Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite an interesting juxtaposition.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412534255.622331.jpg

Red Deer Supercharger location

Response from City of Red Deer regarding location:

----------------------------------------------------------

As no development permit is required, my knowledge is limited. The last I heard, they were proposing to place the superchargers at the Sheraton Inn, 3310-50 Avenue.

Vicki Swainson
Development Officer
Inspections & Licensing Department
The City of Red Deer
City Hall, 4914-48 Avenue, Red Deer
phone: 403-342-8399
mail to: Box 5008, Red Deer AB T4N 3T4
email: [email protected]

IMG_20141006_134749.jpg

Hope at lunch today. Notice the lovely concrete pad for a BC Hydro transformer? In the background you can see fresh asphalt leading to a power pole (devoid of link gear and feeder cabling).

It's been 3 weeks since the electrical contractors finished up and still no power.

A couple of tidbits:
• the supercharger units are 135 kW units.
• there is an active 30A/120V RV plug immediately to the left of the picture.
• the black covering on 2 of the pedestals is thin foam wrap (sheeting).

It's been 3 weeks since the electrical contractors finished up and still no power.

Thanks for the photo and update! I am surprised at this, because what benefit is there to BC Hydro to not be selling energy? Either there is some mess-up somewhere, or the transformer is some rare thing with a long lead-time for delivery. Does anyone knowledgeable about the market for transformers wish to comment? Is there an inventory of transformers that you can just order and install, or are they made to order? I would think that it would not normally take a month to get a transformer on site.

You know what bugs me most about this, is that this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving, and there will be lots of travelling and this SC is a big part of my travel plans for this weekend... I know I can charge at the SunCountry charger, but it sucks that Hope may miss such a huge travel weekend as a result of Hydro.

You know what bugs me most about this, is that this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving, and there will be lots of travelling and this SC is a big part of my travel plans for this weekend... I know I can charge at the SunCountry charger, but it sucks that Hope may miss such a huge travel weekend as a result of Hydro.

I skipped going to a wedding in Vernon this weekend, because I wasn't confident my S60 could get enough of a charge in Merritt, to make the drive there in a reasonable amount of time. I sat on hold with BC Hydro today for at least an hour before finally speaking with a customer service rep named Cole. She couldn't offer any advice on whom to speak with, to get more accurate info than "soon." She suggested we call Tesla. Finally she said she would route me to the local design person, but rather than providing his info, she would provide him with mine. I'm not really expecting to hear back from anyone, but will provide info if I do. Perhaps a few more calls to BC Hydro would provide illumination? They wanted to know the design number. Starts with 013? If I had that info they could tell me when the transformer was scheduled for installation.

I skipped going to a wedding in Vernon this weekend...

That's ironic... I went to a wedding in Vernon on Sept. 27 but had to leave the Tesla at home and go in my wife's BMW because BC Hydro as a Crown Corporation has no accountability to taxpayers, and is a bloated bureaucracy more concerned about their own welfare than serving the public. It makes no sense why we give them a monopoly with no accountability at all. That's why Brian got the telephone run around with no answer. There are no answers when it comes to BC Hydro. They just hold their middle finger up to us taxpayers and ratepayers.

Here's a good summary of what we are dealing with in BC:

"BC Hydro is on track to lose billions this year. British Columbians paid $676 million for IPP power last year, more than twice the price of imported electirity at that time.

The recent proposed hikes to electricity rates in British Columbia have brought to light severe mismanagement issues on the part of BC Hydro. The crown corporation’s published salaries show that 45%, or over 2,600 of its employees, currently make six figures, with 10% making over $150,000.

Executives have seen extremely large pay increases, with president Charles Reid making 7.7% more than last year, for example. Furthermore, bonuses as high as $90,000 for higher-ups are raising serious questions. These figures are especially troubling when one considers BC Hydro’s current financial situation. On top of the rate hikes (which are proposed at 26% over the next three years!!), the corporation is deep in debt and mismanaging money meant for new infrastructure. Questionable charges such as a $35 fee in order to not have a smart meter installed at one’s home point to poor use of these funding allocations.

The most troubling thing about these issues is the fact that consumers are being expected to shoulder the burden of BC Hydro’s financial mismanagement. The pay raises for executives, as well as sky-high salaries for a large portion of other employees are being translated into higher costs for customers, and BC Hydro’s monopoly on electricity in the province does not provide them with another viable alternative.

