Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they can't find a property owner/manager that will provide favorable lease terms then there won't be a supercharger in a given locale.
Absolutely, I understand that. But I also recognize the significant cost to relocate it elsewhere if the location is found to be unfavorable.

If someone is driving the connector, they're likely headed for Kelowna or Vernon or the south Okanagan. If they're headed to Revelstoke and east, they likely would have gone through Kamloops. So the Leckie Road location is fine for Kelowna and Vernon-destined people, but not for those headed south into holiday-land.

I just don't want the location set forever and a day in a poor location, just to 'get it done'. Better to keep negotiating until a more favorable location is found. Closer to the Peachland interchange would be better IMHO.

Bear in mind that Tesla's map shows a planned SC site at Merritt, so a stop in Merritt will easily enable travel to Kelowna or south OK, even in winter. Given that, I think a better location would be down near Osoyoos or Keremeos would be better in the long term, as that would open up travel along the southern route (Hwy #3).

Bear in mind that Tesla's map shows a planned SC site at Merritt, so a stop in Merritt will easily enable travel to Kelowna or south OK, even in winter. Given that, I think a better location would be down near Osoyoos or Keremeos would be better in the long term, as that would open up travel along the southern route (Hwy #3).
Yes, I concur. Doesn't sound like there was much appetite for locating a site in Merritt though - Kelowna held more interest. And logically enough, since the jump from Hope should be able to get us to Kelowna just as it does to Kamloops. But if you extend the mind-map as it were, to the Okanagan with considerations to southern corridor as well, the ideal sites jump around quite a significantly. Plenty of equations with plenty of unknowns.

I'm not sure how Tesla does this planning, but suspect that they come at it from a properties acquisition perspective, rather than a technical perspective. In other words, they have general ideas of where they want to be, then see what their field people can locate and negotiate. If they get a site in the right general area, they take it and shift their ideas of where they want to be next. Or at least that's how it seems. Predetermining the ideal matrix would be great, but only if they could be sure to be able to get all the locations necessary. Missing one would mess up the design.

If you're going to the south Okanagan, that area is well served by the multitude of destination chargers. I'm in Osoyoos a more often than I'd like (That place is TOO HOT!) and have seen loads of US and Canadian Tesla cars in the area. A lot of the wineries in the region that have drink &/or stay options have HPWCs or other chargers available. I count 16 south of Mission Hill Winery (which has one). Going from Merritt to the South Okanagan is doable easily by 97c or going through Princeton. The Kermeos (Hwy3) route is way more scenic too IMO.

I think having a charging location before driving through the gong-show that is Kelowna at the best of times is a good idea. It's a short backtrack if you're coming from highway 1 and your destination is Big White or day-tripping around the country side.

As for south of there, they seem to have a lot of interest in the Okanagan, so Osoyoos might get their own SC in the future.

Merritt is needed for the 60 kWh vehicles. You can not get from Kelowna to Hope in the winter with a 60 without a stop enroute. Even in an 85, the winter range is too tight for my comfort.

I agree with beeeerock that West Kelowna would be a better location than the Best Western at Leckie Rd. There is a lot of available space along the highway in West Kelowna for a supercharger while still being within walking distance of quite a few amenities. Yes, there are even more amenities near the Leckie Rd Best Western, but space is so limited, you can count on a supercharger in that location being ICED from dusk to dawn. A better location near to the Orchard Park mall would be across Springfield near the Shell station on Benvoulin Crt. But, it does come down to what properties are offered to Tesla.

I'm torn by the location however and I wonder if it's been confirmed here and not at the other Best Western Plus in West Kelowna? While the Leckie Road location is a good one for me coming from Kamloops, it's not great for anyone coming over the Coquihalla connector and wanting to head into the south Okanagan. The run from the Peachland highway interchange to Leckie Road is a slow and painful drive at the best of times. Having to do that and double back to the south won't be a popular move. The south Okanagan won't be well-served by the Leckie Road location. I hope Tesla has fully thought this out...

Yes, good points. I was being selfish since my daughter is at UBCO and it's right on the way. But the lights and traffic on that stretch are terrible and it would be bad to have to make your way there and back if going south after the connector. This is the ideal spot and the BC Government should offer up the spots for free to promote EV's:

http://www.hellobc.com/visitorcentrelisting/4548135/thompson-okanagan-connector-visitor-centre.aspx

Yes, good points. I was being selfish since my daughter is at UBCO and it's right on the way. But the lights and traffic on that stretch are terrible and it would be bad to have to make your way there and back if going south after the connector. This is the ideal spot and the BC Government should offer up the spots for free to promote EV's:

http://www.hellobc.com/visitorcentrelisting/4548135/thompson-okanagan-connector-visitor-centre.aspx
Yes, there are plenty of visitor center locations just like that one around the province... Merritt for instance. Kamloops is located at a visitor center. Only problem is a lack of amenities within an easy walking distance in most cases - Kamloops being an exception.

