Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the current SCH install in hope is only a CS40, and its only available during business hours, Hopefully these are for some SCH CS100's. CS100's would be great for the Roadsters stopping by, and MS's more than 97% into the taper on a busy day in Hope.

Well, I wasn't paying really close attention, but one of the electricians was busy attaching what looked like a supercharger cable (thick and about 6 or 8 ft long) to the end pedestal (covered in black) and those pedestals were definitely the same shape as a standard Tesla Supercharger pedestal (the white and red fairing was only on 1 or 2 of the pedestals when I was there on 12 Sep).

There is a rather good SCH charger (16.5 kW, 70A/237V) about 2 blocks away in front of the Hope Municipal building. It wasn't usable on the 12th, but I expect that it has been fixed since then. Available 24/7.

Last edited:
CS40? You must be thinking about the Kal Tire location. There's a SC90 in front of the muni hall, three blocks from the new Tesla SC site. Gave me 68 amps at 208 V while I ate a nice dinner across the street and watched people ogling the blue Tesla!

My mistake. I did not zoom in enough on the SCH map before clicking. For some reason, the Kai Tire location gets priority. I never guessed that Hope would have 3 SCH setups; the other 2 are CS90's!

How many Supercharger Cabinets are in the enclosure. If 2, then that supports 4 stalls, and I wonder what is under those black covers. If 3, then that supports 6 stalls and those black covers are probably covering 2 more pedestals.

Hmmm...

How many Supercharger Cabinets are in the enclosure. If 2, then that supports 4 stalls, and I wonder what is under those black covers. If 3, then that supports 6 stalls and those black covers are probably covering 2 more pedestals.

If you take a close look at nleggatt's photos from earlier in this thread (around page 3 or 4, I think), you can see that he captures the 'naked' supercharger stands with just the pairs of vertical posts. I count at least five matching pairs, so that suggests at least five SC bays. Since the charging is almost always configured as matching pairs, I think it's pretty safe to assume there will be six supercharging spaces.

If you take a close look at nleggatt's photos from earlier in this thread (around page 3 or 4, I think), you can see that he captures the 'naked' supercharger stands with just the pairs of vertical posts. I count at least five matching pairs, so that suggests at least five SC bays. Since the charging is almost always configured as matching pairs, I think it's pretty safe to assume there will be six supercharging spaces.

Yup! In Western Canada Superchargers - September 11, Hope Pictures, I count 6 Supercharging Pedestals. Two just seem to be wrapped in black for some reason.

Vancouverites drive to Kelowna a lot so Hope gets 6.
Vancouverites drive to Whistler a lot so Squamish gets 6.
Calgarians and Edmontonians drive to each others cities a lot so Red Dear gets 6.
Calgarians drive to Banff a lot so Canmore gets 6.
Calgarians and Vancouverites drive to each others cities not as much so Golden and Revelstoke get 4 each.

Vancouverites drive to Kelowna a lot so Hope gets 6.
Vancouverites drive to Whistler a lot so Squamish gets 6.
Calgarians and Edmontonians drive to each others cities a lot so Red Dear gets 6.
Calgarians drive to Banff a lot so Canmore gets 6.
Calgarians and Vancouverites drive to each others cities not as much so Golden and Revelstoke get 4 each.
Wow, that works pretty well but as I think of it, there is also traffic from Calgary to Golden (skiiing at Kicking Horse) and even Radium & invermere might qualify here (though a bit out of the way). My specific interest in Golden is because I go to Kelowna or thereabouts fairly often and for that matter any points in the BC interior would definitely require Golden as there are long stretches of nothing on either side - scary roads to be guessing about range. Anyway, Golden is currently served by 1 (maybe 2?) SCH charger that is fairly slow so right now I would be happy with 2 bays. Not sure if they can expand easily in the future if the need arose?

I really don't think there's any great need for concern. Tesla does monitor supercharger usage, and they have added charging bays at locations of highest usage. If ever we start to see 4 Teslas charging concurrently at Golden BC frequently enough, there will be more added.

