Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s coming next in V11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an opinion tainted by hindsight, the same could be said of anything they've added prior to them adding it. And there's no "fundamentals" here. CP/AA can be placed in the interface without disrupting the UI at all for anyone who doesn't use it. As more and more peoples premium connectivity expires I suspect the pressure to support CP/AA will only increase as people start questioning wether they want to pay for connectivity on their car when they already have it on their phone. That or Tesla will have to greatly improve the tethering experience.

Of equal importance: Some of us just don't give a crap about the oh-so-holy Spotify.

Reactions: adrianp89 and CMoZ
That's been my couple of decades worth of software industry experience making the assessment for years now. Nothing "hindsight" about it. And whether or not it is "hindsight" for that Tesla insider or not doesn't really matter, it just is what it is from the inside (as covered already, recruiters inherently know what kinds of experience they're expected to hire for so they are going to be privy to such directions, especially ones that are rather obvious from the outside....your insistence otherwise notwithstanding).

Maybe there are better recruiters out there but almost everywhere I've worked they're looking for specific general skills then they consult with me or someone else in my department on specifics. This would definitely count as a specific. You don't need experience specifically in implementing CarPlay

Your "it's easy, I've done it myself" lays bare just how little you actually understand about putting a consumer product together, the polish that befits and ultimately that demands, and the complicated [and strategic] nature of a fluid UX.

Ya no that's fine I've only been working on consumer facing products since 2005 including several billion dollar+ products I know nothing about working on a consumer product.

Running out of the 6 month freebie that covers some of the features will result in very easily ignored "pressure" given the features are still there, are regularly improving, and only a subset require the [readily purchasable, low cost] data plan. There's what, close to 1/2 million vehicles that fall into that category already and Tesla shows no sign of even acknowledging the CP/AA noise much less worrying about it.

What are you even talking about? Nobody advocating for removing built in features to implement CP/AA which is what this
given the features are still there, are regularly improving, and only a subset require the [readily purchasable, low cost] data plan
sounds like your insinuating. As well I'm not suggesting they're "worrying" about it but much like the way too late addition of Spotify after Tesla made the bad bet on Slacker radio if enough people want it they'll do it

In any event. If you don't want or don't like CP/AA then again who cares why argue?
If you do want it you're not going to get it by not asking and not advocating for it. So there's a reason to keep publicly voicing desire for it. Does it guarantee anything No. But not asking for it or voicing support for including support for it gains nothing.

Again there's 0 reason to argue against it and there's a whole lot of reason to advocate/argue for it if you want it or use it elsewhere

You fancy yourself a UX expert everyone else's opinions be damned we get it. Also we don't care.

I'm done with this part of the discussion

Ya no that's fine I've only been working on consumer facing products since 2005 including several billion dollar+ products I know nothing about working on a consumer product.
That's certainly what you come off like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Well, not exactly. More-so stereotypical coder that PMs and UI designers have to periodically wack over the noggin to remind them that the general public arent' closet hacker hobbyists, rather mostly people that KISS is far more friendly to.
Nobody advocating for removing built in features to implement CP/AA which is what this
I'm talking about any supposed pressure being deflated by the alternative already being present, because the features will still be there. And it isn't like the start of paying for 'premium' is a surprise.
As well I'm not suggesting they're "worrying" about it but much like the way too late addition of Spotify after Tesla made the bad bet on Slacker radio if enough people want it they'll do it
Spotify had been in the works for a while, Tesla had already been using them in IIRC the UK. Tesla needed to negotiate the NA deal, that takes time to put together....and "too late"?????

I kind of thought this thread was about proposed V11 features, rather than an argument for or against carplay / android auto?

/shrug..

FWIW, I have carplay on my wifes 2019 BMW (wireless carplay even) which I only enabled for about a week before turning it off to go back to BMWs idrive interface, which I happen to find superior. One of the reasons I likely find it superior is simply that I am used to it. I know where everything is, and its comfortable for me in that car.

I didnt like carplay at all, either in my wifes BMW or any of the various loaner cars I have had over the years when I would travel (back when that was still a thing, traveling, heh). That doesnt mean someone else cant like it, it just means I dont care about it. If they implemented in a tesla, I wouldnt use it, but that doesnt mean others couldnt.

Car companies didnt WANT to implement carplay / AA.. they want to own the infotainment stack, not be a dumb pipe. Consumers want some system like that so they can get into any car, and have it all be familiar. thats best for the consumer but not the car company because they cant differentiate themselves except by price, which no "luxury" manufacturer wants to do. Thats why carplay was free in the kia's / hyundai's, etc, and companies like BMW didnt want to implement it (charged for it) then even tried to charge yearly for it before walking that back.

