Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic

This was on Wednesday in Merritt

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 155
Are there 8 stations in place? My understanding was that the site was sized for 8, but only 4 would be installed at this time. If there's 8, that suggests Tesla is expecting more use than they were assuming previously. Interesting.
4 cabinets means 8 chargers. It's also consistent with all the most recent SC installs they've done that have also been 8. Makes sense.
Also noted in the second image is a pull-in stall. That's welcome.

Well I decided I wanted to feel like a paparazzi and pester the crews building the Fort Macleod chargers, or at least buy them a coffee. But no such luck today. I was so disappointed that it wasn't working yet. :rolleyes:
You can see there are a few piles of gravel that still need to be leveled.
I had a lot of fun driving there from Calgary. I've never pushed the range like that before. The trip planner said that I would only have 52% when I arrived there. Calgary is higher than Fort Macleod so I was expecting to use even more than that coming home. But I was able to make it home with 9%. Only had the yellow line. I wanted to get into the red but couldn't make it do that. Never thought about opening all the windows for more drag.View attachment 197463 View attachment 197460 View attachment 197461 View attachment 197462 View attachment 197464 View attachment 197465 View attachment 197466
They're like little Christmas presents just waiting to be unwrapped! Great highway visibility as that is a well-travelled road and eventually people will see all these Teslas charging there. Pretty cool!

Can't wait for the route to the southwest US to open up on Superchargers - I propose a Vegas group road trip when they do!

Has anyone ever made a trip from Vancouver, BC to Apex Ski Mountain in the winter? I am planning a trip with my MS 70D this January but am not sure I can make it. The last Supercharging charging spot is in Hope, and that is about 240kms or 150 miles, mostly up hill, to the final destination. It will be very cold and the car will be fully loaded with four people and a Thule. I know that there are destination charges in Princeton, but I don't want to rely on those as they may be occupied or out of service.

My only other alternative is to re-license my SUV, but I really, really don't and to do that.

Has anyone ever made a trip from Vancouver, BC to Apex Ski Mountain in the winter? I am planning a trip with my MS 70D this January but am not sure I can make it. The last Supercharging charging spot is in Hope, and that is about 240kms or 150 miles, mostly up hill, to the final destination. It will be very cold and the car will be fully loaded with four people and a Thule. I know that there are destination charges in Princeton, but I don't want to rely on those as they may be occupied or out of service.

My only other alternative is to re-license my SUV, but I really, really don't and to do that.

A longer drive but you could go through Kelowna and use the super chargers there,

Some past energy usages.

Kelowna to Nickel Plate Nordic (~7km past and 50 m higher than Apex) on bare roads/ compact snow at -10C in the valley dropping to -18C at Nickel Plate:

Kelowna to Nickel Plate, 112 km, 36.6 kWh.
Penticton to Nickel Plate, 38.5 km, 19.3 kWh.
Nickel Plate to Penticton, 39 km, 0.5 kWh.
Nickel Plate to Kelowna, 112 km, 17.5 kWh.
Round trip, 224 km, 54.1 kWh.

On another trip at -3C in the valley and -10C at Nickel Plate:
Kelowna to Nickel Plate, 111 km, 36.1 kWh.
Kelowna to Penticton, 72 km, 16.3 kWh.
Penticton to Nickel Plate, 39 km, 19.8 kWh.

The climb out of Penticton is considerable, especially uphill from the Apex Rd / Green Mountain Rd intersection. I would expect that the energy usage from Keremeos, via the Twin Lakes end of the Green Mountain Rd, would be similar to the usage out of Penticton.