Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/Mile greater than 330?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to get some help. My newish car got hit hard in a tornado months ago. It should have been totalled out like our other car, but Progressive wanted it fixed instead. Now it seems like the battery is draining way too quickly. I am not sure if it was due to something in the storm, from the collision center or normal. Please help!

uUX12_SaCtuOptRUW6GrXtXBDJJV6xaJIrfaoS15ZeblkI8tCttkKJumoJ6jmijnOU1h9cB90D48Rz-UFzovEqDNyNuS0HE6iEJhRAoJQ4LWQuHQJmmDI7n4QK2QSW04n6muPGbO7rjTWs4CjPkCogInG4WcjuE10JcmhcrsxOOtu5L_5FJezIcMeG04VneNOItJb6IbGkxLzwGK0ZHqBPS9zO0iucO7K9-MTZqPQAUD-dxC7xOSOOkjFpt3Fh_eAERTNouQQo8PW_YxEGmQ-2kfH0VjeUy7hpXvwXd3-0f6HqwRmCIED1G9CG7dNkFwJO08OjYajw9wzWyJSIAARDx8Sj4H9FruaYIl7Lb6LTLLlutDIhkqK64nRjTBXdBNLeYPm-77IIpGR4Cyolq521qIfZKlJDsWXjt4n2HoePLXsfrqfwm85iJgKNmAFqfzoAMqJaKOBQHSZC0wbZ_qkxawHhF1l8IedJFNoMj3g2VLWPKyflGaQz5KE5H3XDL8kTN-fncCBzslW3ih2KrFcfvjxf-egSd-xinKZbbduCyvu4vgn6yBbV2EIK6wm42JiJJ0cCCGkK6COfDhhXT495o9RGBcizXuTsgJLbW37plPTuyjK1Q4rgTw-0ZfmjkZxb_y1ZoVLfehixlFu7NjbSoFM1wxrP17Mrsda5HtZsV8kzDvDlmlSIiH=w1250-h938-no

No advice? This seems off to me and I don't know who needs to help me, Tesla, Insurance or the Collision Center.

Wh/Mi is a measure of how much energy its taking to move the car, and can vary considerably, with weather, etc.

There IS no advise for you on this except to wait till it gets warmer.

Just one data point. My model 3P is a commuter car. I drive to work and back every day in it, 5 days a week. My round trip commute is approximately 80 miles. I drive the exact same path to work every day, and the the exact same path home, and have been doing so in this car since I bought it in dec 2018, but have been making this same drive for almost 14 years.

Point is, i know this drive, Its the same drive, and I drive it the same way every day.

From March to about November my wh/mi round trip to work is around 255-260. From November to Feb its around 300-320, and I use seat heaters, and have the AC off, and wear a jacket when I drive, and have the temp set to about 68 degrees.

I am also in San Diego, one of the most temperate places in the United States... where my "winter" temps are usually in the 50s in the morning (unlike someplace actually "cold"). My model 3p is also in a drywalled garage, that has insulated garage doors, and the garage never goes below about 50 degrees, even when its down to high 30s outside in the coldest of 'winter" i have at my house.

I still have regen dots every morning from a cold battery, and commute varies as much as 60-70 wh/mi in january from march.

There is likely nothing to fix, and if you go to tesla you will just be wasting time.

TL ; DR there is almost assuredly nothing wrong with your car because "your wh/mi is high", so there is no advice anyone can give you other than to just wait for it to warm up, and yes the cold effects your car, even if its not freezing or anywhere near it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I only had it in summer and early fall in TX before the tornado, so I was not sure if this was normal or the result of some damage. It surprised me that 50 degree weather could have such an impact and I keep it in a garage as well.

It surprised me that 50 degree weather could have such an impact and I keep it in a garage as well.

Yep, that’ll be 2-3kW to keep the cabin at 70 degrees with that temperature (assuming clouds blocking the sun). If you are using AC to dry the air that will add some additional.

So for 3kW, at 30mph average speed, that would add 100Wh/mi. (3kW/30mph.)

Heater is 7kW max, and AC is *about* 2kW max.