, only a coulple chargers per location, full chargers etc.
Only Tesla Superchargers are capable of meeting the expectations of the driving public. Simple plug and play with great app reporting. Customers can see from their displays where the best choices of location and availability in real time, on their displays. If areas are congested you can decide to stop earlier or slow down and stretch a bit to get a little further to a open stall. Predictive software is coming that will assist the driver in making an informed choice of where to stop along their selected route.
This will allow other manufacturers to free up money and talent to simply piggy back on Tesla's proven system.

One system for all will be far better than each manufacturer rolling out chargers for just their brand. Electrons are electrons. No need to brand specifically like current gas stations.
I am surprised when I pull up to a Supercharger and it has issues.

I am surprised when I go up to any other location and it DOES WORK!

Excited for the future but I do see some unintended consequences, beyond queues. I think we will see a more superchargers out of service or just plain broken in the short term. Tesla superchargers work so well because all of the design elements were intentional to the vehicle. I'm sure there is even some consideration as to how far to place the "charger" from the rear bumper as to not to hit the station. Will other car owners consider this in their designs? You'll see folks doing all sort of crazy things to get cables to reach, parking in the adjacent lanes, jumping barriers, stressing the hell out of the stations.

Reliability is my main concern. The other networks are horrendous and I'm just hoping the network can sustain this surge.

Reactions: RSpanner
Good insights here. I hope the expansion plan is well executed

Yesterday I was at a Tesla Dealer in the greater boston area ----- a new EV mustang pulls in and trys to connect to a super charger that is used to charge Teslas for "delivery". The Tesla employees garthered around the window facing the chargers. Nobody said a word. As you may expect the driver was not able to connect his mustang to the Tesla SC, and left.
I felt bad for the mustang driver. He must have read the press release and just wanted to give it a try.

I listened to a report on NPR today about Tesla opening up the SC system to GM and Ford. The commentator said that GM will be equipping their EV's with a Tesla Connector..and I took that as a non CCS one. Dazed and confused about that...

Excited for the future but I do see some unintended consequences, beyond queues. I think we will see a more superchargers out of service or just plain broken in the short term. Tesla superchargers work so well because all of the design elements were intentional to the vehicle. I'm sure there is even some consideration as to how far to place the "charger" from the rear bumper as to not to hit the station. Will other car owners consider this in their designs? You'll see folks doing all sort of crazy things to get cables to reach, parking in the adjacent lanes, jumping barriers, stressing the hell out of the stations.

Reliability is my main concern. The other networks are horrendous and I'm just hoping the network can sustain this surge.
This is a good point. Where are the charge ports on existing Ford and GM vehicles? Is the Tesla SC cable long enough to reach those spots. Looking at some other EVs that have their charge ports between the wheel and the drivers door I wonder if the cable is long enough? Especially if there is a bit of a snow bank in front of the charger.

edit: It looks like Tesla has made cables longer in V4 SCs:
1686584412285.png

Last edited:
Tesla has already said they are doubling the Supercharger network by the end of next year. Ford and GM coming in may increase that as well.

But Tesla doesn't have to do it alone. CPOs are going to add NACS connectors as well. I've seen NACS support announcements from AmpUp, EVpassport, FreeWire, FLO, EVgo, and ABB already.
Tesla announcing the doubling of their network and doing it are two very different things. Cybertruck deliveries begain in late 2021, didn't they?

The logistical process of doing that takes a fair bit of time with lots of third parties involved. Even just doubling existing sites may not always be possible, and may also take some upgrades by local power utilities, which can be slow moving institutions.

Soon? Ford and GM aren't adopting NACS until their 2025 models? Tesla can control the non-Tesla traffic at their Superchargers by controlling how many are equipped with Magic Docks...

Reactions: richyrich