Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a little vacation in April, heading north through Osoyoos to at least Kamloops, maybe Revelstoke, probably looping back on 99 through Whistler to Vancouver and Seattle. We would likely overnight in Omak, WA, Penticton-Vernon, Kamloops, and Lillooetat http://www.retasketlodge.com/ I'm also debating on taking 12/1 from Lilloet to Hope. We will be bringing mountain bikes and only have a 70D, so range will be greatly impacted, but this allows us to park the car and enjoy things more slowly. We're not serious gear heads, probably 50 km is our limit now, but have done many long cycling trips in the past, including 200 km weekends and a three week 1000+ km tandem trip down the Oregon coast. Any advice or suggestions for things to do or see would be greatly appreciated (Please feel free to PM or post). As for range, I've never used EVTripplaner, instead just relying on my 4+ years of Leaf experience, the Tesla navigation/energy usage tools, and slowing down as necessary. Of course, this works pretty well for vacationing where arrival time is relatively unimportant.

OT, if anyone has a specific location that you would like investigated for future charging, I would be willing to scope out the area and talk to business owners. I think having an out of town EV tourist show up who needs charging is a perfect incentive for communities and business owners. We can always use more charging options, J1772, HPWC, or SCs.

I'm headed to Revelstoke in about 2 weeks and this leg of the trip is the most concerning for me in my 70D. Evtripplanner says I should make it fine, but I'm a little skeptical. Do you use autopilot/tacc to make the trip? What is your avg wh/km for Hope to Kamloops if you know it?

I'd say it'll be close in cold weather. I haven't done Hope to Kamloops, just Hope to Kelowna which I think is more challenging terrain, and it's always a bit close in cold weather with the 85. I don't think I'd do Kelowna in a 70D.

You could try the Coldwater Rd. bypass before Merritt (Google Maps) -- it'll save you a big hill, force you to drive slower, and take you past the Merritt Sun Country charger just in case. :eek:

I'd say it'll be close in cold weather. I haven't done Hope to Kamloops, just Hope to Kelowna which I think is more challenging terrain, and it's always a bit close in cold weather with the 85. I don't think I'd do Kelowna in a 70D.

You could try the Coldwater Rd. bypass before Merritt (Google Maps) -- it'll save you a big hill, force you to drive slower, and take you past the Merritt Sun Country charger just in case. :eek:
Cold weather? In BC?

I got the map update today and took a short spin up Phase 2 of the Coquihalla to see if the 120 km/h limit is recognized. Short story - yes, the GPS and mapping shows 120 more or less where it should be. It doesn't read the signs yet, but given it was just a mapping update and not a firmware update, that's not surprising.

If I had been thinking, I would have checked the trip planner a few days ago for a leg of the trip for comparison with what was coming (arrived) to see how much variation there is in the energy calculation. My expectation is that the trip planner will now show less charge at the destination than it did before, since the assumed travel speed will be higher.

I got the map update today and took a short spin up Phase 2 of the Coquihalla to see if the 120 km/h limit is recognized. Short story - yes, the GPS and mapping shows 120 more or less where it should be. It doesn't read the signs yet, but given it was just a mapping update and not a firmware update, that's not surprising.

If I had been thinking, I would have checked the trip planner a few days ago for a leg of the trip for comparison with what was coming (arrived) to see how much variation there is in the energy calculation. My expectation is that the trip planner will now show less charge at the destination than it did before, since the assumed travel speed will be higher.
Lets hope so! I waited until I was 30% over (at 90%) from Kamloops to Hope last time and arrived with 5km range left. Phew. Well it didn't help I did I was slightly over the limit the whole way, not bad for a 60 battery really. :) That first hill brutally eats the range up fast.

Lets hope so! I waited until I was 30% over (at 90%) from Kamloops to Hope last time and arrived with 5km range left. Phew. Well it didn't help I did I was slightly over the limit the whole way, not bad for a 60 battery really. :) That first hill brutally eats the range up fast.
Yeah, the additional energy to do 60 instead of 50 km/h is significantly different to doing 110 instead of 100! The trip planner really needs to have more inputs to include, for instance, the programmed speed offset for cruise... and perhaps even the seasonal average temperature (real time weather lookups would be better).

Merritt and Vancouver no longer on Tesla's 2016 Supercharger map. :mad:

A recent trip to the coast in good winter conditions with a roof box proved the requirement for a charge in Merritt. On the trip down to the coast I arrived in Hope with 20 km of rated range remaining after a range charge at home (412 km on a 2013, 50000km, S85). At one point I had 42 km of rated range with 46 km to go - not a comfortable situation.

On the return trip I left Hope with 390 km rated range and decided that it would be prudent to top up in Merritt before heading over the Connector. May, or may not, have have made it without the top up. Roads bare and dry on the return trip, temperatures between 3 and -3 once out of Hope. Kept to the speed limit (120 Hope to Merritt; 100-120 Merritt to Kelowna). Probably would not have been a problem without the roof box.

My wife was in Merritt and chatted with someone who said they are in talks with Tesla, I emailed the guy but haven't heard back. However, there is a new hotel going in by the BP and another one by all the gas stations. I'm venturing the one by BP is a Holiday Inn. And, I would venture to bet that a SC goes in at one of these locations as the best time to set it up would be when all the power etc is already being brought in. I could be wrong, and I here back from the guy I emailed, I'll post here.

Just reserved a 3. Will the base model 215 mile range be enough to get thru the mountain areas on my way to Vancouver from Calgary? Using super chargers...

Yes, but be careful over the Coquihalla in the winter with today's supercharger configuration. In the summer it can be done much easier. I will be doing it in my 60 this august, and I am not worried at all By the time you get your 3, Merrit should be up and then it will be no problem.

For all your planning needs try using the Route Energy Planner tool at www.evtripplanner.com and use a 60 or 70 as a base for now.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts