Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did you leave from Edmonton or Red Deer and make it to Canmore? My car arrives in the spring and I was hoping to make it from EDM to Canmore?

Yes, came from Edmonton. Topped up in Red Deer over lunch... went for a full charge, but didn't think it would be needed. Likely due to strong head winds, it most certainly was needed (to allow for some piece of mind)! Arrived in Canmore with about 30km left (drove between 0 and 10 above the speed limit, so a tad 'slow').

Left Canmore again with a full charge. Went a bit faster than usual on the way back, and arrived in Red Deer with plenty of charge left (elevation change likely, and less wind).

Topped up briefly in Red Deer... the wife wanted to get home "it shows we have plenty of charge, lets go!". Granted we ran an errand in town, but arrived home with 12KM. Near the end, she was very nervous about running out of charge, this being her first 'trip' in the car. Next time, she may be a little more patient letting the car charge up lol.

So did you leave from Edmonton or Red Deer and make it to Canmore? My car arrives in the spring and I was hoping to make it from EDM to Canmore?

Goggle maps shows a distance of 385 km between Edmonton and Canmore
In summer ( 20 C, 72 F) I plan on 350 km with a full charge rate range of 410km.

Cooler weather, snow, wind, speed will all affect range, so give myself a buffer of at least 50 km. That's why charging Red Deer is a very good plan and after 2 hours of driving it's also a great time to have a 20-30 minute coffee and snack break.

Here's a very useful link on Factors affecting range
or this
The-Rules-of-Model-S-Road-Tripping

Last edited:
Wow thank you both Zapped and Footbag lots of good information. I go back and forth to Golden a fair bit from Edmonton looks like it will be a two stop trip each time unless Elon surprises us on Thursday morning! Fingers crossed and thanks again for your insight.

I'm pretty sure it will be at the Service Center. That's the plan in Vancouver. With the number of cars being delivered, the HPWCs aren't cutting it.
My bet is they open a mall store with some dedicated test drive stalls and a few superchargers. Actually on second thought maybe those are just HPWC and they will do the SC at the Service Centre. Hopefully they don't locate the SC near Kulu as that isn't a very convenient location for Traveller's.

I agree, near Kulu wouldn't be very convenient, at least for me. Lol. I have an idea, how about at the intersection of home road and highway 1. They are currently building a new Tim Horton. It is the first stop coming in the city from the west site . From this location, you can easily travel back north to Edmonton from Stoney trail.

I have an idea, how about at the intersection of home road and highway 1. They are currently building a new Tim Horton. It is the first stop coming in the city from the west site . From this location, you can easily travel back north to Edmonton from Stoney trail.

Your logic is sound. Plus I suspect most current Tesla owners are on the west side of Calgary or in Springbank. And Bowness should have reasonable land prices.

Other options great for west Calgary and easy access for the rest of the province would be over closer to Stony, west of COP.

Your logic is sound. Plus I suspect most current Tesla owners are on the west side of Calgary or in Springbank. And Bowness should have reasonable land prices.

Other options great for west Calgary and easy access for the rest of the province would be over closer to Stony, west of COP.

i agree, Bowness or Montgomery is known for supporting alternative lifestyles, organic and green energy. It is true land would be more affordable. i wonder is tesla has already secured a location for their service center and supercharger.

I agree, near Kulu wouldn't be very convenient, at least for me. Lol. I have an idea, how about at the intersection of home road and highway 1. They are currently building a new Tim Horton. It is the first stop coming in the city from the west site . From this location, you can easily travel back north to Edmonton from Stoney trail.

I agree. Montgomery would be best.

I emailed tesla about this location for the supercharger. Great location, at a Tim hortons location, a few other restaurant in the area.
i send a request for this site on the suggestion supercharger reply at tesla. We ll see if this gets somewhere. I sure would love this location to be used.

Well, we enjoyed a beautiful drive to Canmore yesterday and had a great breakfast at the Summit Cafe before heading to the Supercharger for some juice (174A speed or 350 km/hr charging) then home for 12:30. We are fortunate to be so close to this natural beauty! The sun was out too which really made it sweet. I let my brother-in-law drive both ways which was fun for me to be a passenger and we took 1A which is the twisty back-road so we had fun (especially since we had a fast Cayenne Turbo to play with in front of us). We may or may not have exceeded the speed limits by a significant amount :).

Goggle maps shows a distance of 385 km between Edmonton and Canmore
In summer ( 20 C, 72 F) I plan on 350 km with a full charge rate range of 410km.

Cooler weather, snow, wind, speed will all affect range, so give myself a buffer of at least 50 km. That's why charging Red Deer is a very good plan and after 2 hours of driving it's also a great time to have a 20-30 minute coffee and snack break.

Here's a very useful link on Factors affecting range
or this
The-Rules-of-Model-S-Road-Tripping

I was just catching up on the for, and read yours... I guess in a few weeks from now with 6.2, things will be a lot easier to plan a trip.. I can imagine that there was some uncertainty and allowing for a larger buffer. Hello us of all you MS drivers. Can't wa for the X.