Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are all temporary, "mobile" Superchargers, put in without permits, etc. They require a 225Amp, 480 Volt, 3-phase feed from some local infrastructure, but that is it. These were all put in as a stop gap because of the difficulty in getting French approvals. The plan when they get through the French version of planning approval, is to install larger, permanent sites.
I think the French ones are all running at reduced power too. Likely because they are being fed standard European 400V 3ph from an existing building feed instead of the more ideal 480V from a dedicated utility transformer.

Those are all temporary, "mobile" Superchargers, put in without permits, etc. They require a 225Amp, 480 Volt, 3-phase feed from some local infrastructure, but that is it. These were all put in as a stop gap because of the difficulty in getting French approvals. The plan when they get through the French version of planning approval, is to install larger, permanent sites.

Maybe mobile chargers should have been deployed in Canada to bridge the gap.

I agree, but in time...I think that this is a more realistic request once we have some Gen 3's on the road.

Yes, but wouldn't it be better, for us and for Tesla, if they had a charging network in place before the flood of Model 3's hits the street?

If Tesla drags its feet on deploying a charging network it would kind of be like leaving a big school assignment until the night before, even though you've had months to complete it. Speaking from experience, it rarely works out well...

It is a bit of a chicken and egg thing, isn't it ...I agree, sooner is better...

Yes, but wouldn't it be better, for us and for Tesla, if they had a charging network in place before the flood of Model 3's hits the street?

If Tesla drags its feet on deploying a charging network it would kind of be like leaving a big school assignment until the night before, even though you've had months to complete it. Speaking from experience, it rarely works out well...

Odd that the remaining BC to Alberta SC's don't seem to be on Tesla's Coming Soon map ?
Coming_Soon.jpg

I have been corresponding with my contact in a key role at Tesla. There is good news on all fronts for us long-suffering Canadians. I have asked for his permission to quote his specific guidance. When I hear back, I will post more!

- - - Updated - - -

Odd that the remaining BC to Alberta SC's don't seem to be on Tesla's Coming Soon map ?

The Coming Soon map is chronically unreliable. Many sites open without ever appearing there. Tesla is working on a big refresh of the North American map-- real soon now...

In Canada, couldn't you run a 60 kW single-cabinet site from 208V triphase? This would eliminate the need for the 600/480 transformer. If installed in a indoor lot, like you might find next to a mall, installation could be very cheap (relatively speaking). Yes, 60 kW is not ideal, but could be good as a 3-4 year stop gap for bridging some Canadian locations.

In Canada, couldn't you run a 60 kW single-cabinet site from 208V triphase? This would eliminate the need for the 600/480 transformer. If installed in a indoor lot, like you might find next to a mall, installation could be very cheap (relatively speaking). Yes, 60 kW is not ideal, but could be good as a 3-4 year stop gap for bridging some Canadian locations.

A Supercharger Cabinet can run at 90kW on 208V, 3-Phase, but needs 350A service per cabinet. That is a big load on an existing installation.

Looks like I'm the first to report from hope!
Bad news.... The bays are all screwed up... A few wouldn't charge and a couple only charged at 120km/hour

I'm in the bay closest to the transformer now getting 209km/hour.

Congratulations!

How many rated km do you have in the battery? It would take a pretty high state of charge to limit you to that kind of charge rate. Can you state it in kW or better yet, it Volts and Amps?