Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Kamloops Visitor Centre this morning and no construction activity has started yet. No idea whether all the permits have been issued.

Thanks.
I just called the Sheraton Red Deer. Talked with a manager there, she confirmed that they are the location for a Tesla Supercharger. She's hoping that construction will start "any day now" and that it will "be up before the snow flies".:wink:
The Supercharger will be on the Gaetz Avenue side of the parking lot.

Last edited:
Canmore Supercharger

Good afternoon,

Construction for the Tesla Supercharger station has not yet commenced. The permit for construction is posted so hopefully construction will begin soon.

I will let you know when construction starts so you can plan accordingly.

Regards,
Nicole
Front Desk Agent
Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn

That's ironic... I went to a wedding in Vernon on Sept. 27 but had to leave the Tesla at home and go in my wife's BMW because BC Hydro as a Crown Corporation has no accountability to taxpayers, and is a bloated bureaucracy more concerned about their own welfare than serving the public. It makes no sense why we give them a monopoly with no accountability at all. That's why Brian got the telephone run around with no answer. There are no answers when it comes to BC Hydro. They just hold their middle finger up to us taxpayers and ratepayers.

Here's a good summary of what we are dealing with in BC:

"BC Hydro is on track to lose billions this year. British Columbians paid $676 million for IPP power last year, more than twice the price of imported electirity at that time.

The recent proposed hikes to electricity rates in British Columbia have brought to light severe mismanagement issues on the part of BC Hydro. The crown corporation’s published salaries show that 45%, or over 2,600 of its employees, currently make six figures, with 10% making over $150,000.

Executives have seen extremely large pay increases, with president Charles Reid making 7.7% more than last year, for example. Furthermore, bonuses as high as $90,000 for higher-ups are raising serious questions. These figures are especially troubling when one considers BC Hydro’s current financial situation. On top of the rate hikes (which are proposed at 26% over the next three years!!), the corporation is deep in debt and mismanaging money meant for new infrastructure. Questionable charges such as a $35 fee in order to not have a smart meter installed at one’s home point to poor use of these funding allocations.

The most troubling thing about these issues is the fact that consumers are being expected to shoulder the burden of BC Hydro’s financial mismanagement. The pay raises for executives, as well as sky-high salaries for a large portion of other employees are being translated into higher costs for customers, and BC Hydro’s monopoly on electricity in the province does not provide them with another viable alternative.

This highlights the main problem with the structuring of crown corporations in BC. The lack of accountability on the part of executives leaves taxpayers on the hook. In fact, a public report issued two years ago slammed BC Hydro for their corporate structure, sky-high executive pay, and massive bonuses. Clearly, there has been little done to remedy the problems that plague the corporation’s finances since this report, and instead, Hydro has resorted to rate increases and excuses. They argue that high salaries are necessary in order to keep talented executives from moving into the private sector, and that the the need for competitive wages coupled with overtime required for on-the-ground employees in the instance of storm-related repairs explains their high earnings. The problem with this assertion is that BC Hydro is increasing executive salaries at an annual rate far greater than inflation, and doing little to cut costs elsewhere.

The fact that the financial consequences of this mismanagement are being passed on to consumers signals a need for a re-evaluation of how the corporation is run. Further than that, it should prompt a hard look at all of the province’s crown corporations. BC Ferries, for example, pays out executive bonuses equally as outlandish as Hydro’s, and they are likewise in debt. Anyone who examines Washington State's Ferry Corporation would see a much more cost effective management structure, with executive salaries that are appropriate and a business model that makes money.

The crown corporations in BC operate as provincial monopolies in their respective industries, but this does not mean that taxpayers should fund seemingly unmerited pay raises for their executives. It is ironic that these companies, who must be so transparent with their finances are not managing them in a way that benefits consumers.

There appears to be a lack of accountability among these corporations, and although privatizing them may not be the best solution, some deep thought into how to keep crown corporations in check is sorely needed. Without competition, there are fewer incentives to increase accountability and promote best practices. Public reports have not worked. A re-structuring of the way in which the boards of crown corporations are composed, as well as tougher consequences for mismanagement are required. These companies must answer to consumers/taxpayers and it is obvious that this is not happening under current structuring and legislation.

While we live in a province replete with resources that should translate into huge profits for BC Hydro and one would assume cost effective energy for the local residents; mismanagement and political interference make BC residents pay exorbitant rates. It is just wrong."