The reason that @CMoZ lays out about "why would I want to rebuild all that???" is the same reason the companies all want their own infotainment... so that you get used to THEIR interface, and when you go buy your next car, many people gravitate to what they are "used to".

Tesla is forcing some of these companies to do things like provide updates for the car you own, rather than making you buy a new one to get new features, etc. I think thats great. They also want to own their own infotainment stack. I personally think thats fine as well. I understand why a consumer wants something different, but its certainly not best for tesla to do it, and as long as they keep adding features for free, I have no issue with it... even if I dont use most of them.

Reactions: dmurphy
I kind of thought this thread was about proposed V11 features, rather than an argument for or against carplay / android auto?
It has to do with proposing CP/AA is a candidate for V11 (or any foreseeable update). That's where it ties in.
/shrug..

FWIW, I have carplay on my wifes 2019 BMW (wireless carplay even) which I only enabled for about a week before turning it off to go back to BMWs idrive interface, which I happen to find superior. One of the reasons I likely find it superior is simply that I am used to it. I know where everything is, and its comfortable for me in that car.

I didnt like carplay at all, either in my wifes BMW or any of the various loaner cars I have had over the years when I would travel (back when that was still a thing, traveling, heh). That doesnt mean someone else cant like it, it just means I dont care about it. If they implemented in a tesla, I wouldnt use it, but that doesnt mean others couldnt.

Car companies didnt WANT to implement carplay / AA.. they want to own the infotainment stack, not be a dumb pipe. Consumers want some system like that so they can get into any car, and have it all be familiar. thats best for the consumer but not the car company because they cant differentiate themselves except by price, which no "luxury" manufacturer wants to do. Thats why carplay was free in the kia's / hyundai's, etc, and companies like BMW didnt want to implement it (charged for it) then even tried to charge yearly for it before walking that back.

The reason that @CMoZ lays out about "why would I want to rebuild all that???" is the same reason the companies all want their own infotainment... so that you get used to THEIR interface, and when you go buy your next car, many people gravitate to what they are "used to".

Tesla is forcing some of these companies to do things like provide updates for the car you own, rather than making you buy a new one to get new features, etc. I think thats great. They also want to own their own infotainment stack. I personally think thats fine as well. I understand why a consumer wants something different, but its certainly not best for tesla to do it, and as long as they keep adding features for free, I have no issue with it... even if I dont use most of them.
There is certainly something of that, the UX as the brand and a differentiator (I'm pretty sure I mentioned this, maybe I was too oblique about it). But one cornerstone of Tesla's strength vs other BEVs is their charging network, what makes them truly a peer with ICE in use as a primary car, is their Supercharger network. To provide that to customers they needed something nobody else was really doing, and building that on top of someone else's stack or waiting for another company to show up and catch up (Google Maps, for example) is just begging to get tech-screwed by the stack owner somewhere down the line. That isn't really in the customer's interest, either. And the brand and differentiator only works longterm if you're bringing quality and customer value to the table, in the process.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CMoZ
...and there it is, with a pile of buttons in support, and everything else I'm talking about. Same crap, prettier pile.

What are you talking about? They could remove literally every physical button and I can control every feature of the car while using CarPlay. Would you like a video of how implementing CarPlay on a large screen does not affect anything else at all?

Reactions: CMoZ
To (attempt to) get back on topic, some features I'd like to see in V11:

- Turning at intersections after stopping
- Autopark by reading the parking lines rather than the radar
- Better representation of cars to the rear on the MFD, particularly those directly astern
- "Avoid this road" tagging on the map

Reactions: camthehombre

The thing that I loved - adored - about CarPlay in my Cadillac was its ability to use 2 displays. For example, Apple Maps would use the in-dash display for the map, and the handset display for the list of upcoming directions. An elegant solution to the problem of small in-dash displays.

This is incredibly unnecessary on Model 3.

I haven't missed CarPlay one iota. If they could just add a SiriusXM streaming app, I'd be more than golden.

Purely software things I want to see, in no particular order:

1. Actually understanding the HOV lanes in the Bay Area. The car simply doesn't know how the time-based lanes function and it totally screws up the routing and NoA operations because of it.

2. "Dumb" summon and autopark using cameras for parking in tight spaces, not just ultrasonics.

3. Autopilot-priority routing. If there's a surface route that is 8% faster but requires me to have to manually operate the car instead of just supervise, I'd rather just take the freeway.

4. Audible.com audio app, since they're never ever going to give us carplay apparently.

5. A function in the settings to force a deep reboot of the car

6. Map the auto dimming mirrors to light conditions, not a specific time

7. For sentry mode, give us a "jump to event" button and put a bounding box around whatever caused the car to take notice and flag as an event

8. Add a function to specifically submit a disengagement data and footage dump to Tesla when autopilot does something unexpected.

