Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving from Vancouver to Edmonton April 2nd, hopefully in one day. I'll post some stats for anyone interested in seeing the improvement from the same journey last April with SunCountry chargers. I expect to make the trip in approximately half the time. Vancouver to Alberta Trip Planning - Page 4

Not exactly a Supercharger, but I had this installed at my sister's house in Edmonton. Cost about $300.
IMG_1538.JPG

@pairtrader, are you planning on stopping in Calgary or going straight through? Would be fun to plan a quick meet as you go through if possible.

And... that electrical job isn't the greatest! Nice to have somewhere to charge though.

I have no knowledge about electrical work. Does it look unsafe or just ugly and not to code?

I'm driving straight through this time. Partly because of my schedule, but also to compare to my time last year. I'll be driving that route again mid-July at a leisurely pace, likely spending a night en route, so a midday meetup in Calgary would be great. I can post to see who's interested closer to that trip.

Since I deviated from the thread topic, let me get things back on track. Has anyone heard anything about Kelowna? I'm sure many of us would like it to be ready by June.

I have no knowledge about electrical work. Does it look unsafe or just ugly and not to code?

That type of cable is not approved for an exposed run, it should only be inside a wall space. Any cable or wire that is exposed MUST (by code) be mechanically protected. That means it needs to be in conduit or the cable must have interlocking armour.

If anyone is careless with a sharp tool near that exposed bit they could cut through the insulation and get a shock.

I'm driving straight through this time. Partly because of my schedule, but also to compare to my time last year. I'll be driving that route again mid-July at a leisurely pace, likely spending a night en route, so a midday meetup in Calgary would be great. I can post to see who's interested closer to that trip.

Since I deviated from the thread topic, let me get things back on track. Has anyone heard anything about Kelowna? I'm sure many of us would like it to be ready by June.
Kelowna would be a welcome addition however I don't see it as in the Tesla roadmap for this year - do you?

We could meet at my place if you are driving through... you can charge with my HPWC and I have a parking lot behind my garage so we can all park there. Food for thought!

Hello everyone,

i finally received my car! Am I happy! There is no words to describe how happy and privileged to own such a Great car. TEsla vancouver is awesome, they prepared and delivered my tesla absolutely perfect. I would like to give a big shout out for the great work for delivering my tesla and look forward to many years of happy driving.

Thank you tesla vancouver! I would like to said a special thank to Katrina and Mark L. And (tj) For everything. It is alwAys a pleasure talking with them.

Perhaps the only drawback when Calgary gets its own service center, we won't be have the pleasure of dealing with the service team in Vancouver.

i love my tesla and this won't be my last.

My nex quest, how do I bottle the new car smell. My tesla smells so good? When I went to the factory I forgot to asked where they injected the new car smell.

Jb

Kelowna would be a welcome addition however I don't see it as in the Tesla roadmap for this year - do you?

When you select "2015" I believe the new additions are Vancouver, Merritt, Kelowna and Calgary.
Supercharger | Tesla Motors Canada

That is as much as I know about the timeline. I live a few blocks from the Vancouver store, so I'll stop in and ask Robin for an update this week.

- - - Updated - - -

We could meet at my place if you are driving through... you can charge with my HPWC and I have a parking lot behind my garage so we can all park there. Food for thought!

My April drive will take me from the Canmore Supercharger to the Red Deer Supercharger as quickly as possible so that I can make it to Edmonton before midnight (hopefully!) As for July, overnight in Revelstoke or Canmore would be ideal, so a meetup would work out perfectly. I may be jealous of all the Alberta P85Ds though. I'll have one for a day in April while my annual servicing is being done, but I don't think I'll cave and upgrade! Stranger things have happened.

That is as much as I know about the timeline. I live a few blocks from the Vancouver store, so I'll stop in and ask Robin for an update this week.
Can you also see if Robin is closer to setting a date for a "western Canada rally" to celebrate the superchargers' opening? If she's not ready to publicly share a date, but gives you one, please PM me (just trying to figure out which days to keep free). I'm sure they are quite busy and the celebration may not be a major priority. Thanks!