I agree with everything said except for the part about IPPs. BC Hydro has done an amazing job in casually disseminating incorrect information about IPP power cost. I say amazing because of the way in which they are able to do this without seemingly affecting their 'partnership' relationship with IPPs. That is, IPPs are a little caught in a corner...as they need BC Hydro to stay alive. The unfortunate result is that the public now believe that IPP power is expensive. The fact is, IPP power is power that is built today, at today's costs. Any...I'll repeat...any power plant built today will have power produced that requires prices that are much higher than the operational costs that BC Hydro produces power for from dams that were built and paid for decades ago (at huge neglected environmental costs, not to mention First Nations accommodation).

BC Hydro disseminates this information because it is trying to build Site C at a cost of $7.9 Billion, when IPP industry has been shown to be able to build the equivalent in capacity and energy for about $1 Billion dollars less. Not to mention that IPPs take on all the risk associated with their projects with no debt assumed by BC Hydro (ratepayers and taxpayers). BC Hydro has shown time and again that cost overruns weigh heavy on its debt. The Northwest Transmission line is a classic example of this (original cost: $404 million, actual: $ 736 million). If approved, I suspect Site C will end up costing BC Hydro over $13 billion. It's unfortunate that there won't be any accountability there, and we will have to hold that debt once again.

Yes, power is less expensive on the open market south of the border, but it is unreliable and is effectively brown power (coal and gas fired). BC Hydro already imports this power at night, allowing its reservoirs to fill up, so that it can sell higher priced power during the day south of the border. This arbitrage only works when BC gets a higher than average rain fall in a given year. Unfortunately with climate change, BC has been a net importer of electricity due to low average water over the last few years. Arbitrage may seem like a good thing (short term), but buying brown power from the south only supports job creation outside the province and doesn't fuel economies in rural BC. It also supports the product of brown power. And, while I may not know for sure, I suspect most Tesla owners would support the product of clean, renewable electrons (wind, solar, run of river).

IPP power is cost effective and removes the risk away from ratepayers / taxpayers to the developer. It supports rural BC economies, is distributed and won't flood 80 kms of arable land!

Let's be a little more optimistic, BC Hydro will get their **** together and be done by Nov. 1. I may be biased because I'm traveling down to Vernon on the 1st but oh well.

BC Hydro's fecal integrity does not seem to have reached the required level yet.

So Canuck has wagered the week starting Nov 10, I said the week starting Nov 24, Morristhecat said the first week of December. The fabulous grand prize (as always, a free charging session at the Supercharger) is still up for grabs.

Checked in at the Hope site today, no evidence of acivity on he transformer pad. Grrrrrr.
Called Best Western Revelstoke – No construction activity
Called Hotel in Canmore – No construction activity
Called Hotel in Red Deer – No construction activity
Golden BC – No construction activity. My contact there would only say that the location will be on the Trans Canada in town.

Compare this to Montana, where Billings went live July 23, 2014 (after Squamish) and they have 4 SCs live and 2 in construction.

Last edited:
Let's start with "because quite a few owners have paid, upfront, for supercharger access on the promise that superchargers would exist".

I think you missed my point. Why spend tons of money and resources building charging stations, that wont be connected for months and months, when you have other regions that are missing super chargers and the local utils are connecting right away. An un-connected SC still doesn't help you.

I think you missed my point. Why spend tons of money and resources building charging stations, that wont be connected for months and months, when you have other regions that are missing super chargers and the local utils are connecting right away. An un-connected SC still doesn't help you.
No, I'm just grumpy.... I have to do another trip to the coast in the next week and it's looking like it will be the 3rd trip since the electrical contractors finished up 2 months ago, and there is still no supercharging.

There is a small crew shack with a Tesla sign on it at the Holiday Inn parking lot in Revelstoke. It is not plugged in or operational and there is no construction activity anywhere on the parking lot. It is better news than nothing.

Why would Tesla start construction when Hydro is so slow. Doesn't seem like a very business friendly place so makes sense they would focus their efforts in areas where they can move things quickly
I suppose it's a question of building the cart before getting the horse. The SC infrastructure needs to be built and inspected before the transformer shows up. It's a matter of timing and approvals. Since the SC can be built much quicker that the Utility companies react , this is probably the reason none of the other sites have started construction. For Hope there was hope but it will come eventually so at least its not hopeless. Just don't know when.:mad: