Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be there tonight. What time does it lock?

You might be in luck even if you come after they are locked (and I'm not certain what time that is). The construction crew said they might be done by tonight. No idea if that means the keypad will be functional, but one can hope. Use the north entrance...
gate.jpg
keypad.jpg

Currently, the Edmonton Supercharger gets locked away at night (landlord locks the manual gates to the parking lot). It seems Tesla may be planning on replacing one of the gates with something owners could open up, as the Nav entry for the supercharger shows a 4 digit code.
I don't think it's a very good idea to post that - any scallywag now knows the code

Reactions: Footbag
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up just going there earlier. Didn't really need the charge, but had to cross this one off my list :) I guess those pics must have been taken immediately after I left because I didn't see those guys there and I did use the north entrance/exit.

Going earlier caused me to miss the beginning of the Eskimos game but not that big a deal since I was a neutral fan anyway. Figuring out how to park down by the stadium was an adventure as well. Apparently you just have to ask locals if you can park in their alley lol.

I came to Southgate LRT at 10:45 am Sunday to drop my daughter and passed by the Southgate mall. The gates to the supercharger were locked on south and north side. I wanted to find out what was going on as it would be a huge problem to travelling tesla owners.
Spoke to Security after quite a bit of a search. She said the gates are open. .I contradicted her adamantly. .she walked up and apologised and got them opened.
She had no clue about the keypads (Two. .in & out) for access to the supercharger.
She said they definitely lock both the south and north gates after Mall hours.
She advised to contact the security if you arrive after hours and was not sure if they will open. .guess it depends on your luck.
Hopefully tesla will solve this problem.

Last edited:
It's 256 miles (412km) from Fort MacLeod to Missoula so there is a supercharger connection between Alberta and Montana and the rest of the US... at least there is in summer.
FWIW I just did this route in my 90D which now only has a max charge of 282 rated miles. As a precaution, I stayed at the Red Lion in Kalispell which has both a HPWC and a 40amp L2 Clipper Creek. I called ahead and they coned off both spots for me, but they did say it was first come, first serve for EVs of course. Anyways, I drove fairly fast 5mph over the speed limit from Fort MacLeod to St. Mary and then probably 15mph over the speed limit through Glacier NP (it was dark by then and there was almost no traffic. Saw like 4 cars the whole way and never did see a pedestrian or large animal.). There is no charge to drive through Glacier after dark, or after whenever the booth closes (probably 5pm or so).

When I arrived in Kalispell I had the same number of rated miles remaining as I had left to get to the Missoula supercharger. So driving fast had burned through my 20 rated mile buffer. That being said, if something had fallen through with the charging at Kalispell, I'm confident I could have easily made it to Missoula. Would have just driven slower of course. Also, even if the chargers were taken, there were some 120V outlets at the Red Lion listed on Plugshare, which would have more than sufficed to get me enough range over night.

Lastly, if you are just passing through and don't wish to stay the night in Kalispell, the two chargers offered by the Red Lion are pretty well set up to just top off for an hour or two to get enough range to move on with your trip. They both get 30-50mph in charge and there is a Starbucks in the same parking lot where you can hang out. There's also some other stuff within walking distance. I'm not sure if they like non-guests using the chargers, but I don't think they get much use and they are in the open parking lot on the side of the building so it might be a case of it being easier to ask forgiveness than permission lol. I think the biggest concern if you showed up without calling ahead is that the chargers would be ICEd, but even then they both have long cables, so as long as you can park within about 3-4 parking spots of the chargers, you would be fine.

The Fort MacLeod supercharger was hilarious. I hadn't realized how tiny a town it was. No idea what that BJ Teriyaki Wafflehouse was, but it didn't sound appetizing and it didn't look inviting so I didn't go in. The old school drive in fast food place across the way might be decent but I didn't try that either. There is at least a gas station nearby for those kind of convenience store needs.

What I did do was walk about a half mile to the Tim Horton's. It wasn't ideal, but I needed a range charge and I wanted to get online (really annoying not being able to tether to my phone like I do in the states... This is a life saver for curing supercharger boredom lol.). It's not a bad walk and the internet at the Tim Horton's worked fine. The food is well... Tim Horton's.

BTW it would be nice if each supercharger had its own page like they do on the other forums. It's basically impossible to sift through this 105 page thread and search for any info on each of the Canadian superchargers. Maybe a moderator could just start new threads for each charger now and that way we can update with info as we visit each charger. And then hopefully they could be linked to the dots on supercharge.info. I would do it myself but it wouldn't seem appropriate as I'm not even Canadian let alone a moderator lol.

Lastly, I could also see an argument for separating the Canada forum into two forums, one for western Canada and one for eastern Canada. They really are two entirely different regions, especially with the way Tesla has neglected the middle.

The Fort MacLeod supercharger was hilarious. I hadn't realized how tiny a town it was. No idea what that BJ Teriyaki Wafflehouse was, but it didn't sound appetizing and it didn't look inviting so I didn't go in.

A quick Google says that it's a Japanese restaurant that also does a breakfast service, though the bulgogi on the menu suggests it's a Korean run operation. It's actually well reviewed on TripAdvisor. I've never been but I'm sure it's better than Tim Hortons (in that almost anything would be better than Tim Hortons.)

Going earlier caused me to miss the beginning of the Eskimos game but not that big a deal since I was a neutral fan anyway. Figuring out how to park down by the stadium was an adventure as well. Apparently you just have to ask locals if you can park in their alley lol.

Off-topic, but as an Eskies fan I'm sorry you had to witness that game. At least, I'm sorry I witnessed it. Hope you enjoyed it though. Glad you found the Supercharger too.

Off-topic, but as an Eskies fan I'm sorry you had to witness that game. At least, I'm sorry I witnessed it. Hope you enjoyed it though. Glad you found the Supercharger too.
Ha yeah, it wasn't the greatest game for the home side, but at least there was no shortage of scoring in addition to a couple highly unusual plays so it was reasonably entertaining at least. I've been to two CFL games in my life and both of them had something near 100 points. The other one was an Argos/Lions game at BC Place when I was a kid. Pinball Clemons, Rocket Ismail and Doug Flutie were featured in that one.

BTW a friend of mine from high school played 3 seasons for the Eskimos back in the 90s. He went on to play about a dozen seasons in the NFL only returning to the CFL with the Blue Bombers for a couple years while suffering a drug suspension.

I've noticed that the SuperCharger status in the car has been very intermittent lately. Some days it shows how many cars are charging and other days nothing at all. I notice today nothing is showing for status again.
A week or two ago the "stalls available" thing wasn't working for any supercharger for a few days. Even when those do work, they haven't been very accurate. I think many of the stalls don't "communicate" with HQ so they show as being in use constantly. I've seen some rural superchargers that constantly say 10 out of 14 stalls in use even when no one is there.

Cross Iron Mills, aka Rocky View, aka Calgary is currently down for Fortis transformer repair. Estimated repair time: 90 minutes.

Have called Tesla to have them update in car navigation.
Back up and running. Not an electrical problem, rather the Fortis transformer base had sunk on one side and needed to be shored up before electrical lines pulled out.

Charging started at 117 kW, but dropped to 65 kW in a few minutes even though SOC at 20%. Same experience on 1A, 2A, and 3A.

Thanks to Lonnie for his suggestion of alternative charging at Carl's Jr.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
FYI, my boss reports the code for the Edmonton Supercharger gates still doesn't work. He had to go track down Security this morning, the head Security guy was apparently not very accommodating to go open the gate, and said the code pad wouldn't be functional for another week or two maybe. Gates not open at 9 a.m. this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
At Cross Iron Mall and all 8 stalls in use by ICE vehicles. Talked to security and they said all day non EVs use stalls as mall busy. They give warnings but no cost so no one cares.

Asked for them to be towed but mall can't do that.

People are so ignorant.

Ask security or the mall info center who the towing contractor is?

These are the same people that you see parked in handy cap parking stalls too. I'm sure the mall has a towing company they deal with if a fire zone or loading zone is blocked. Ask the tow company for some signs.

I contracted a towing company (Mission Towing to be exact as seen on the TV series Highway Thru Hell) and bought some of their signs that say "Authorized Vehicles Only And Violators Would Be Towed At Owners Expence" at my business parking lot which had lots of after hours vehicles parked overnight. Once I had the signs up, a simple call to the tow company and I have not had a problem with non-customers to my business taking up spaces in my lot.

Just place a couple of these signs on the Tesla Charging sign posts in front of the Superchargers and it might deter ICEing.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.PNG
    IMG_5996.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Reactions: mrElbe