I really don't think there's any great need for concern. Tesla does monitor supercharger usage, and they have added charging bays at locations of highest usage. If ever we start to see 4 Teslas charging concurrently at Golden BC frequently enough, there will be more added.

See Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model for a discussion of capacity without a lot of queueing. For a 4-stall Supercharger, once average usage approaches one stall in use during normal hours, it's time to increase the number of stalls if you don't want queues to form very often.

For a 6-stall Supercharger average use goes up to 2.25 without a lot of queueing, for 8 stalls it goes up to 3.6, etc... In the telecom world, this is called trunking efficiency and it's real. Tesla only puts 4-stall Superchargers in pretty remote, lightly used locations.

Tesla only puts 4-stall Superchargers in pretty remote, lightly used locations.

Such as Mount Shasta, CA? :tongue:

2014-07-29-15-44-34-2H6A7022.jpg

I guess they figured the traffic between northern California and southern Oregon wouldn't be that large, because Mt Shasta and Grants Pass have only 4 stalls, whereas all the other installations along I-5 have 6 or 8 stalls. (Or 10, in the case of Centralia WA)

In theory one could make it from Corning to Grants Pass ( 225 miles ) and skip Mt Shasta. At the very least only spend 10-15 minutes at Mt Shasta to top up so you can make it to Grants Pass ( or vise versa to Corning )
I've driven the route twice , was the only car there both times and wouldn't expect the 4 stalls being used all at the same time for too long. ( that is until next year when TESLA has sold another ?? thousands of Model S and X's )

Last edited:
I guess that is the main thing - if they are relatively easy to expand when usage dictates. I think my point is that golden has more value from a Calgary point of view than just a pit stop on the way to vancouver. It's kind of a moot point right now anyway as there are still only a handful of Teslas in Alberta AFAIk anyway.

I theory one could make it from Corning to Grants Pass ( 225 miles ) and skip Mt Shasta.

It's 225 miles / 361 km plus a trip over the highest elevation pass on I-5, at 4310 ft. There's also an elevation gain of about 750 ft to Grants Pass.

So, yes, during the summer it is no problem, if you start with a full charge. Which takes longer than stopping in the middle.

You could make a better argument for skipping a couple of the other stations as well. e.g. Springfield to Centralia is 200 miles (320 km).

But we digress. :smile:

Canmore to Revelstoke is only 308 km...

Last edited:
It's 225 miles / 361 km plus a trip over the highest elevation pass on I-5, at 4310 ft. There's also an elevation gain of about 750 ft to Grants Pass.

So, yes, during the summer it is no problem, if you start with a full charge. Which takes longer than stopping in the middle.

You could make a better argument for skipping a couple of the other stations as well. e.g. Springfield to Centralia is 200 miles (320 km).

But we digress. :smile:

Canmore to Revelstoke is only 308 km...

And that is too far for all weather driving in the mountains, and not having to wait forever for the last 20% in the taper.

Golden is a perfect spot in between to make this a wonder, Supercharged route!

So, anybody have eyes in Kamloops? Given that Alta Lake Electric is done in Hope - or as far as they can go until BCH gets their act together, it would make sense if they move right into construction in Loops. I am assuming that AL will do the Kamloops site of course, given that Kamloops is just as close (via Lillooet) to their home base of Whistler than Hope.

Unrelated note - the worldwide counter according to supercharge.info clicked over to 199 live stations yesterday with the addition of one in Norway and one in Sweden. Will Hope be #200?

Kamloops Supercharger

Tesla Motor Company is currently working on the plans for building permit submission. We expect them to be submitted within the next week or so. A lease agreement to house the station was worked out last June between the City and Tesla . . . at which time their time line was to be up and running by this fall. I suggest checking back in say two weeks to confirm that their application has been made.
Regards,

Marvin

Marvin Kwiatkowski, P.Eng.
Development and Engineering Services Director
City of Kamloops
105 Seymour Street
Kamloops, B.C V2C 2C6
P: (250) 828-3473
F: (250) 828-7848
www.kamloops.ca

Last edited by a moderator: