Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice to see Tesla connect the #1 from Calgary through Winnipeg at least. Even Calgary to Regina would mean a lot to me ;-)

I agree, I have family in Regina, at the moment going to Regina with my. Model s would be quite long and perhaps close to impossible, unless you are willing to travel for two days. At this point this would be unacceptable.

That's a lot of superchargers... but where the hell are the Canadian ones ? I am in Calgary and received my Model S in the first canadian batch and still no supercharger in Canmore/Banff corridor and no service centre. It is nice that they have deployed such a lovely array in the USA, but there's like maybe a dozen in Canada ?!?!?! That's pathetic !

Well, once Canmore is online, the situation for Alberta and BC is 100% better than it was this time last year. The fact that a year ago there were zero Superchargers in Canada was pathetic regardless of the population size (I think I saw somewhere that we might have been 2cnd or 3rd per capita (US being #1 and possibly Norway being #2) in Tesla sales but one of the worst in Supercharger "density". Not sure where we sit now.

That's a lot of superchargers... but where the hell are the Canadian ones ? I am in Calgary and received my Model S in the first canadian batch and still no supercharger in Canmore/Banff corridor and no service centre. It is nice that they have deployed such a lovely array in the USA, but there's like maybe a dozen in Canada ?!?!?! That's pathetic !
There is a Supercharger site under construction at Canmore, under discussion upthread HERE.

I agree, I have family in Regina, at the moment going to Regina with my. Model s would be quite long and perhaps close to impossible, unless you are willing to travel for two days. At this point this would be unacceptable.
I have a client in Regina, so I would like to be able to make it via Superchargers from Vancouver. I'd rather drive than take a flight to Calgary and then a Dash 8 from Calgary. I don't visit that client very much, but usually stay for a few weeks when I do work there sometime there.

Sorry I can never remember exactly where you live but my impression was that you might be nearly as close to Winnipeg as Saskatoon? Presumably if they put an SC West of Saskatoon it wouldn't be much use either?

Oh, I'm too far north to ever see a Supercharger within starting range. I'm fine charging at home so we don't really need one up here. I'm about 530km from Saskatoon and 730km from Winnipeg but I travel down there often for shopping, medical, etc. If they could put one a little bit north of Saskatoon, that would be ideal for me. I wouldn't have to spend most of my trips recharging on Level 2 then. But I realize that if we ever do get one, it will likely be further south near the TransCanada. Not nearly so useful for me in that case. Though, I'd be happy to see one anywhere in the province.

What would you like to see first? North/South corridor (up from the US) to Regina / Saskatoon, west to Calgary or east to Winnipeg?

Ideally, I'd prefer to be able to stay in Canada the whole time. However, in the short-term I'd be delighted with a US network connection. The latter is probably the most cost-effective for Tesla too.

This is something that seems to escape Tesla's notice. Saskatchewan may have low ownership density but people from areas of high ownership density often come here for work, to visit family/friends, or simply pass through on their way to the other half of the country. The Superchargers are supposed to facilitate long-distance EV travel but by leaving Saskatchewan off of the Supercharger roadmap, Tesla is denying its customers many travel opportunities. Not just residents of SK.

Tesla has no real motivation for a big push in Canada. Their rapid expansion into Europe and Asia are PR stunts that people will notice. Expanding into Canada isn't really any different than the northern US. It's a little sad, and I had hoped Tesla would break the mold in this regard, but it would appear not to be the case.

Last edited:
I have a client in Regina, so I would like to be able to make it via Superchargers from Vancouver. I'd rather drive than take a flight to Calgary and then a Dash 8 from Calgary. I don't visit that client very much, but usually stay for a few weeks when I do work there sometime there.

So far 2 or 3 people here want Superchargers in Manitoba/Saskatchewan and we need to wonder why they are only getting one?

I also find it strange how people complain about the lack of an American company building Superchargers in Canada. Canada gives huge incentives to big oil but none federally to electric vehicles. US have a federal rebate - Canada none. In Washington State right below me there's no sale's tax on a Tesla plus the federal rebate. In BC, 15% tax and no rebates at all.

Also, take a look at Norway's government incentives -- if I was Tesla, that's where I'd be putting Superchargers. In BC we get no icentives at all when it comes to electric vehicles. In fact, we pay a "luxury tax" on even a base Tesla. We should be happy for the Superchargers they are building here rather than complaining. But, hey, if you want to extract oil from dirty tar sand, and build a pipeline, our federal goverment will push you right along.

Last edited:
So far 2 or 3 people here want Superchargers in Manitoba/Saskatchewan and we need to wonder why they are only getting one?

I also find it strange how people complain about the lack of an American company building Superchargers in Canada. Canada gives huge incentives to big oil but none federally to electric vehicles. US have a federal rebate - Canada none. In Washington State right below me there's no sale's tax on a Tesla plus the federal rebate. In BC, 15% tax and no rebates at all.

Also, take a look at Norway's government incentives -- if I was Tesla, that's where I'd be putting Superchargers. In BC we get no icentives at all when it comes to electric vehicles. In fact, we pay a "luxury tax" on even a base Tesla. We should be happy for the Superchargers they are building here rather than complaining. But, hey, if you want to extract oil from dirty tar sand, and build a pipeline, our federal goverment will push you right along.
The incentive program will be back shortly. Perhaps as early as April 1. Details are scarce, but I created a thread for it here: BC 2015 Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive and a fuelling/charging infrastructure Program

See my attempts at counting the 2015 map on the Tesla Motors Supercharger Page at Superchargers - Google Sheets.

