Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419658034.869446.jpg

For comparison

Looks fairly close to me. Hope at 40.8kW and Kamloops at 38.2kW at the 221km mark.

Exactly. For anyone unclear on this, power = voltage * current. So, 341 V * 112 A = 38192 W, or 38.2 kW. The fact that the "km/h" rate shows as 364 at Kamloops vs 219 km/h for roughly the same power at Hope is a reflection of the fact that the figure is calculated as a running average. If you use the "km/h" rate for a comparison you may draw some incorrect conclusions.

I really wish Tesla hadn't done this. They are confusing an instantaneous readout with a running average. The instantaneous "km/h" reading for 38.2 kW, assuming "rated range" which is something like 190 Wh/km, would be 201 km/h. (Watts divided by Wh/km gives km/h). The reason it shows 364 I think is that it's averaging over the past 10 minutes or so, when the charging rate was higher. By contrast nleggatt's charge in Hope has just started, so it's showing much closer to the current actual charging rate.

So, again, don't make any comparisons by looking at the "km/hr" charging rate shown. If you want to see the instantaneous power, go to "units" and select "energy" instead of "distance" (if I remember correctly - I'm not in the car right now!)

So after driving from abbotsford to silver star via kamloops on a 60, I think we really really need to let tesla know a sc in merrit is a must ASAP. It is not possible in my opinion to drive from hope with a full charge (nvm that getting 100% takes a long time) to kamloops over the connectors in the winter driving the new speed limits

I left hope with 287km and got to lam loops with 3km. Avg speed was 100ish km/hour and avg temp was -7.

If there was a sc in merrit you could spend 20 minutes in hope to collect 150-200 km then each of your next charges are at max speed rather than being forced to wait an extra hour to collect the needed extra 100km!

I had invited my dad to drive with me, thank goodness he didn't as this would not be a good example of a non compromise trip. It took me 7.5 hours to do a normal 4 hour trip. Almost worth the gas money.

So after driving from abbotsford to silver star via kamloops on a 60, I think we really really need to let tesla know a sc in merrit is a must ASAP. It is not possible in my opinion to drive from hope with a full charge (nvm that getting 100% takes a long time) to kamloops over the connectors in the winter driving the new speed limits

I left hope with 287km and got to lam loops with 3km. Avg speed was 100ish km/hour and avg temp was -7.

If there was a sc in merrit you could spend 20 minutes in hope to collect 150-200 km then each of your next charges are at max speed rather than being forced to wait an extra hour to collect the needed extra 100km!

I had invited my dad to drive with me, thank goodness he didn't as this would not be a good example of a non compromise trip. It took me 7.5 hours to do a normal 4 hour trip. Almost worth the gas money.
I won't have thought it would take an extra hour to get 100 km. I've used the SCs on the US west coast and never waited more than 45 minutes to basically get a full charge from near empty. (400 km) Mind you it wasn't that cold.
There is a 300 meter climb from Hope to Kamloops also but with a 285km range to go 203km, that's a 29% loss. Were the roads clear driving ?

Last edited:
I drove thru Canmore yesterday and the guys were working. When I spoke to one of the workers he mentioned there was still a push to open before the New Year. He didn't think it would happen. But there is progress, the four chargers are on their pads. The additional boxes are on the pads. As I was leaving, I noticed the electrical connection has not been made.

Canmore SC 1.JPG
Canmore SC 2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

When I was speaking with the worker in Canmore, he mentioned that the Golden Super Charger has been commissioned. They brought in a generator to power it up to complete the tests. Once BC Hydro completes the hookup, it will be online.

Tesla has stated to me that they are looking at Merritt. They are pretty good at reassessing plans in the mountains-- just look at what they did in Montana.

That said, even now, it probably would have been more efficient (and certainly safer) to duck into Merritt and use the Sun Country Highway CS-90 there, in lieu of charging above 95% in Hope. As a rule of thumb, switch your charging rate display to "energy" and watch when the real-time number falls below the rate available at the next charger. Since the Merritt SCH station offers about 15 kW, that would be faster than eking out the last few percent in Hope. It would also dramatically improve your peace of mind. :wink:

This said by the first person to drive that route in a Roadster in Sept. 2012 (all the way to Iowa via Manitoba and back). :smile:

On a related note, has anyone tried using the HPWCs in the area? They are all listed as being for hotel guests only.

Is this truly the case? Will they deny you a charge if you're just passing through?​

I have used three so far. One is at Hotel Max in Seattle, which I recommend as an overnight spot if you need it. They do only allow guests there AFAIK.

Another is the Inn at Abeja, outside of Walla Walla, WA. That one we were able to use as a daytime stop-over, but only by calling ahead and asking pretty please.

On a recent trip to California, I stayed overnight at a delightful cottage B&B in Mendocino, CA called the Sea Rock Inn. The two HPWC's there are in dedicated parking spots for individual cottages, so calling ahead and getting assigned to them is essential.

It seems clear that Tesla is encouraging these installations as "destination charging" and probably talks the hotels into the installation cost by even recommending that they list them "for guests only". At hotels, that is a fair policy. Also, note that some of them at hotels are "turned down" to 40-64A, which is fine for overnight, but less so for midday stops.

Ran out of charge tonight and needed a flat bed. Left kamloops for home with 271 and ran out of charge 5 km from hope sc

Temperature was -20 over the pass

I did 125 km/h from kamloops to merrit and left merrit with 140km. Avg speed over coq was 100km. Did 120 until the top of Larson hill then started slowing down until 80 on the far side of the coquihalla.

$200 tow

Ran out of charge tonight and needed a flat bed. Left kamloops for home with 271 and ran out of charge 5 km from hope sc

I did 125 km/h from kamloops to merrit and left merrit with 140km. Avg speed over coq was 100km. Did 120 until the top of Larson hill then started slowing down until 80 on the far side of the coquihalla.

$200 tow

Sorry to see you get towed. I'm the guy you saw at the Hope SC tonight. My wife was biting her nails over our remaining range just as we passed you getting loaded up on the flatbed. What a place to run out of juice -- you were about 0.5km to the top of the last hill before Hope!

We left Kelowna with 410km and had about 30km remaining at Hope. Car had been sitting out in -10C all day unplugged and starting out cold wasn't the best idea -- regen was disabled for the first 40km while the battery warmed up. We took Coldwater road to skip the hill out of Merritt and I think we might have ended up parked right behind you if we hadn't.

Who'd you call for the tow? I might add them to my contacts for future reference.

Definitely a ballsy trip in a 60... I hope they put an SC in Merritt sooner than later.

Sorry to hear too. It is a cold one tonight (-16) here in the mountains by Merritt. I'm at my cabin in Tulameen reading the brave stories of taking your cars out tonight over the Coquihalla but my car is in my garage at home and won't come up here until spring. The ol' Tahoe hybrid is needed to get in and out of my driveway here. Now I feel a bit better about leaving my car at home.

Sorry to hear, but I can't help thinking that a 20 minute coffee stop at the 70-amp charger in Merritt would have saved you a lot of time, money and grief. I wouldn't have considered the run from Merritt to Hope with less than 150 rated on the clock.
In winter conditions, I wouldn't leave the Merritt TI with anything less than 170 km of Rated Range. Last trip down to Vancouver in poor conditions (but not full on winter) I used 160 km of RR from the Merritt TI to the Blue Moose while driving at the posted speed limits. See data here. In the back of your mind, you need to consider that you may be turned around and sent back the way you came because of road conditions or accidents, both of which seem to happen more often than in the past.

$200 tow

Oops. :redface:
You may have already seen this EV trip Planner but it's interesting to see how changing the outside temp and speed affects the kWh / mile for the Merritt to Hope leg.