Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah it must be stalls !! still a great number so fingers crossed
I don't disagree, more chargers are always better, but 220 more stalls seems to be pretty modest over the next two years. That would be perhaps 20 new locations over that time period. BC has had 40 new locations open over the past three calendar years, plus more on the Prairies. I know of at least 7 new locations in BC and AB that are in various stages of construction right now.

@DblCapCrimpin on X doesn’t know his Tesla models. The car shown on that flatbed is not a Tesla, as all of us here know.

Back to the thread topic…

“220 new sites in Western Canada by December 2025”.

I do not know where the 220 number came from, but obviously there will not be 220 new Supercharger locations by that date. There could be 220 new Supercharger stalls by that date, which could be 12 to 20 new locations over the next 23 months. Which would obviously be great, and much needed.
They definitely could add 220 new superchargers. 2 years is a long time.

It's disappointing that Tesla is no longer updating their SC location map to show coming locations. It was always so fun to hunt for a new SC location when you know which town one is coming in. What a shame.

2022-23 were good years for new SC locations in Western Canada, let's hope lots more come. 200 locations is possible with a company like Tesla, but really those will have to be mostly in BC as AB, SK and MB are trying hard to eliminate the EVolution. So 200 would be a bold move for BC in 2 years.

If anybody at Tesla is reading these threads ... please add upcoming locations back on the map, it was so neat to see roughly where new SC's are planned for.

Reactions: navguy12 and Andy O
It's disappointing that Tesla is no longer updating their SC location map to show coming locations. It was always so fun to hunt for a new SC location when you know which town one is coming in. What a shame.

2022-23 were good years for new SC locations in Western Canada, let's hope lots more come. 200 locations is possible with a company like Tesla, but really those will have to be mostly in BC as AB, SK and MB are trying hard to eliminate the EVolution. So 200 would be a bold move for BC in 2 years.

If anybody at Tesla is reading these threads ... please add upcoming locations back on the map, it was so neat to see roughly where new SC's are planned for.
I doubt that there would be a good business case for 200 more locations in Western Canada at this time (even if it was possible). As you note the strongest area for EV adoption is in BC, in particular the metro areas in the SW part of the province. Elsewhere not so much. It would be great if EV adoption was to grow fast enough to warrant that many more locations but I have my doubts even with non-Tesla's soon to have access to Superchargers. But maybe more chargers in more locations would convince more people to buy an EV.

• Informative
Reactions: NSTM3
I want to point out something I've posted about before: it's not possible to drive a Tesla north of Winnipeg in MB. No chargers (almost), let alone superchargers. I expect the situation is very similar in SK and AB. As things are I have to warn potential Tesla buyers, don't buy one if you want to drive north. More chargers in more locations are certainly needed before Tesla can grow in most of this province.

Living in Metro Vancouver all my life and driving on average 100-150 km's per day in my Tesla, I can tell you that when I drive around an area with a Supercharger, as seen on the map on my car, I see almost everywhere at all times of the day, all SC's in Metro Vancouver are always congested and with wait times and a Grey symbol. Not always, but most of the time, even at 1 am I see some locations have wait times. Nuts.

So looking at the map, I can tell you that we need 20 more SC's right now (today) in Metro Vancouver. 15 more SC's on Vancouver Island soon. 12 in the rest of Southern BC. And if I'm being greedy for us Summer road-trippers, to connect with Yukon and Alaska, we'd need another 5-10 more. Easily 50-55 more locations needed in 2024. 200 would be asking for a miracle, but across the whole Western Canada, it's possible but not likely in anti-EV-lands in AB, SK and MB.

But if we're to add non-Tesla's to the mix with their charging ports in different positions on their cars, they'll take 2 charging spots, they won't be pre-conditioning, etc etc ... then we'll need to double this number. I already rented and drove a Tesla MY in Europe and saw how non-Tesla's charge, it was a gong-show at times, but they were not as busy as they are here.

On another subject. Does anybody have news on the possible North Vancouver SC being constructed?

I think I just located the new under construction Tesla Superchargers in North Vancouver, BC. Located at:

801 Marine Drive, North Vancouver, BC V7P 3K6

I counted 7 vertical conduits on the Fell Avenue side and the Marine Drive side there may be another 9, so possibly 16 chargers in total. Only Tesla builds so many chargers. This must be the speculated location.

Construction company is: SRP Projects

I checked for any Tesla packaging, signage, etc ... but being this is still a rough stage of construction and lots of snowfall the past 2 days, it's hard to say 100% but this is a classic Tesla Supercharger setup. Looks exactly like other Supercharger construction sites.

Can someone start a new thread and add this to the map. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2024-01-17 21.54.00.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.54.00.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 38
  • 2024-01-17 21.54.33.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.54.33.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2024-01-17 21.55.43.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.55.43.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2024-01-17 21.55.58.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.55.58.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2024-01-17 21.56.18.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.56.18.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2024-01-17 21.57.21.jpg
    2024-01-17 21.57.21.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2024-01-17 22.01.15.jpg
    2024-01-17 22.01.15.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 17
City of Vancouver could use some more Supercharger because a lot of people lives in Condo also Burnaby and New Westminster . Surrey Central is suppose to get one looks likes it got cancelled when they put one In King George superstore.So many towers now at Surrey Central.

