Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi Too Much Lately ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in fair weather Southern California, and it has been great the last month or so. 65 to 85 degrees or so.

Yet it seems like my Wh/mi has been running really high while trying to drive relatively slow to normal. In the morning (again, maybe 68-70 degrees) the car can be in 400 to 500Wh/mi range for the first 10 to 15 minutes and I haven't broken 40mph or climbed a hill. I know the battery pack is being brought up to temp, but this seems crazy high, and I have not noticed it before.

I just did a 25 mile trip at an average of 336 Wh/mi and again never went over 60. Most of it was in traffic poking along under 20mph. I watched myself the entire trip and never accelerated hard, or even spirited. I know that 336 Wh/mi is "not bad", but based on recent activity it just seems like something is not quite right.

Tires are at 42psi, as always, range mode off, as always in my case, cabin temp at 72 this morning - which matched outside temp, so it was running at very low speed.

Anyone else have something like this and then have it resolved by a service visit.

I notice the first mile or so always has much higher power usage. This is true in warm weather even when I pre-cool the car while plugged in. I generally have to go 5 miles or so before the average power usage for the trip falls below 400wh/mile. The winter is far worse.

That's the problem. 20 mph is not an economical speed and there was probably a lot of slowing down and speeding up (aka yo-yoing)
No, I was intentionally not yo-yoing, and really rolling the power on smoothly. I do understand about the pac coming to temperature, it has just seemed off. I just did the exact same 25 mile trip as I did in the morning (child school pick-up loop) and I was nearly 400wh/mile after the car had been just driven by my wife. So it just seems off.

I may just call the 800 number and have them look at my logs.