Kelowna Supercharger Construction has Started

Dropped by the Best Western at Leckie Rd and Hwy 97 in Kelowna today and construction of the supercharger has started. 8 stalls. It's around the back (west) side of the building. The crew from Squamish aims to finish up in 2 to 3 weeks, but the hotel has some restrictions on when they can work, so it maybe a bit longer. Fortis will need to pull power to the site after the contractors have completed their work and it sounds like Fortis will have to do some upgrades in the area, so expect that to add a significant delay.

I'm hoping before Christmas.

(Fresh snow on the top of Silver Star today and it will probably stay for the season!).

IMG_20151027_163541.jpg
IMG_20151027_163608.jpg

Reactions: MarcoRP
That location works best for me personally, but not convinced it's the best overall.

It seems like a sensible location to me (some guy who's never driven through that area, so add salt to taste), being at a (locally) major intersection -Rt33/Rt97, and being within a single charge range of Hope, Kamloops, and Revelstoke.
If we assume that the area will continue to be populated with more SCs as time marches forward, this gives route options, albeit with slightly long separations, with a minimum initial infrastructure.
Why do you think it's not a good location?

It seems like a sensible location to me (some guy who's never driven through that area, so add salt to taste), being at a (locally) major intersection -Rt33/Rt97, and being within a single charge range of Hope, Kamloops, and Revelstoke.
If we assume that the area will continue to be populated with more SCs as time marches forward, this gives route options, albeit with slightly long separations, with a minimum initial infrastructure.
Why do you think it's not a good location?

Beerock is right. Take a look at the map in this link:

Many people go right after the 97c (connector) to "holidayland" -- Peachland, Penticton, Osoyoos, etc. For those people, they have to first go left, and the traffic through to the Supercharger site can be really bad. It's a long way out of the way for a much needed charge for those people.

-

Last edited:
I like your ideas, Fort Macleod makes much more sense than Lethbridge, covers more area, and is less prone to ICEing or being tied up by local users.
As for East, Brooks, then Medicine Hat makes sense, but I'd also love something further north to cover the calgary -> saskatoon run, probably drumheller then somewhere in to SK?
Agreed on Fort Macleod, it's still on route from Calgary to US I-15, plus closer to the Cranbrook (255 km). I suggested the Cranbrook mall to Tesla. We'll see if they bite. It's a bit of distance to the Coeur d'Alene SC (and also to Fort Macleod) but I'd be willing to drive slow to save driving all the way over to Seattle, Vancouver, Kamloops, etc just to get to Banff.

I suggested the Cranbrook mall to Tesla. We'll see if they bite. It's a bit of distance to the Coeur d'Alene SC (and also to Fort Macleod) but I'd be willing to drive slow to save driving all the way over to Seattle, Vancouver, Kamloops, etc just to get to Banff.

I have driven the 255km from Cranbrook to Coeur d'Alene without any difficulty, and Cranbrook connects well to the existing superchargers in Golden and Canmore (as it would to your proposed Fort MacLeod location). I think that 250km is a good target range for the initial roll-out of the supercharger network.

I have driven the 255km from Cranbrook to Coeur d'Alene without any difficulty, and Cranbrook connects well to the existing superchargers in Golden and Canmore (as it would to your proposed Fort MacLeod location). I think that 250km is a good target range for the initial roll-out of the supercharger network.
Isn't Cranbrook a bit far from either Canmore or golden? I'd think one in Invermere would beer needed too

Isn't Cranbrook a bit far from either Canmore or golden? I'd think one in Invermere would beer needed too

Cranbrook to Golden is pretty much a standard 245km trip between superchargers (easy enough heading either north or south), while the 300km to Canmore is reasonable for an 85kw or 90kw car (a stop for coffee at the Kicking Horse Café in Invermere and its CS90 could make the trip easier in winter). Adding a supercharger in Invermere should be a lower priority second stage for the supercharger network.

Cranbrook to Golden is pretty much a standard 245km trip between superchargers (easy enough heading either north or south), while the 300km to Canmore is reasonable for an 85kw or 90kw car (a stop for coffee at the Kicking Horse Café in Invermere and its CS90 could make the trip easier in winter). Adding a supercharger in Invermere should be a lower priority second stage for the supercharger network.

I'm hoping that a Supercharger on Vancouver Island will be in the works prior to Tesla "filling in" the network. Just one in or near Nanaimo would handle all traffic to/from the Mainland and to/from Victoria, Tofino/west coast, and the upper island.