Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet, build a extension cord that attaches to the end of the Supercharger, and reaches your garage. Then you can Supercharge at home.

By the way, is this you? Vernon Yacht Club - August 1st I think:
Heh, with the newer cooled cable, maybe that's worth a try... LOL

No, that wasn't me (see my avatar for plate), but I'd wager a few bucks it was Hewey, also from Kamloops...!

Better yet, build a extension cord that attaches to the end of the Supercharger, and reaches your garage. Then you can Supercharge at home.

I know that's a joke, but Good God, can you imagine the thickness of the cable required in order for there to be acceptable loss for max 350A, 350V-400V DC over long distance? It might be cheaper to buy a second Model S and just keep swapping them.

I think you'd need something even thicker than AWG 4/0, but I am mostly just guessing here. You'd need about $30,000 of wire if you're 1 km away. Wire Cable - BARE COPPER 4/0 GAUGE LLR - WIR4/0BCLLR - Ontario Nedco

Completed first Western Canada tour from Seattle through Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden and Canmore. Spent time in Lake Louise and Banff. Made the Ice Fields Visitors Center with 53% remaining after a 100% charge in Canmore. Starting that run from Golden would have been better (a little closer). Found J1772 charger in Banff Bear Street Parkade (as listed in Plugshare) and used Lake Louise Fairmont 14-50 plug (very accommodating Valet, Bell Desk). Kamloops was very impressive SC location at Visitors Center (and we caught the annual RibFest for dinner). Would have liked to make it to Jasper but re-charging there would be very slow.

Assuming Edmonton gets a SC in the next year, a SC in Jasper (and a charging option in Edson) would open up another route into the park.

Right now, I will have to use the old ICE car if I want to go see the Tour of Alberta Stage 4 in Jasper in September.

Completed first Western Canada tour from Seattle through Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden and Canmore. Spent time in Lake Louise and Banff. Made the Ice Fields Visitors Center with 53% remaining after a 100% charge in Canmore. Starting that run from Golden would have been better (a little closer). Found J1772 charger in Banff Bear Street Parkade (as listed in Plugshare) and used Lake Louise Fairmont 14-50 plug (very accommodating Valet, Bell Desk). Kamloops was very impressive SC location at Visitors Center (and we caught the annual RibFest for dinner). Would have liked to make it to Jasper but re-charging there would be very slow.

do you happen to have a dark blue p85d? may have seen you a week ago ish pulling westward out of kamloops, I caught up to same car charging in Hope

There's a really steep climb driving east of Golden before you hit Lake Louise (2600ft vertical from Golden) so leaving from Canmore (only 900 ft differential) to go to the Icefields might not be that much more kWh usage. That is a gorgeous drive though, I'm sure you loved it.

I agree completely. At the very least, they should be installing a few generic Level 2 units with good amperage to serve as a backup at each site. Ideally, a couple of Tesla HPWC's too. The fact that they're planning to charge a fairly high price for the power that can be had for free in many other locations (just not as fast) might also reduce the take-up rate.

Penticton on now has a charging station by Greenlots (behind the Downtown Association) - great location and free for now but you will need a Chedamo adapter as I couldn't get the combo unit working on my Model S.

Also so speaking to the Summerland Resort, the staffer at the desk mentioned Tesla is putting in one or two HPWC in their parking lot or parkade soon (although I did not confirm this).

I know that's a joke, but Good God, can you imagine the thickness of the cable required in order for there to be acceptable loss for max 350A, 350V-400V DC over long distance? It might be cheaper to buy a second Model S and just keep swapping them.

I think you'd need something even thicker than AWG 4/0, but I am mostly just guessing here. You'd need about $30,000 of wire if you're 1 km away. Wire Cable - BARE COPPER 4/0 GAUGE LLR - WIR4/0BCLLR - Ontario Nedco

I was joking with my daughter about how long it would take to charge her iPhone with the Tesla Supercharger if there was an adapter :)

Let's see, 5.45 Wh (= 19620 Watt-seconds) at 120 kW ( = 120000 Watt-seconds/second) -> 163 milliseconds. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe less confusingly: 5.45 Wh / 120000 W = 0.000045416 h = 0.163 s

I knew someone would figure it out for me! Thanks, my daughter will find this amusing that you could charge your iPhone from zero to 100% in less than a second.

Fellow forum member @in2oil and I are planning a drive from Calgary through Vernon to Vancouver starting Wednesday August 26. Perhaps we will see some BC Tesla owners on our trip. We will have a day or two in Vancouver for visiting or grabbing lunch so if anyone in Vancouver is available Monday, August 31 for lunch or even Tuesday... let me know. Hope to run into other owners at the Superchargers as well.

Funny Supercharger story... on our way back through Golden, BC last week, my wife went into the hotel and spoke to the front desk lady who asked about the Tesla. She said another gentleman was sitting in the lobby for about 3 hours earlier that day waiting for a Tesla to arrive just so he could see one live! Unfortunately nobody pulled up during that time. :)

Fellow forum member @in2oil and I are planning a drive from Calgary through Vernon to Vancouver starting Wednesday August 26. Perhaps we will see some BC Tesla owners on our trip. We will have a day or two in Vancouver for visiting or grabbing lunch so if anyone in Vancouver is available Monday, August 31 for lunch or even Tuesday... let me know. Hope to run into other owners at the Superchargers as well.

Funny Supercharger story... on our way back through Golden, BC last week, my wife went into the hotel and spoke to the front desk lady who asked about the Tesla. She said another gentleman was sitting in the lobby for about 3 hours earlier that day waiting for a Tesla to arrive just so he could see one live! Unfortunately nobody pulled up during that time. :)
Cool. I'll be going to Calgary Aug 28-30 to visit friends and take them to the next billion Tesla event so if any other Calgary owners are around the weekend, up for lunch as well.

I should be back around in Vancouver on the Monday/Tuesday, so available for lunch.

If you route yourself through Kamloops, I'm only a few minutes from the local Supercharger - would be happy to meet you guys for a few minutes... coffee, lunch, Supercharger picnic table - whatever.

Cool. I'll be going to Calgary Aug 28-30 to visit friends and take them to the next billion Tesla event so if any other Calgary owners are around the weekend, up for lunch as well.

I should be back around in Vancouver on the Monday/Tuesday, so available for lunch.
Great! I'll be in touch - thanks! Let's plan a Monday "Tesla" Lunch. We will be downtown at the Pinnacle Marriott but can go anywhere to meet.

- - - Updated - - -

If you route yourself through Kamloops, I'm only a few minutes from the local Supercharger - would be happy to meet you guys for a few minutes... coffee, lunch, Supercharger picnic table - whatever.
I believe we will be going through Kamloops on Thursday next week and again on our way back. Will definitely take you up on a meeting at the SC!