Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG! I don't believe it! Incredible...

A couple of weeks too late for me to win the bet, and I thought I was being pessimistic. :) But yay, it's open! Who will be the first to post pictures of their car charging there?

- - - Updated - - -

So ... just for fun/speculation/rumour ... latest on supercharge.info shows 189 superchargers live, 14 in construction as of today. That means in the next 2-3 weeks we'll pass the 200 worldwide mark.

Squamish was #100 in North America, will another Canadian site be #200 worldwide? (ie., Hope?)

Also of interest, the first two superchargers went live in Japan today.

Ah, September 2014, back when there were fewer than 200 Superchargers world-wide. Here in modern times - 3 months later - there's almost 300.

RED DEER CONSTRUCTION :Interesting choice of contractors.
Why? Something wrong?
Just a little unusual combination of companies

Home builder from Moosejaw, Saskatchewan
IT company from Alaska
Electrical contractor from Canmore

No local contractors from Red Deer.
Makes one wonder how TESLA contracts their work.
This is the first time I've seen the TESLA logo on a project sign, also.

However, to have realistic distances between Superchargers, they need to be no more than 133 miles apart. Canmore to Butte is 530 miles. If you could space the Supercharger sites perfectly, that would require 3 Superchargers, and in reality, you would probably need 4. I still think that it's worth 4 Superchargers to complete the loop, and not leave a peninsula.
On the 2015 Supercharger map, it appears there are plans for an SC site in the vicinity of Great Falls, MT. From Great Falls to Calgary the distance is about 320 miles / 515 km, so it does seem likely that Tesla will fill this gap in the medium term. I agree that it would be best if drivers from the south can continue on to the Canadian Rockies (as my family has done) or to Edmonton on Superchargers, without having to stop and charge at a hotel or campground around Calgary. When this is factored in, and if you count the projected SC in Great Falls, then 3-4 Superchargers does seem right.

I hope you guys are correct in your predictions, but I will be the pessimist here. I'll expect it to be hooked up first week of December. Hopefully I am wrong. Unfortunately it will be harder to coordinate an opening party with the weather now.

Hey - you were close - it (Hope BC Supercharger) opened on December 9th, 2014! Tesla Staff have recently told me they are working as fast as they can to get the route to Calgary and Edmonton up and running, and Superchargers shows 5 stations under construction north of Hope, BC!

I see Tesla Added Hope, BC as live yesterday, so I added a Tesla HPWC Model S listing for it today - Hope Supercharger | Hope, BC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone heard anything new about the possibility of a SC in the Kelowna area? I have a friend that would buy a Model X if he could drive to Kelowna and back the same day. He makes the trip once a week and does 50k km/yr, but the lack of SCs is the deal breaker. He has driven my Model S and loves it. I guess the lost sales are not a huge incentive for Tesla as long as they are supply constrained.
The Best Bet for that run - would be the Hope SC, followed by a Top Up at the Merritt Visitor Info Centre DCQC (If he gets the Adapter for CHAdeMO to SC), then take 97C over to Kelowna.

Of course - Tesla invites suggestions for site location, and also businesses that would like to host SC Sites! Suggest a site here: http://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/supercharging/ - and there is always the other option: For general questions or comments,
send an email to [email protected]

I'm so excited about this, I took a photo for posterity!

Hope_Squamish.jpg

Red Deer Supercharger is being worked on. On my drive to EDM this morning, I checked out the work going on, it's happening! It was 3C there today and hopefully it holds so they can make lots of progress.

I'll be a regular user at that charger!

Canadian Tesla SC Solution Idea

I'm just saying that Tesla is neither a public utility nor a charity. I don't expect them to install superchargers where it does not make economic sense to them. The value proposition of owning a Tesla in Saskatoon is different from that of LA and will be for a long time to come. I understand how much a supercharger can benefit those nearby, but intensity of desire is not a business case.

What if - This happened: Tesla did Mini SC Stations - in Test Areas, with just a Pair (A/B) at a sit with Expand-ability designed in for up to 6 Heads (3 X A/B)?
Not hard to put in a couple Model S HPWC units at the same site as well! Makes for a double bonus points for buyers, as some might not have the option of the Supercharger addition, and the HPWC units are still inviting!

Would that still cost the same for Hardware & Power Feeds? Would it still be the same costs for Permits, paperwork, etc? Would it not 'Put them on the Map' so as to attract more buyers in otherwise 'thin ownership' areas? Could it be done for under $50,000? That could make the case - if such a price could be met or below, to install smaller capacity Sites in thinner ownership areas!

Per Vancouver Island ideas: Victoria to Nanaimo is just about 70 miles. Nanaimo to Port Alberni is just about 53 Miles. Port Alberni to Tofino is about 78 Miles. Port Alberni to Campbell River is about 93 Miles. Campbell River to Port Hardy is about 145 Miles. If we Dropped Port Alberni - the Distance from Nanaimo to Tofino is about 129 Miles. From Tofino to Campbell River is about 168 miles. Also Dropping Nanaimo give a distance to Tofino of 197 Miles, and from Tofino to Campbell River of (still) 168 miles. Switching out Nanaimo for Parksville, gives a Distance from Victoria to Parksville at about 93 miles, and from Parksville to Tofino of just 107 Miles! Adding in a site at Courtney, gives a distance from Tofino at just about 140 Miles! Dropping Campbell River - and changing that to
Sayward Junction Gas & Convenience right on the highway - gives just about 77 Miles from Courtney to there, and from there to Port Hardy only about 105 Miles!

