Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unforunately, there are many proposed SC stations on the 2015 map where no permit has been pulled and no constuction is pending.

Even more unfortunately there are some obvious locations in Canada which aren't on the 2016 map. There's no plan at all for the maritimes or for Vancouver Island (just ONE supercharger would do the trick). Tesla plans to put 7 Superchargers on I-94 when there's a parallel I-90 route already done, thus enabling Supercharger travel for the metropolises of Miles City, Wyoming, Bismarck and Fargo, North Dakota. Seriously, Tesla, what the hell? You plan to sell cars all over Canada but expect Canadians to drive through the U.S. to go east-west? Don't tell me there's more people on I-94 between the wilds of Wyoming and Minneapolis than there are between Calgary and Winnipeg.

Just as an example.

Do the analysis and send it to Tesla - I am pretty sure that traffic data is publicly available. For example, here is some data from Wyoming http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/planning_projects/Traffic_Data.default.html

And here's some data from Alberta: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType181/production/PointsTrafficVolumeHistory2005-2014.pdf

I don't think Tesla is interested. I already wrote something about relative traffic and importance on Vancouver Island. That went nowhere.

The point isn't so much traffic density as the new route it enables. Those who live along the I-94 "corridor" can at least make it to I-90 without outrageous detours, whereas going that far south from Calgary is ridiculous.

I went to the Supercharger website and suggested a location in Medicine Hat. Since they ask for a specific address, I picked a spot just off the TCH on Redcliffe Drive near hotels and restaurants. In the comments I said that it would be a route connection to Saskatchewan. Looks like we would also need superchargers in Swift Current, Regina, and Brandon to make it to Winnipeg.

I will suggest interesting locations in these cities as I have time to hunt around in Google Maps for good spots in each city. They say they get a high volume of suggestions, so the more the merrier, if anyone else wants to suggest supercharger locations across the Gulf of Saskatchewan.

I went to the Supercharger website and suggested a location in Medicine Hat. Since they ask for a specific address, I picked a spot just off the TCH on Redcliffe Drive near hotels and restaurants. In the comments I said that it would be a route connection to Saskatchewan. Looks like we would also need superchargers in Swift Current, Regina, and Brandon to make it to Winnipeg.

I will suggest interesting locations in these cities as I have time to hunt around in Google Maps for good spots in each city. They say they get a high volume of suggestions, so the more the merrier, if anyone else wants to suggest supercharger locations across the Gulf of Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon. I believe Mayhemn would like one in Prince Albert as well.:smile:

From the Tesla page: "If you own a property that matches this profile, know someone who does, or are able to help in some way, then please fill the form below. If the proposed site is a good fit, we will reach out.
"

What they want is contact information for business owners who are actually interested in it. I think just saying "there should be one at this exit in Medicine Hat" or even "at the X motel in Medicine Hat" won't do much good.

Southern AB Supercharger locations

For those that live in Southern AB, where do you think a good location for a SC would be? I'm a few years away from ownership still, but I want to assist in any way possible to help recommend good charging locations. I drive a fair bit in my ~650km range car, but if we're stuck with only ~350km range EVs, there's still work to be done to help that adoption. One thing that really needs to be factored in to ANY SC location in Southern AB ranging is any East--> West travel. With the Chinook winds raging wildly on any given day, your highway mileage will be significantly hindered.
I think Fernie is a good location for those heading into BC, but what about those heading South, or East?

I think their SC roadmap is anticipating a Lethbridge location, but is that the best location? I guess it's ok for those heading down the I-15 towards Great Falls Montana assuming they put a SC in Shelby Montana, (That's ~240km from Calgary --> Lethbridge, ~160km Lethbridge --> Shelby, ~90 miles from Shelby --> Great Falls or ~170 miles from Shelby --> Helena) but I don't know if that serves options for SW AB locations like Waterton, Pincher Creek or Castle Mountain very well. Lethbridge to Waterton and back with a strong headwind in the winter could easily be pushing the 200mile limit. Waterton is to Lethbridge as Banff is to Calgary, so you know a lot of people will be day-tripping there and any charging options will be few and far between.

My preference would be to put a Supercharging location in Fort Macleod. Unfortunately the town is smaller so the hotel amenities and services wouldn't be as plentiful, but it's a great crossroads to those that want to continue onto Lethbridge; or down to the states either via Coutts or into Glacier National Park in Montana via Carway; or those that want to check out the attractions in SW AB; or those that want to head into BC. The distances are still spaced very well.
~190km Calgary --> Fort Macleod, ~210km Fort Macleod --> Shelby or ~160km from Fort Macleod to Fernie, BC.

Not to leave out the other half of South Southern Alberta, is it a no brainer that we'd need a SC in Brooks as well as Medicine Hat? There's no way you are making it from MH to YYC in the Winter on ANY current Tesla vehicle at 110km/h - let alone with a headwind. Calgary <-- 200km --> Brooks <-- 110km --> MH. Fort Macleod <-- 220km --> Medicine Hat.