City of Vancouver could use some more Supercharger because a lot of people lives in Condo also Burnaby and New Westminster . Surrey Central is suppose to get one looks likes it got cancelled when they put one In King George superstore.So many towers now at Surrey Central.

Yes it's shocking that the City of Vancouver with the highest condo concentration and likely the most EV's by number in BC, and only an old V1 Supercharger and V2 Superchargers in expensive pay garages in Downtown, that's sad! Can't believe Tesla cannot build even 1 Supercharger in VanCity in almost 10 years.

I doubt that there would be a good business case for 200 more locations in Western Canada at this time (even if it was possible). As you note the strongest area for EV adoption is in BC, in particular the metro areas in the SW part of the province. Elsewhere not so much. It would be great if EV adoption was to grow fast enough to warrant that many more locations but I have my doubts even with non-Tesla's soon to have access to Superchargers. But maybe more chargers in more locations would convince more people to buy an EV.

@MacNeil you're looking at it backward though. Probably the main sticking point for a lot of people for going EV is the lack of charging infrastructure. Not everyone lives in a place they can conveniently charge at home overnight. Not everyone has free/inexpensive level 2 charging available at their workplace. Not everyone lives near enough to a DC fast charger to conveniently charge when needed (especially if either or both of the previous "not everyone"s is true).

Getting the infrastructure out ahead of adoption will help facilitate a much faster increase in adoption. Like the classic quote: "If you build it, they will come."

I want to point out something I've posted about before: it's not possible to drive a Tesla north of Winnipeg in MB. No chargers (almost), let alone superchargers. I expect the situation is very similar in SK and AB. As things are I have to warn potential Tesla buyers, don't buy one if you want to drive north. More chargers in more locations are certainly needed before Tesla can grow in most of this province.
No possible to drive a Tesla north Of Winnipeg?

Hold my drink: YouTube

@MacNeil you're looking at it backward though. Probably the main sticking point for a lot of people for going EV is the lack of charging infrastructure. Not everyone lives in a place they can conveniently charge at home overnight. Not everyone has free/inexpensive level 2 charging available at their workplace. Not everyone lives near enough to a DC fast charger to conveniently charge when needed (especially if either or both of the previous "not everyone"s is true).

Getting the infrastructure out ahead of adoption will help facilitate a much faster increase in adoption. Like the classic quote: "If you build it, they will come."
I understand your perspective but my views are largely based charging on out-of-town trips last year to the Island, Idaho and Edmonton. I never encountered Superchargers where we had to wait (but it might be different on long weekends). It wasn't uncommon to be the only ones at many Superchargers. Based on an earlier post on this thread, it sounds like the situation is quite different in Greater Vancouver. Tesla will need to balance the needs in urban areas where many don't have home charging against the needs in rural areas where there are many routes with no Superchargers (where future usage levels are hard to predict). It sounds like the most pressing need right now is large urban areas, at least in BC.

I understand your perspective but my views are largely based charging on out-of-town trips last year to the Island, Idaho and Edmonton. I never encountered Superchargers where we had to wait (but it might be different on long weekends). It wasn't uncommon to be the only ones at many Superchargers. Based on an earlier post on this thread, it sounds like the situation is quite different in Greater Vancouver. Tesla will need to balance the needs in urban areas where many don't have home charging against the needs in rural areas where there are many routes with no Superchargers (where future usage levels are hard to predict). It sounds like the most pressing need right now is large urban areas, at least in BC.
The Chicago debacle this week will most certainly get them focused on urban areas, which is unfortunate for you and me. I'd definitely much rather see them open up rural routes like say Northern BC and the route(s?) to Alaska. I think they've actually done a pretty decent job in the Prairies. It'll be a long time before we can make stress free drives to places like Fort Mac and Flin Flon :) And in the case of the US, I'd like to see them fill in the glaring holes in the map that have been sitting there for years now.

Not entirely sure this is new information but came across a map of existing and planned EV charging sites funded by Natural Resources Canada: Open Maps Data Viewer

It has sites shown all across Canada but this post is focused on Central and Northern BC.

It shows some interesting plans involving BC Hydro for EV chargers the Alaska Highway north of Fort St John (Wonowon, Prophet River and Toad River) and along the Cassiar Highway (Dease Lake and Jade City). Mostly 50-100kW chargers, generally with 3 charging ports at each location.

Another highway corridor with planned chargers is Hwy 20 from Williams Lake west to Bella Coola with BC Hydro sites planned for Chilanko Forks, Anahim Lake and Bella Coola.

I didn't notice any time frames for construction of these sites.

• Informative
Reactions: NSTM3 and Tectonic