Taking this to a logical - Closest Charger to Closest Charger route - no SC is over about 105 miles from the last - and with just 2 Superchargers at each site, would need only 12 heads in total for the whole island, and do it well for some time - at least until Model X is well under way, and Model 3 is coming out and delivering (to Vancouver Island Owners)! See Google Map to review - http://goo.gl/maps/qgiaB

From the above Mentioned Courtney, BC - a Ferry takes you over to the Mainland at Powell River BC. From there to Gibsons is just about 78 Miles, and the Squamish SC is just 45 miles from there! Adding two SC sites at these two area, each with just 2 SC Heads (A/B) would pretty much complete the Vancouver Island Driving / Tourist Loop argument/needs! In Summary - Vancouver Island + Across the water on the North side - could be dealt a big boost with a total of just 16 Supercharge Heads at 2 per site! Next Question - How many Model S Deliveries are needed to fund this 16 Head Site Collection? (At an estimated value of $2,000 Per SC enabled Model S.)

As to Canada - quite some time ago I sent them a Google Map Listing of suggested sites with stops from Calgary to Toronto, and since Europe is now showing out past 2015 - and to 2016, maybe when Tesla has a better grip on things - they will show a plan for out to 2016 in North America including Canada and the Trans Canada Highway route 'penciled in', and - if we get lucky - maybe a Hope to Prince Rupert Route - starting with a Site in Cache Creek - that would give the circle route from Squamish, to Hope, to Lytton, to Cache Creek to Lillooet to Pemberton, to Squamish as a nice 423 mile day trip! It is 135 miles from Squamish to Hope, but only 120 miles from Hope to Cache Creek! Cache Creek back to Squamish via 99 takes you vial Lillooet (with a SCH Charger) and Pemberton, with a few Chargers, and Whistler - with a good selection of Chargers including the Sun Country CS-90! See Map - http://goo.gl/maps/6WUeX

Returning to the Northward trip - adding a couple SC heads at Williams lake puts them just about 127 miles from Cache Creek. Moving Straight up to Prince George from there is about 149 miles, and adding a couple Model S HPWC's in Quesnel - would split that into a couple legs at about 74-75 miles each! Vanderhoof is just about 62 miles away to the west and would suit the addition of a Model S HPWC - like in Quesnel, and a SC could be put in Burns Lake, BC which is just about another 80 miles or about 142 miles from Prince George! From Burns Lake to next stop at Houston BC - another 50 miles - and a good site for a Model S HPWC; followed by one more in Smithers, BC which is just another 40 miles; to a SC sited in Terrace, which is just about 127 miles further! Prince Rupert is just another 90 miles, and could be either a site for a micro SC station with just 2 heads, or a couple Model S HPWC units well sited! See Trip from Hope, BC here - http://goo.gl/maps/t0XoJ

Heading to Alaska from Prince George - putting in a couple Model S HPWC units at McLeod Lake Post Office, just about 85 miles from Prince George, and a 2-Head SC at Chetwynd, BC - some 102 Miles further would get a good start on the way to Dawson Creek, BC - about another 68 miles up, and the start of the AlCan - The Alaska Canadian Highway! Also a Good Spot for a couple Model S HPWC units here and next up - about 47 miles away in Fort St. John, BC! Proceeding North - The Apparently nothingness yields to the Buckinghorse River Lodge, about a further 127 miles North from Fort St. John, or nearby - Northgate Industries Ltd. Both sites offer potential for a 2 headed Mini Supercharger site - as one likely has the power, but the other has the amenities. Next City is Fort Nelson, BC, another 110 miles up the road - a Good Spot for a couple Model S HPWC units! Adding in a couple Model S HPWC units at Alaska Hwy & Mile 98 Rd - splits the run into 52 miles from Fort St. John, and about 75 Miles to Buckinghorse River Lodge, Since this road is not a freeway - it could be a good back up support for trips like this. Alaska Hwy/BC-97 N - Dawson Creek, BC to Fort Nelson, BC = http://goo.gl/maps/Uz6if

This Map covers from Hope to Fort Nelson, BC - http://goo.gl/maps/HfDn3 and it would be nice to see Hope to Prince Rupert and Prince George to Fort Nelson in the Tesla Super Charger Map for the 2015 Time Frame!

