Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend that is a developer and his current project in Langley, that began three years ago, has a 20 AMP outlet (can upgrade to 40 Amp), in one of the two parking stalls that comes with each unit. I believe the power usage is connected to the unit you own. It's good to see that it's being taken seriously as a selling feature. Now I just need to convince him to buy a Model X.
20A at what voltage? at 110v they aren't taking it seriously at all.

Condos to feature electric vehicle charging stations

A Vancouver developer is leading the charge to make it easier for condo dwellers to own and charge electric cars.

Most parking facilities in apartment buildings use a house power metre, meaning all owners and stratas are subsidizing any electric car users who plug into it.

Now, Bosa Properties is offering homeowners the ability to upgrade and customize their parking spot to have a personal electric vehicle charging station.

With 40 per cent of Vancouverites calling condominiums home, Bosa Properties Vice President Daryl Simpson says the move will revolutionize condo parking garages – and spur people into buying electric cars.

“Despite the civic push towards sustainability in the Lower Mainland, without the accompanying infrastructure to support green initiatives, it is impossible for individuals to scale the green barrier to entry,” Simpson said.

As opposed to traditional charging stations which act more as a communal station, the BosaVolt is installed into a personal parking spot.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/condos-to-feature-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-1.987813
This article was dated 2012. These are Level 2 chargers, from Bosa Property's web site.

20A at what voltage? at 110v they aren't taking it seriously at all.
It's not perfect, but I would say it is completely adequate. 14 hours of charging assuming your commute starts at 8am and ends at 6pm gives you what, like 84km of range each night? How is that not adequate for everyday life for a good subset of condo owners? If you travel on the weekends, you can use destination charging or SCs or hit up a local L2 to top up any excesses. And if you're in a condo, I'm suspecting your commute isn't much more than 40km each way. But maybe I'm totally wrong.

It's not perfect, but I would say it is completely adequate. 14 hours of charging assuming your commute starts at 8am and ends at 6pm gives you what, like 84km of range each night? How is that not adequate for everyday life for a good subset of condo owners? If you travel on the weekends, you can use destination charging or SCs or hit up a local L2 to top up any excesses. And if you're in a condo, I'm suspecting your commute isn't much more than 40km each way. But maybe I'm totally wrong.
As long as you assume that all people ever do is commute, sure it's fine, but if they go out in the evening, suddenly they can't take their EV? Any time someone asks if they really need to install a 240v outlet in their garage, even if they have charging available at work and live near a supercharger, there's a chorus of people on here insisting that they really want the 240v outlet at home. If it's desirable for someone with charging at work, and a supercharger nearby, then imagine how important it is for someone with neither!

Lack of charging infrastructure is the single largest complaint people give as to why they don't buy an EV, this does extremely little to address that complaint.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet if we look at it per capita, per area and per vehicles sold, we're doing pretty good, and perhaps have more than our fair share.
Sorry. I'm sick of this excuse.

Per teslarati Revealing the Most Popular Tesla Model S Configurations 6% of vehicles go to Canada, however we only have 17 superchargers out of 604 total, or 2.8%

meanwhile look at some other countries:
Germany: 56 Superchargers, but only 2% of deliveries, and only 3.8% of our land area
France: 29 Superchargers, but only 1% of deliveries, and only 6.4% of our land area
China: 97 Superchargers but fewer cars than any of the above.

Per teslarati Revealing the Most Popular Tesla Model S Configurations 6% of vehicles go to Canada, however we only have 17 superchargers out of 604 total, or 2.8%

meanwhile look at some other countries:
Germany: 56 Superchargers, but only 2% of deliveries, and only 3.8% of our land area
France: 29 Superchargers, but only 1% of deliveries, and only 6.4% of our land area
China: 97 Superchargers but fewer cars than any of the above.
Hmm, the delivery data is almost 2 years old. I wonder what it looks like today, because based on those numbers, I agree that Canada is getting a rotten deal on supercharger installations. Given the size of the country, there should at least be a contiguous network along the Trans Canada Hwy, with a splattering of superchargers on major N-S routes to bring us into line numbers-wise.

Thanks to your numbers, I've gone from grudging acceptance to full-on annoyed... :mad:

Hmm, the delivery data is almost 2 years old. I wonder what it looks like today, because based on those numbers, I agree that Canada is getting a rotten deal on supercharger installations. Given the size of the country, there should at least be a contiguous network along the Trans Canada Hwy, with a splattering of superchargers on major N-S routes to bring us into line numbers-wise.

Thanks to your numbers, I've gone from grudging acceptance to full-on annoyed... :mad:
I admit the vehicle sold data is old, but it was actually WORSE for us then as we had zero superchargers. The supercharger data is current.

I'd love to see newer numbers, but I have a feeling it hasn't improved much.

Hope they get this done prior to the release of the Model III...I think it would help the sales of the vehicle if Tesla can say that "you can drive this vehicle across mainland Canada"...

And this is the issue, it may satisfy the legality, but it's useless for actual use.

On a related side note, I noticed the EV charging spots at Market Mall in Calgary and was pleased they were doing something for the cause... then I looked at them, 110v outlets? really?

Amazing why Plug share would list 120V locations as a charging station. More like free advertising for businesses ( Walmart, Petsmart, Costco )
Good thing there's a setting to filter these out.

Those drivers are the current day equivalents of Christopher Columbus... or Alexander MacKenzie. I should come up with a female explorer name too, because 'Rebecca' has broken plenty of trail in the hinterlands of BC in her Leaf.

I guess if you go into the trip with a different mindset, it's not so bad.

Has anyone tried driving from the Hope supercharger to the Kelowna one?

We tried it the other weekend in our classic S85, and we basically below the speed limit the entire way (which varies from 100-120 km/h) on the Coquihalla and along 97C, and it drained my battery from 100% to 12%. The trip planner said I'd have 34% left, but we ended up cutting it pretty close -- is this typical? The temperature was only -1 to 5 degres the entire way, so I don't think cold weather could have made that much of a difference.

Going back from Kelowna to Hope, it drained around 80% of the battery, so the elevation only made a 10% difference going backwards. I don't accelerate particularly hard, and use the regen breaks as much as possible.

I suspect that the trip planner assumes the limit is still 110... when it is actually 120. That alone would make a significant change to the energy consumption. The second element is the temperature. With the temp hanging around zero, you would have used heat all the way. After that, if the road was wet or slushy, more power would have been consumed.

I haven't done the Kelowna leg, but Kamloops also typically consumes more than the planner predicts. Don't forget, there are Level 2 charge stations in Merritt, and also a DC fast charge unit if you have a CHAdeMO adapter.

I've had the same experience in near-zero temps—in BC mountains and on Alberta plains, but perhaps more dramatically with huge elevation changes—where I've lost 15-20% energy off of the predicted values. I find, though, that the near-real-time updates of the energy predictions are quite accurate, so slight adjustments in speed and watching the prediction updates builds confidence.

We had an interesting experience on that particular route last summer. We got away late and without a full charge from Hope, and my wife had a flight to catch in Kelowna. We had to balance predicted arrival time—for the flight—with predicted energy remaining. We did observe that decreasing speed up hills and increasing speed down helped reduce time with minimal impact to the energy prediction. Perhaps under a heavy load, the battery converts a higher percentage of energy to heat than under a lighter load, plus, if it generates more heat, it needs to work at cooling the battery. Whatever the reason, we went uphill at 100 and downhill at 130, and my dear wife caught her flight and the kids and I had a comfortable amount of power to get to the Best Western. I credit the predictions of nav & energy.

Has anyone tried driving from the Hope supercharger to the Kelowna one?

We tried it the other weekend in our classic S85, and we basically below the speed limit the entire way (which varies from 100-120 km/h) on the Coquihalla and along 97C, and it drained my battery from 100% to 12%. The trip planner said I'd have 34% left, but we ended up cutting it pretty close -- is this typical? The temperature was only -1 to 5 degres the entire way, so I don't think cold weather could have made that much of a difference.

Going back from Kelowna to Hope, it drained around 80% of the battery, so the elevation only made a 10% difference going backwards. I don't accelerate particularly hard, and use the regen breaks as much as possible.

I do that trip pretty regularly, last time at Christmas with temperatures between -5 and -10 and slightly over the speed limit most of the way. In that case I left Hope with about 415 km of range and arrived in Kelowna with about 50 km remaining. I'd agree you lost a bit more charge than I would have expected under those conditions. The reverse trip is as you said -- about 5-10% better. I'm probably driving more aggressively on the way back because I know the terrain is in my favour, so the range difference isn't as great as you'd expect.

I do that trip pretty regularly, last time at Christmas with temperatures between -5 and -10 and slightly over the speed limit most of the way. In that case I left Hope with about 415 km of range and arrived in Kelowna with about 50 km remaining. I'd agree you lost a bit more charge than I would have expected under those conditions. The reverse trip is as you said -- about 5-10% better. I'm probably driving more aggressively on the way back because I know the terrain is in my favour, so the range difference isn't as great as you'd expect.

I'm headed to Revelstoke in about 2 weeks and this leg of the trip is the most concerning for me in my 70D. Evtripplanner says I should make it fine, but I'm a little skeptical. Do you use autopilot/tacc to make the trip? What is your avg wh/km for Hope to Kamloops if you know it?

I'm headed to Revelstoke in about 2 weeks and this leg of the trip is the most concerning for me in my 70D. Evtripplanner says I should make it fine, but I'm a little skeptical. Do you use autopilot/tacc to make the trip? What is your avg wh/km for Hope to Kamloops if you know it?
My advice for you in a 70D is to make sure you're full leaving Kamloops, do the speed limit, and watch the predictions. You'll make it.