Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone's told them to put it in Fort Macleod, the store people in Calgary all agree, but I never expected Tesla to listen. Unfortunately that adds basically an hour to any trip south if they do put it in Lethbridge, and it also makes it a pain for access to the crowsnest pass.

Really the only people who benefit by having it in Lethbridge instead of Fort Macleod are local owners looking for free electricity... you know, the exact ones Tesla says shouldn't use the Superchargers.

It could simply have been a problem finding a suitable site in Fort Macleod they could get on good terms.

Reactions: Footbag
Maybe we can all contact Tesla requesting that they put a supercharger in Fort MacLeod, AB and Cranbrook, BC, which provides access to southern BC and the Coeur d'Alene supercharger. I still think they should stick to the 2016 plan of having super chargers to access the east bound super chargers on I-90, but by placing superchargers at these two locations, we'd have an eastbound route and access to the southern part of BC.

Maybe we can all contact Tesla requesting that they put a supercharger in Fort MacLeod, AB and Cranbrook, BC, which provides access to southern BC and the Coeur d'Alene supercharger. I still think they should stick to the 2016 plan of having super chargers to access the east bound super chargers on I-90, but by placing superchargers at these two locations, we'd have an eastbound route and access to the southern part of BC.
My understanding is it may be too late. I know they had a location scouting crew up to Alberta looking at Calgary, Edmonton and southern locations to connect to the south. A few of us "petitioned" that Ft MacLeod would be an ideal location and by the sounds of it the location (I don't know where) may already be selected?

I sent a request to Tesla some months ago, including a suggested location at the Cranbrook mall. I spent the night in Invermere, stopped for a few hours in Cranbrook to charge and scout out locations, then headed to Coeur d'Alene. This was with a 70D loaded with bicycles, and against the wind (not winter though, so not the worst conditions).

Cranbrook to Fort MacLeod is 255km. Would that be manageable year round?

I've also sent in a request for Fort Macleod and I agree Cranbrook is a great future location too as it connects to both the Kootenay Valley as well as down to Sandpoint/Spokane/Coeur d'Alene. (160 miles to Coeur d'Alene)

Fort Macleod to Cranbrook is 160 miles which is a safe distance for all vehicles (not towing) in moderate weather. It will be tight in a 60 in adverse weather or when towing. There are two mountain passes, but the highway is slower so overall it would be ok, considering:
Fernie has L2 chargers and is a great Winter (and summer) destination anyway, so people may be stopping for the night/day.

Cranbrook to Lethbridge is 188 miles, so that won't work. If a SuC goes in Lethbridge, I'm sure they'll put one in Fernie (Lethbridge to Fernie is only 130 miles)

Last edited:
After I wrote Tesla, I got this response:
Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors Technical Support, and thank you for your suggested Supercharger locations. I have submitted your request to the Supercharger Team. It appears at least one of your recommendations is already planned south between Calgary and Helena, MT.

From the map, it looks like the dot is on Lethbridge. Hopefully that's just the historic dot and that is is actually in Fort Macleod. Besides the interesting permit, does anyone know for sure? I wonder when construction begins for that permit.

I also find it interesting that the response mentioned Helena, MT. Could that be another supercharger site? It seems awfully close to the Butte supercharger. From the 2016 plan, it looks like they indeed plan on having Helena, Great Falls, and Shelby superchargers (I feel like I'm talking about Ford Mustangs now).

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld
Awesome news, @skrenes! (I assume that was in response to your Fort Mac [the real one ;)] suggestion?) Helena is very close to Butte, but it's almost needed to make it to Great Falls. Helena being a government town probably makes sense.
Yup. It was. I inquired further about future plans but another person responded saying they were not privy to the information but said it looked like it may be "Fort Mac". I'm not sure if she had a more detailed map. I'm glad that we're getting some new super chargers after what I think has been more than a one year hiatus.

I got another email, this time from "The Tesla Supercharger Team" where they said:
Thank you for your email. We are actively working on stations in the areas you mentioned. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

That's great news! Hopefully we see a Cranbrook marker pop up. I suspect it will be next year though.

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld and Lon12
49°43'29.67"N 113°23'50.41"W
Fort Macleod, AB

doubeld, I emailed the info to supercharge.info also, thanks

Fort Macloed - Supercharger.jpg

Awesome!!! That has to be one of the smaller towns to get a SC station. But clearly they listened to our feedback and/or have good route and placement algorithms.
I don't think it is unusual for small towns to get SCs as long as they are strategically located. In Southern Ontario the hamlet of Comber has a station as it is well located on Hwy 401 about 50 km east of Windsor. Grimsby also has an SC rather than much larger nearby cities of Hamilton of St. Catherines.

Awesome!!! That has to be one of the smaller towns to get a SC station. But clearly they listened to our feedback and/or have good route and placement algorithms.
YES! Hopefully, this means Cranbrook is a future possibility! I can easily see more northward travels for me next summer and 150-170 mi will easily work for a tourist like me. Winter travels are a different matter.

If you can, submit an email to [email protected] with the details.

I don't think they needed a particularly advanced algorithm to figure out that Fort Macleod was a good place to put a Supercharger site: it's at an intersection that is on the fastest travel routes to/from Calgary from/to points SW, S and SE.

I think that the bigger challenge for them is getting good sites and agreements in the places they want to put the Superchargers.