I count 25 Canada Supercharger Sites by the end of 2015 with 9 in BC and 3 in Alberta. At the same time, I counted 292 in the U.S.

Well, for our population ratio of about 10% - that means - we are about 4 short: 292 X 10% = 29(.2), 29 - 25 (your numbers) = 4 short.

Look forward into 2016 - and you see the ratio improving - with the USA-Calgary Link (+ Edmonton), and the Winnipeg Link, and the extras in Ontario North of Barrie. Canada will still be tough, and hence the advantage of the Dual Chargers is bigger in Canada with Sun Country Highway CS90 and CS100 Chargers getting out there!

Last edited:
Well, we have a much smaller population than you and, as result, a much smaller forum presence. So 2 or 3 SK people discussing an issue is roughly the same as 10 or 12 BC people doing the same. Sounds about right for the topic of Superchargers.

Tesla isn't just an American company anymore, they are a global company and have a brand responsibility in any nation they want to sell their cars. There are several European countries with next to no EV incentives but they just happen to get swept up as part of Tesla's bigger push into Europe. Tesla's hardly going to cover all of Europe except France, are they? However, that's exactly what they're doing by leaving a massive chunk of Canada with no coverage.

Tesla isn't just an American company anymore, they are a global company and have a brand responsibility in any nation they want to sell their cars.
Your italics were in the wrong place, I fixed them. :) Companies are driven by profit first, which is what it turn drives their "brand responsibility", like any public company. Supercharger density will always be poor in Canada for the same reason we have crappy cellular plans/coverage here: population density. Norway, which has a seemingly high number of Superchargers, has 5 million people in a surface area half that of Saskatchewan; Saskatchewan has just over 1 million people or 1/10 the density. It just doesn't make sense to put one in SK yet, and I say that having family in Saskatoon & Hafford, having made that trip in my S, because there just isn't a critical mass to warrant it.

You mention BC - BC's very first Supercharger was put in on the way to Whistler as opposed to on a major transport corridor. It was put in there because many Americans wanted to drive up and go skiing. The SCs on Highway 1 came much later again because the critical mass of cars made it make sense. You want an SC in SK? Tell all your friends in Rider Nation to buy a Model S, unfortunately that's the only way currently to make it happen.

In general I agree with this sentiment and I may even have echoed it elsewhere; however, I've been thinking about the Canadian situation and I think Tesla should actually do the reverse of what you are suggesting, I.e. Put superchargers where the political climate is unfriendly to EVs. Tesla's MO is not to accept hardship and uneven playing fields, but to plow ahead anyway. Not putting in superchargers doesn't affect the government, it affects the uptake of Teslas in Canada. If anything Western Canada needs more encouragement to overcome the barriers left in place by an oil based economy. As someone who is selling Tesla daily, the Superchargers will make a huge difference to uptake (as will AWD). Remember, Tesla's mission as defined by Elon is to bring about mass adoption of electric vehicles, not to reward the worthy.

In general I agree with this sentiment and I may even have echoed it elsewhere; however, I've been thinking about the Canadian situation and I think Tesla should actually do the reverse of what you are suggesting, I.e. Put superchargers where the political climate is unfriendly to EVs. Tesla's MO is not to accept hardship and uneven playing fields, but to plow ahead anyway. Not putting in superchargers doesn't affect the government, it affects the uptake of Teslas in Canada. If anything Western Canada needs more encouragement to overcome the barriers left in place by an oil based economy. As someone who is selling Tesla daily, the Superchargers will make a huge difference to uptake (as will AWD). Remember, Tesla's mission as defined by Elon is to bring about mass adoption of electric vehicles, not to reward the worthy.

very well said!

Good points and rebuttal to my arguments. But to Tesla's credit they are putting a fair amount in BC and Alberta, considering both our population and land size, as Spurkey pointed out.

Good points and rebuttal to my arguments. But to Tesla's credit they are putting a fair amount in BC and Alberta, considering both our population and land size, as Spurkey pointed out.
Actually I agree with this, i.e. The situation now is dramatically improved, it has just been a bit frustrating waiting to get to this point, particularly for the signature owners who have been watching nearly every other country in the world get superchargers ahead of us.
Until recently I had no concerns about not having a service center; however, having my car shipped away and kept in Vancouver for an extended period of time is really annoying. I have the impression that if there was a SC in Calgary they might have released it sooner. When each trip to the SC takes a day of travel and a transport cost each way you don't want to risk sending it back and then having to bring it in again a day after it gets back.

Completely agree with this. Just the opening of the Red Deer supercharger as well as the mere mention of a possible Calgary Service Centre was enough to get myself and now a few of my friends looking closer at Tesla. The AWD really helped to tip the decision as well. Now.... if only they'd get the Canmore Supercharger operational before the spring/summer driving season that would be excellent..... Anyone know some insider info about this thing?

Companies are driven by profit first, which is what it turn drives their "brand responsibility", like any public company.

Really? Then why have they stated repeatedly "We will not make profit on service". That sure sounds like a profit-driven company to me. :wink:

Tesla has a responsibility to make their shareholders money, yes, just like any other publicly-traded company. However, they've also demonstrated on numerous occasions that they have their own goals and agendas, which are not necessarily connected to short-term profit. They are willing to innovate, even if it is risky to do so.