Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the store today to book a test drive, and they said the service centre would be "near Blackfoot". No clear timeline, maybe late this year or early next. Like all Tesla promises, I'll believe it when I see it.

As for superchargers, Fort MacLeod is opening "soon". Sweet Grass will probably be next, late this year or early next.

I thought that supercharger will be in Shelby, not Sweet Grass. Shelby is also on highway #2 on the way to Glacier National Park.

I thought that supercharger will be in Shelby, not Sweet Grass. Shelby is also on highway #2 on the way to Glacier National Park.
Shelby would be a better crossroads. Fort Macleod to Shelby is 132 mi and might be a little tight in -25 weather for a s60 (210 RM at 1.1 speed, 400 weight and -25 outside temp on evtripplanner) but not much worse than Sweetgrass to Great Falls (122mi and 207RM).

Fort Macleod Update

Meter in Place!
Plastic off of the the individual superchargers!
But, ends of the plugs are still taped up :(

Looks like the superchargers are missing the cradle for the plugs
Strange the logistics/material that goes into these sites that a little piece of plastic can hold up the opening (if that is indeed the reason)

IMG_20161118_160003.jpg
IMG_20161118_160036.jpg

I know the pin on the future supercharger map looks like Shelby, so that's why I thought it was worth noting when the rep mentioned Sweet Grass. I'll be happy either way. They're both small towns so it's entirely possible they've had trouble finding an appropriate site.

At 5 am I'm sure he just ran in to use the washroom..... not. Welcome to the ICEd world we live in.
Sometimes the hotel staff can find out if it is one of their customers cars and have them moved if necessary.
Last time there was an ICE at Canmore I talked to the hotel staff and the car was moved in under 5 minutes. The front desk seemed to appreciate how critical these spots are for Tesla drivers.

Just thought I would let people know that In had an issue with charger 1b in Golden. Called it in.
That's very disappointing, because I think that's the same one I reported when I was in Golden a couple of months ago. I hope that it's acting up again rather than that Tesla hasn't bothered to fix it in all this time.

I wonder whether a 70D will make it from Hope SC to Kelowna SC... Been thinking quite a bit about it actually. Did Hope SC to Kamloops SC a year ago in pretty adverse (and cold) conditions and made the route with 11% left. We had car fully loaded and ski box on roof (skiing Sun Peaks). During the drive the calculation in times went down to 7% and the family did not appreciate me turning down heat etc. No snow in Sun Peaks right now (season opening postponed), considered Big White but really not been comfortable. Decided on Whistler. Merritt will make all this a no-brainer.....

I’m glad to see supercharging arrive in Merritt. The only time I had truly had range anxiety involved risky range decisions (on my part) and a trip through Merritt on the way to Kelowna. Last August we were on a two week road trip from California to BC to visit relatives. We traveled through Vancouver and up to Whistler for a couple of days of sightseeing before heading to see the family in Kelowna. Whistler had plenty of destination charging choices, so we departed with a full charge and decided to take the Northern route via the interior rather than heading back to Van City and going via 1. The nav wanted to take us via Kamloops, but looking at the map and charging options on plugshare I realized that we were adding at least an hour to the trip by driving up to Kamloops before heading South to Kelowna. Merritt has several L2 chargers, so I considered the time saved driving vs. the longer charge time at at L2 and decided to take the Merritt route (and no, I don’t have a Chademo adapter). We arrived in Merritt with about 22% remaining in the battery (MS 85D) and EV trip planner rated the remaining trip to Kelowna as requiring 29% (taking all of the additional factors into account). I figured 5% extra charge was a sufficient buffer for the journey, so we spent about 40 minutes at the visitor center before heading out along route 5A towards 97. Hot summer weather, full load of passengers (wife and two kids) and luggage. I used a speed multiplier on the trip planner to take into account running with traffic, but I decided to take it easy and run at the speed limit. We hadn’t crested the first long climb out of the valley before the nav started warning me that I needed to keep the speed below 100kmh in order to reach Kelowna. Of course I should have just turned around and headed back to Merritt for more charging time, but instead we pressed on at 100kmh. The farther we went, the slower the nav was telling us to go until we were at 80kmh in a 120kmh zone and the energy display was still showing insufficient charge to reach Kelowna! I’m driving this powerful electric car on a great driving road and I’m limited to 80kmh and being passed by tour busses, oh man this is embarrassing, but the worst part is that I’m committed to making Kelowna as now I’m beyond the range of return to Merritt. Finally we reach a steep climb with a 80kmh posted limit due to construction, I have never been so glad to see a construction zone. Construction only lasts a few k’s and ends before the climbing is done, so I’m back to being the slow car on the road. We finally made it to the summit on 97 by the visitor center and could finally see some regen heading down the hill into Kelowna. In the end, we got to the supercharger with exactly 5% remaining, but had to do it at a much slower speed than anticipated. Lesson learned, I should have either just taken the detour to Kamloops or spent at least an hour on the L2 in Merritt. I think we’ll do the exact same trip next summer and enjoy supercharging in Merritt and laughing about the time we almost arrived on a tow truck. It could have been much worse and the interior of BC is very unforgiving for missed charging opportunities.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
So what's next now that Fort Macleod is done? Any rumours on Edmonton?

It would be really nice of tesla to update their supercharger map to 2017/2018. I'm really curious about Medicine Hat, it would make my future trips out west significantly easier
Considering how much of 2016 they haven't done, you can guess what 2017/2018 will be. Simply the 2016 ones that weren't done.

Considering how much of 2016 they haven't done, you can guess what 2017/2018 will be. Simply the 2016 ones that weren't done.

Well, maybe I am dreaming, but I do remember Elon Saying that there would be Superchargers all the way up to Alaska, for the Model 3!

So - along the way - I would hope they finish the 2016 Targets, and then work on connecting Winnipeg with Sudbury, ON, and with Edmonton, and Calgary, as well as Edmonton though Prince George, BC and over to Prince Rupert, BC, Plus connect Hope to Prince George, as well (Which I pretty much figure they will - if they are going up to Alaska)! that would be some Nice Canadian Goals for 2017! (Along with finishing up the connections through Quebec City to Nova Scotia!)

Happily - Ontario has finally got some push going for getting some DC Quick Chargers in the ground by Next March, 31st/17, so - we will see how well THAT goes - Electric Vehicle Chargers Ontario (EVCO).