Alaska Highway (97) continues to the West and the Laird Highway (77) cuts north, just about 18 miles west of Fort Nelson, BC. Watson Lake - YT is about 320 Miles away up Highway 97! Departing Fort Nelson, Tetsa River Lodge is about 70 miles away, is a year-round facility with fuel, camping/RV spots and might be amenable for an EV Charging Installation like a SCH 100 or a Tesla HPWC, or two. After Crossing Racing River - you next come to Toad River Lodge, about another 47 miles along. About 2/3rds the way up Muncho Lake - we find Northern Rockies Lodge - some 38 miles past Toad River Lodge - voted 'The Best Place to Stay on the Alaska Highway' which also has 30 Amp RV Spots but might as well be willing to add some Regular EV Charging Station or a Tesla HPWC for the Model S. It's website also provides a number of good and important links on road conditions and more. About another 35 miles takes us to Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park - Located at kilometer 765 of the Alaska Highway, and is host to the second largest hot spring in Canada! Another 130 Miles up the Alaska Highway - and we are in Watson Lake, YT! (I did not find much evidence of activity, Power, or habitation between these last two points! Here is the Map Link for these points - From Fort Nelson, BC, to Watson Lake, YT: http://goo.gl/maps/pTJyC

Of course - there are numerous elements to deal with on this more northern section, not the least of which might be power constraints, but installing Tesla HPWC's for the Model S would deal a lot with the power need, and still be an attraction for Tesla Owners in the area to have some usability!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey hey, now. What about us Americans who want to traverse Canada in our Teslas? We, too, feel we have a right to be indignant that Tesla hasn't even published a map showing that they intend to connect the two sides of your country together. ;-)
*I mostly mean they should follow the TransCanadian highway for locating SCs. There are vast expanses in Canada where it doesn't make sense to build SCs because the population density is too low.

And - I would ask - is it not possible to build a station site with just TWO Heads on the Supercharger - with one feed, and make it a planned for expansion to 4 heads and later 6 heads, should the need warrant it? Could that not alleviate much of the cost of a sites build out, and allow Sites to be placed at reasonable distances - and radiate out from current targets at a steady rate of 1 station site build a month?

Could they also add a Tesla Model S HPWC or two at each such site for a very low cost - both for hardware and for power feeds? That would be like 'Overflow charging if the two SC heads got busy, and would be like - available for owners who bought a 60 without SC Access configured!

And - I would ask - is it not possible to build a station site with just TWO Heads on the Supercharger - with one feed, and make it a planned for expansion to 4 heads and later 6 heads, should the need warrant it? Could that not alleviate much of the cost of a sites build out, and allow Sites to be placed at reasonable distances

I think Cottonwood the Magnificent can address this in more detail, but the short answer I think is: no.

There is no decrease in overhead (permitting, setting up a construction site, dealing with land owners and utilities etc.) putting in a two-station supercharger as opposed to a 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. Especially if you want to leave space in an equipment enclosure to add more superchargers later.

I think Cottonwood the Magnificent can address this in more detail, but the short answer I think is: no.

There is no decrease in overhead (permitting, setting up a construction site, dealing with land owners and utilities etc.) putting in a two-station supercharger as opposed to a 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. Especially if you want to leave space in an equipment enclosure to add more superchargers later.

Thanks for the compliment!

I think that you are correct.

Let's take a stab at the numbers.

First the cost of a Supercharger Cabinet to serve two charging stalls. All of this is in $US. A Supercharging Cabinet contains 12 charging modules, and Tesla charges $1,500 retail for the second module in a car. Let's use that 12*$1,500=$12,000. Tesla gets these "wholesale", but farms out the cabinet construction. Let's use $15k for the cost of a cabinet. There is also incremental conduit, setting of pedestals, etc, so lets use $20k for the incremental cost of a Supercharger Cabinet and two Charging Pedestals.

A round number cost for an 8-stall Supercharger Site is $200k. We just guesstimated that the cost of 2 stalls installed is $20k. That means the base cost of a Supercharger Site is $120k. In very simple terms, this means 2 stalls cost $140k, 4 stalls cost $160k, 6 stalls cost $180k, etc. You can see why it is pretty easy to set 4 stalls as the minimum, but there is an even more important issues, reliability and efficiency.

I have heard numerous cases of a single Supercharger Cabinet being down at a Supercharger Site. With 2 cabinets, there is a spare. Given how much we rely on these sites in pretty remote locations, having a spare Cabinet is very good insurance. A second reason is that because of queueing (Erlang) efficiency, 4 stalls have about 5 times the capacity as 2 stalls. That is a big increase in serving capacity for a small delta in cost.

This doesn't seem to be the case in France, where all of the 16 current sites have only 2 stalls. Does anyone know what is different there?

I went back to the Red Deer Sheraton site a couple of days ago. The electrical contractors were on site.

They say the immediate construction will give 4 charging stalls with 2 more being roughed in. The main electrical line will be rated as 600V + 1600 Amps (quite impressive). They expect it to be up and running in 2015.

This doesn't seem to be the case in France, where all of the 16 current sites have only 2 stalls. Does anyone know what is different there?

Those are all temporary, "mobile" Superchargers, put in without permits, etc. They require a 225Amp, 480 Volt, 3-phase feed from some local infrastructure, but that is it. These were all put in as a stop gap because of the difficulty in getting French approvals. The plan when they get through the French version of planning approval, is to install larger, permanent sites.