Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went through Red Deer today on my way to Edmonton, and then checkout out the Sheraton on Gaetz Avenue where the Tesla Super Charger might be going according to previous posts. It's definitely a great spot, there is a parking lot across a side street from the hotel, with plenty of room to carve out for a super charger location.

Hopi to see this build start soon too!

Alternative story.... "In Hope, BC, an up and coming installation artist, Telsa, has revealed his latest work. An up-dated, down-to-earth, interpretation of Stanley Kubrick's 1968 cult film 2001, A Space Odyssey, the artist has erected 6 monoliths whose purpose remains uncertain...."

View attachment 63426

I love it.

Well, I love the comment, not so crazy about the delay at Hope.

Hi, I live in Kamloops not far from visitor center and building permit for Supercharger was issued Nov 7, 14 and construction appears to be starting - yeah. I ordered a 85D for delivery in March after I got wind of the Supercharger going in...

When there is clear evidence of construction, pleas take and post photos. Many of us could use some cheering up after all the delays!!

Thanks, welcome to the community, and congrats on the 85D order!

I can list a lot of places I want to see superchargers. Kelowna and Radium/Invermere are 2 of my first choices. Also Vancouver Island (Nanaimo?), Jasper, Something south of Calgary to allow travel to Lethbridge, and then the whole rest of the Trans Canada highway...

I agree. I was hoping that some of those routes would be covered by Spring 2016, which at the pace they're becoming live would mean that they would have to be announced very soon. I would love to see one in Osoyoos as well.

Kelowna is about 200 km south of both Kamloops and Revelstoke. It also happens to be about 200 km north of Omak, WA. Put superchargers in/around Kelowna and Omak and you have connected Canadians to the I90 supercharger route. Omak/Brewster also happens to be at the east end of the North Cascade highway, one of the nicest drives in the Pacific Northwest. And the Burlington supercharger is 290 kw away at the west end of that route.

Another north-south connection between Golden or Canmore and Coeur d'Alene could be made with superchargers in Radium and around Cranbrook. A supercharger in Cranbrook would also get you into Kalispell and on down to Missoula.

Improper land use designation has been rumoured to be the hold up, and while that may very well be the case, Tesla Motors Inc has remained silent for 2 months. Surely Telsa would know what the problem is and I wonder why they are unwilling to share that information.
My grapevine was a tesla grapevine but you're right that there has been nothing official. I wonder if they are avoiding any public criticism of the town that might ruffle feathers.

Today I spoke to Tom Misumi with the District of Hope. He is in charge of Zoning. He says there are no zoning or municipal issues he is aware of that would prevent BC Hydro from electrifying the site. He says there are other construction projects underway in Hope, where the developers are also waiting for electricity, and they are very upset as Hydro is stonewalling them as well. BC HYDRO!:cursing:
So it isn't anything to do with the District.

My grapevine was a tesla grapevine but you're right that there has been nothing official. I wonder if they are avoiding any public criticism of the town that might ruffle feathers.
Well, I've been out wandering around in another block of the vineyard and pulling a few vines (it's cold enough to pick for ice wine), and I've been told, unequivocally, that it is not Tesla that is causing the delay. They completed their part of the Hope Supercharge over a month ago and are now waiting on BC Hydro to connect the supercharger to the grid before Tesla returns to commission it. They (Telsa) don't know what is holding up BC Hydro, only that Tesla is waiting on BC Hydro.

Kam SC Construc.jpg
[QUOTTaken a couple days agoE=AlbertaNetZero;812292]Hi and welcome,
Is it possible to post some pics of construction.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pix @Hewey. Hmm, if they open Kamloops up first, how will we get to the opening party with Hope not energized? I hope it doesn't take another 2-3 months to energize.
Well there are other chargers in Hope, just not fast ones I understand, since I don't have my Model S I have no practical knowledge of the charging networks but I assume we can charge at most/all?of the other chargers but we will need to have lots of time, am I right on that?

Well there are other chargers in Hope, just not fast ones I understand, since I don't have my Model S I have no practical knowledge of the charging networks but I assume we can charge at most/all?of the other chargers but we will need to have lots of time, am I right on that?

Correct. All the locations earmarked for Supercharger construction have existing level 2 charging. However, those often require hours for charging versus only minutes for a Supercharger.

- - - Updated - - -

That pic came from the Google "Street View." Tell Google to get their "Street View" car out in your neighborhood again, soon for some better color!

Yes, Google definitely needs to put some money into their mapping division. Their satellite map views are dated as far back as 2009. More often than not when I go to streetview a city address I'm greeted with an empty field!

There are a (small) handful of level 2 chargers in Hope. One is 16 kW, while the others are 6 kW. If I were to drive down from Kelowna tomorrow, I would have to charge for 5 hours at the 16 kW charger to completely fill an 85 kWh battery from empty (which it would be after the drive down at this time of year). The 6 kW chargers would need overnight to charge the vehicle. All fine if you are the only electric vehicle on the and can fit a multi hour charge into your timetable, but if you were to show up at the same time as me, one of us would have to wait, and wait, and wait....

Once the supercharger is running it will be able to fully charge 6 vehicles in just over an hour.

High speed charging infrastructure is more important than any specific car model if our society is to ever switch over to electric vehicles.

There are a (small) handful of level 2 chargers in Hope. One is 16 kW, while the others are 6 kW.

...and keep in mind that unless you paid extra to have a second charger installed in the car, the maximum you'll get out of that 16 kW EVSE is more like 8 kW (you'll be limited to 40A, so if the charger is 200V under load that's 200*40 = 8000 W). In other words, 10 hours instead of 5.

Level 2 chargers are only useful for overnight charging, or for times when you're desperate. Still, better that than the alternative of plugging in to 110V and waiting a week.