Can you also see if Robin is closer to setting a date for a "western Canada rally" to celebrate the superchargers' opening? If she's not ready to publicly share a date, but gives you one, please PM me (just trying to figure out which days to keep free). I'm sure they are quite busy and the celebration may not be a major priority. Thanks!
FYI : Upcoming Tesla meetup with coffee/donuts- Sunday April 12th, 2015 9 am at Fourty Ninth Parallel: 2198 West 4th Avenue Vancouver

And encourage her to do it somewhere around May 14th. (I'm driving the car to Vancouver for a U2 concert) :)

I'm driving from Vancouver to Edmonton April 2nd, hopefully in one day.
I just got home on Sunday having made the same trip, we actually started in Victoria. Hopefully you have the 6.2 firmware update, I noticed a substantial increase in SC charging efficiency (ie: SC charge times went down) with it. Making the trip in one day will definitely be a challenge especially with the 1 hour time change, you lose an hour going from BC to Alberta. The advantage though is that if you drive carefully you can skip the Red Deer SC stop because of the elevation change from Canmore/Calgary to Edmonton, it's all downhill from there (that's not an Edmonton-Calgary joke ;)).

I just got home on Sunday having made the same trip, we actually started in Victoria. Hopefully you have the 6.2 firmware update, I noticed a substantial increase in SC charging efficiency (ie: SC charge times went down) with it. Making the trip in one day will definitely be a challenge especially with the 1 hour time change, you lose an hour going from BC to Alberta. The advantage though is that if you drive carefully you can skip the Red Deer SC stop because of the elevation change from Canmore/Calgary to Edmonton, it's all downhill from there (that's not an Edmonton-Calgary joke ;)).

Thanks Spurkey, for some reason I still have version 6.0. My car was parked for a month, but I've been home for a month now and have not been prompted for an update. I didn't realize that the update increased the charge rate so I'll have to make a call to see if I can get it before Thursday. As for making the trip in one day, I did it last April in 30 hours on SunCountry chargers, so this will be a breeze :) I had a foam bed made for the back, so I can catch a quick nap here and there while I charge, if needed.

As for making the trip in one day, I did it last April in 30 hours on SunCountry chargers, so this will be a breeze :) I had a foam bed made for the back, so I can catch a quick nap here and there while I charge, if needed.
*heh* It took us 35 hours when we first did the trip in 2013 but that included a night in a hotel in Golden. It's doable now in about 15-16 hours provided your spouse is ok with that kind of car time in a single day, which mine was not. :)

I just got home on Sunday having made the same trip, we actually started in Victoria.
I think I saw you downtown on Government St, turning onto... Herald I think. I was a good block behind but was able to spot the AB plates. Circled back after dropping my wife at her volunteer duties and the empty car was parked, so at least I was able to wave at it if not the occupants. :)

So I got an email blast from BC Hydro today. This isn't Supercharger related, but interesting nontheless ...

Drivers of electric vehicles welcome changes to charging infrastructure in B.C.

Of interest:

Charging at a Level 2 station, which uses 240 volts, will remain free. The suggested cost to charge at the DC Fast Charge stations has been set by BC Hydro at $0.35 per kilowatt hour, which is just enough to cover operating costs. The fast charge stations, though, are being managed by municipalities, most of which have opted not to charge a fee for use.

Tsang says that EV charging stations, as they exist right now, are more of a demonstration project that confirm the technical requirements. It's an opportunity to explore and understand the possibilities. "We benefit from understanding the impacts," he said. "EVs are coming no matter what. Being pro-active means we're getting ready."

Also, the map showing existing and planned rollout of Chademo stations in BC:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...011257,0.019205&mid=zVchww04UPOI.kRH1VYKLaeYM