Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100A charger allows 80A charging because you're only allowed to pull 80%, the car can handle 80A. Chargers are rated by circuit rating, not available power.

That wasn't point (which was made "tongue in cheek").

My point was simply that HPWC's are not called 100 amp chargers. The are called 80 amp chargers (or, more correctly, 80 amp EVSE's -- since the "charger" is located in the vehicle itself). Otherwise, we'd have to reduce all the EVSE amp's listed on Plug Share to determine what amps we actually get. But that's not what is done. People list the amp output, not the breaker rating.

That wasn't point (which was made "tongue in cheek").

My point was simply that HPWC's are not called 100 amp chargers. The are called 80 amp chargers (or, more correctly, 80 amp EVSE's -- since the "charger" is located in the vehicle itself). Otherwise, we'd have to reduce all the EVSE amp's listed on Plug Share to determine what amps we actually get. But that's not what is done. People list the amp output, not the breaker rating.

True, and correct, but there is confusion thanks to Sun Country labelling their chargers (ahem, EVSEs) based on circuit breaker rating. SCH-100 delivers 80A, SCH-90 delivers 72A, etc. I really wish they hadn't done it that way.

True, and correct, but there is confusion thanks to Sun Country labelling their chargers (ahem, EVSEs) based on circuit breaker rating. SCH-100 delivers 80A, SCH-90 delivers 72A, etc. I really wish they hadn't done it that way.

That's Clipper Creek's convention. I suspect it's done that way because it's less confusing for the electricians installing it; the circuit rating is the model number. And it "sounds better" I suppose.

That's Clipper Creek's convention. I suspect it's done that way because it's less confusing for the electricians installing it; the circuit rating is the model number. And it "sounds better" I suppose.

Yes, I know, the SCH units are just rebranded Clipper Creek units. SCH *could* have changed the model #s to avoid confusion, however. Most of the J1772 high-current EVSEs in the wild in Canada are from SCH.

And just to add to the confusion, I've now been told that the unit is actually an SCH-90 (thus 72A) because the service wouldn't support a 100A breaker. Apparently the SCH-100 that I purchased/sponsored went to Nova Scotia.

And just to add to the confusion, I've now been told that the unit is actually an SCH-90 (thus 72A) because the service wouldn't support a 100A breaker. Apparently the SCH-100 that I purchased/sponsored went to Nova Scotia.
That would figure... I've been waiting for several months for the SCH-100 I ordered for Williams Lake. I was told 'five business days'. I suspect they simply can't get Clipper Creek to produce the units they've sold in a timely fashion. That can't be allowed to continue indefinitely...

That would figure... I've been waiting for several months for the SCH-100 I ordered for Williams Lake. I was told 'five business days'. I suspect they simply can't get Clipper Creek to produce the units they've sold in a timely fashion. That can't be allowed to continue indefinitely...

In my case, the unit was originally sent to my house by mistake so I know it was available. I then returned it but it took a long time to get it placed. In fact over a year. My understanding is that finding hotels or other locations who are willing to install is difficult. There have been a couple of prospects that came up and ultimately didn't pan out.

There should soon be a 100amp charger in Strathmore (East of Calgary) sponsored by yours truly. Not sure when it will be completed it I'll let you know when I have an update.

I was under the impression Strathmore already has a charger. Probably not 100amp though.

strathmore.jpg

I thought this was Fortis not BC Hydro? (Not that this would make it any better...)
Parts of Kelowna are on Fortis, parts are on BC Hydro. The Tesla supercharger is in Fortis territory.

Having said that:

It's Christmas Time!

IMG_20151216_180537.jpg

IMG_20151216_180406 crop.jpg

IMG_20151216_180630 crop.jpg

Showed up sometime since Sunday. Front of cabinet is not padlocked, meter is unpowered. Given my conversation with the contractor back at the start of construction I will be pleasantly surprised if it is just a matter of connecting cables. It was unclear if there was enough power in the area to feed this load and the nearest high tension line is about half a kilometre away on Springfield.

We had 3 Teslas meet up at the Canmore Supercharger today, and there were only 2 stalls available, the other 2 were blocked by a single Crown Victoria parked incredibly badly. The good news is that after the meet I went back down there and I talked to the staff in the hotel and they were extremely sympathetic, they seemed to really understand the gravity of the situation, and they immediately called the room of the person who owned the car and had him go out and move it.
Quote from the manager "If one person gets away with it, others will think they can too!" At least someone grasps the problem!

They said they realize they're the only one before Calgary, I informed them there wasn't even one in Calgary so people heading to Edmonton REALLY need that charger to be able to make it to Red Deer.