This highlights the main problem with the structuring of crown corporations in BC. The lack of accountability on the part of executives leaves taxpayers on the hook. In fact, a public report issued two years ago slammed BC Hydro for their corporate structure, sky-high executive pay, and massive bonuses. Clearly, there has been little done to remedy the problems that plague the corporation’s finances since this report, and instead, Hydro has resorted to rate increases and excuses. They argue that high salaries are necessary in order to keep talented executives from moving into the private sector, and that the the need for competitive wages coupled with overtime required for on-the-ground employees in the instance of storm-related repairs explains their high earnings. The problem with this assertion is that BC Hydro is increasing executive salaries at an annual rate far greater than inflation, and doing little to cut costs elsewhere.

The fact that the financial consequences of this mismanagement are being passed on to consumers signals a need for a re-evaluation of how the corporation is run. Further than that, it should prompt a hard look at all of the province’s crown corporations. BC Ferries, for example, pays out executive bonuses equally as outlandish as Hydro’s, and they are likewise in debt. Anyone who examines Washington State's Ferry Corporation would see a much more cost effective management structure, with executive salaries that are appropriate and a business model that makes money.

The crown corporations in BC operate as provincial monopolies in their respective industries, but this does not mean that taxpayers should fund seemingly unmerited pay raises for their executives. It is ironic that these companies, who must be so transparent with their finances are not managing them in a way that benefits consumers.

There appears to be a lack of accountability among these corporations, and although privatizing them may not be the best solution, some deep thought into how to keep crown corporations in check is sorely needed. Without competition, there are fewer incentives to increase accountability and promote best practices. Public reports have not worked. A re-structuring of the way in which the boards of crown corporations are composed, as well as tougher consequences for mismanagement are required. These companies must answer to consumers/taxpayers and it is obvious that this is not happening under current structuring and legislation.

While we live in a province replete with resources that should translate into huge profits for BC Hydro and one would assume cost effective energy for the local residents; mismanagement and political interference make BC residents pay exorbitant rates. It is just wrong."

Bloated BC Hydro Salaries Point to Mismanagement

Likewise. I've started tweeting my displeasure to @BCHydro. Maybe if someone other than me starts tweeting it will get more attention.

Kamloops Supercharger

Email received today from City of Kamloops

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yes they have. To be located at the Tourism Kamloops site (the lease arrangement is released publicly at Council today). 4 stations to start with . . . .plan is to expand to 6.

Marvin Kwiatkowski, P.Eng.
Development and Engineering Services Director
City of Kamloops
105 Seymour Street
Kamloops, B.C V2C 2C6
P: (250) 828-3473
F: (250) 828-7848
http://www.kamloops.ca

Regards,

Marvin

The Kamloops council meeting was held this afternoon. The agenda and other info can be found at kamloops.civicweb.net. $1,500/yr seems quite reasonable for the owners the SC will attract.

$1400/year sounds even more reasonable. :)

1. "A lease of approximately 1,300 sq. ft. of Parcel A,
    Plan 39481 (1290 Trans Canada Highway West), to TeslaMotors Inc. for a five-year term, at a rental rate of $1,400 peryear, with two 5-year options to renew; "

I wonder how much all the Supercharger costs add up to for Tesla, as compared to what most companies spend on advertising. As a car buyer, I'd rather pay for a charging network than for advertising.

"A lease of approximately 1,300 sq. ft. of Parcel A,
  1. Plan 39481 (1290 Trans Canada Highway West), to TeslaMotors Inc. for a five-year term, at a rental rate of $1,400 peryear, with two 5-year options to renew; "
That should almost be paid by Kamloop's taxpayers to Tesla for bringing the Tesla driving tourists and business people to their town, rather than the other way around.

That should almost be paid by Kamloop's taxpayers to Tesla for bringing the Tesla driving tourists and business people to their town, rather than the other way around.

I can't find it now, but I believe Musk said there were locations in Europe that were paying to have SuperChargers at their sites, and others that were free to Tesla. If I were a strip-mall owner competing with the strip-mall across the street, I think I'd pay to bring in some wealthy captive audience. What's the opportunity cost of 6 parking spots that will be empty most of the time?