I like your ideas, Fort Macleod makes much more sense than Lethbridge, covers more area, and is less prone to ICEing or being tied up by local users.
As for East, Brooks, then Medicine Hat makes sense, but I'd also love something further north to cover the calgary -> saskatoon run, probably drumheller then somewhere in to SK?

I like your ideas, Fort Macleod makes much more sense than Lethbridge, covers more area, and is less prone to ICEing or being tied up by local users.
As for East, Brooks, then Medicine Hat makes sense, but I'd also love something further north to cover the calgary -> saskatoon run, probably drumheller then somewhere in to SK?

That one seems a bit iffy. There is not much traffic from Calgary --> Saskatoon from my experience. It's a much easier flight, whereas Highway 16 is a better route to put SCs on, in my opinion.

Kelowna supercharger location will be on the Best Western property at the corner of Harvey (Hwy #97) and Leckie. Confirmed today with the front desk at the hotel. Construction to begin in the next couple of weeks

Right on, close to Cactus Club :) Good to see them great making progress in BC. I can't believe how many destination chargers are on 97.

That's one more Best Western with a SuperCharger; Revelstoke is another, and a Best Western in Lacombe with a HWPC. I wonder if Best Western and Tesla have something going on?

Probably the best way to map out possible supercharger locations would be to go to evtripplanner and run some scenarios with a 60 kWh car, cold temperatures and a head wind. My understanding is that the current locations have been selected based on the lowest common denominator - the 60 kWh Model S. Whether it makes more sense to use the 70 kWh car as the baseline now, I don't know, but I doubt they'd want to limit the older 60's even thought they become a smaller percentage of the fleet as the factory churns out 70, 85 and 90 models.

Given the cost to install and maintain each new location, excessive overlap probably wouldn't be supported. Certainly the speed (or lack thereof) of build-out in Canada would suggest that maximizing efficiency of site spacing might get more support than the minimal interest we've seen to date.

However, Tesla can calculate the distances and draw circles on a map as easily as we can (probably do it better!). It really comes down to how easy it is to get a site in the right area (in terms of distance interval, proximity to the highway and the availability of suitable amenities close by) and whether the site owner is willing to host the stalls for free, contribute to power costs, commit to many years of hosting... or simply stick out his palm for lease payments. Construction cost is one thing, but paying for the land AND the power over the next many years has to be a factor in calculating the economic viability of each site.

In other words, the best site is owned by someone who sees a supercharger installation as a means of attracting customers to his business(es), instead of treating it like another tenant and lease payment.

- - - Updated - - -

Kelowna supercharger location will be on the Best Western property at the corner of Harvey (Hwy #97) and Leckie. Confirmed today with the front desk at the hotel. Construction to begin in the next couple of weeks
Excellent news, and very interesting, since that establishment already has a nice compliment of Sun Country and HPWC stations on site! I've stayed there and the staff is very positive towards EV's and charging, willing to put out traffic cones to save spaces etc.

My understanding is that the current locations have been selected based on the lowest common denominator - the 60 kWh Model S. Whether it makes more sense to use the 70 kWh car as the baseline now, I don't know, but I doubt they'd want to limit the older 60's even thought they become a smaller percentage of the fleet as the factory churns out 70, 85 and 90 models.

The eventual Model X 70D and base configuration Model III will most likely have a range similar to the Model S 60, so I expect the continuing buildout of the supercharger network will be designed to allow travel for a vehicle with a 200 mile range.

The eventual Model X 70D and base configuration Model III will most likely have a range similar to the Model S 60, so I expect the continuing buildout of the supercharger network will be designed to allow travel for a vehicle with a 200 mile range.

Consider that the cars will eventually see a capacity loss of 10 to 20% (battery degradation), so the lowest common denominator is actually relatively low.

Excellent news, and very interesting, since that establishment already has a nice compliment of Sun Country and HPWC stations on site! I've stayed there and the staff is very positive towards EV's and charging, willing to put out traffic cones to save spaces etc.

Yes, great site. I was there last week and surprised by the number of Sun Country EVSE's around the parking lot. The HPWC will become irrelevant once the Superchargers are in. I hope it doesn't end up like Hope when it took BC Hydro months to connect power.

Yes, great site. I was there last week and surprised by the number of Sun Country EVSE's around the parking lot. The HPWC will become irrelevant once the Superchargers are in. I hope it doesn't end up like Hope when it took BC Hydro months to connect power.
I'm torn by the location however and I wonder if it's been confirmed here and not at the other Best Western Plus in West Kelowna? While the Leckie Road location is a good one for me coming from Kamloops, it's not great for anyone coming over the Coquihalla connector and wanting to head into the south Okanagan. The run from the Peachland highway interchange to Leckie Road is a slow and painful drive at the best of times. Having to do that and double back to the south won't be a popular move. The south Okanagan won't be well-served by the Leckie Road location. I hope Tesla has fully thought this out...