9. Let us touch the headlight indicator in the status bar to turn headlights on/off. It's really hard to flash lights on and off at someone when they're driving with headlights off after dark, and flashing brights is rude AF when it comes to substitutes.

10. Longer range for smart summon. My work parking lot is enormous and despite having line of sight to my car, I have to walk most of the way to it. Frustrating on rainy days.

11. Have summon actually work on the first try. Last two firmware versions it fails to start on the first attempt 100% of the time, then works fine on the second attempt.

12. Option (default) for automatic blended friction brakes in cold weather so that the car consistently decelerates on the same curve when the battery is cold. The inconsistency in how the car reacts to the same input change is a human factors/human-machine interaction nightmare.

13. Prioritize regen braking when coming to a stop for lights and signs, and smooth out the inputs. It's jerkier than a 13yo's happy hand when he gets privacy right now.

14. Add Plex to the theatre apps, or just let us view any browser window full screen with audio when paused…

Last edited:
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Purely software things I want to see, in no particular order:

1. Actually understanding the HOV lanes in the Bay Area. The car simply doesn't know how the time-based lanes function and it totally screws up the routing and NoA operations because of it.

2. "Dumb" summon and autopark using cameras for parking in tight spaces, not just ultrasonics.

3. Autopilot-priority routing. If there's a surface route that is 8% faster but requires me to have to manually operate the car instead of just supervise, I'd rather just take the freeway.

4. Audible.com audio app, since they're never ever going to give us carplay apparently.

5. A function in the settings to force a deep reboot of the car

6. Map the auto dimming mirrors to light conditions, not a specific time

7. For sentry mode, give us a "jump to event" button and put a bounding box around whatever caused the car to take notice and flag as an event

8. Add a function to specifically submit a disengagement data and footage dump to Tesla when autopilot does something unexpected.

9. Let us touch the headlight indicator in the status bar to turn headlights on/off. It's really hard to flash lights on and off at someone when they're driving with headlights off after dark, and flashing brights is rude AF when it comes to substitutes.

10. Longer range for smart summon. My work parking lot is enormous and despite having line of sight to my car, I have to walk most of the way to it. Frustrating on rainy days.

11. Have summon actually work on the first try. Last two firmware versions it fails to start on the first attempt 100% of the time, then works fine on the second attempt.

12. Option (default) for automatic blended friction brakes in cold weather so that the car consistently decelerates on the same curve when the battery is cold. The inconsistency in how the car reacts to the same input change is a human factors/human-machine interaction nightmare.

13. Prioritize regen braking when coming to a stop for lights and signs, and smooth out the inputs. It's jerkier than a 13yo's happy hand when he gets privacy right now.

14. Add Plex to the theatre apps, or just let us view any browser window full screen with audio when paused…
Good points, #7 we just got in 2020.24.6.1 so that’s good news, #12 NEEDS TO HAPPEN WITH ALL SERIOUSNESS..... everything else I agree with in some fashion. Summon is regulatory issue which limits it. That will change. I do want to see auto park speed up and detect it more often. I’m normally only given the option maybe 2 out 6 times when parking.
I think the model 3/Y performances should get launch control as model S performance should get some sort of track mode.

I want the battery icon to show both % and miles. Or at least in the app.
What would be cool is if we had a option to order food thru the Tesla and pay thru your Tesla account right in the screen. Or just your phone to confirm payment. A lot of people don’t know if you set you iPhone on the arm rest it opens the apple wallet, so the NFC CAN read the reader for the keycard. Let me be clear, it can NOT read you phone in same fashion as the key card.... that option is not there. It just opens the wallet because A NFC reader is there.

I really want autopilot improvements. That what I would like to see. Ap1 handles lane widening 2x better than ap2 and above. Yeah I said it.

Fix the turn signal sensitivity to back to what it use to be. Sometimes you tap for the 3 blinks and then the safety warning for departing the lane goes off as it didn’t signal. This is a issue on both our model 3 and model y

open up Early access to more people.

Release note in the mobile app would be killer.

Faster lane changes, if the car sees nothing there it should be able to move over not just when it’s about to miss an exit. Meaning, instead of blinking 4x then moving if it initiated a lane change the camera sends back no car is visible or something the car should move lanes right then not after 4 blinks. This could be mandatory Due to Regulatory issues not sure. I know that if it has to make rapid changes to continue it will do so. It needs to do that all the time.

waypoint, waypoints, waypoints..... again waypoints, just to be clear waypoints.... granted Elon musk said no this...and then stated the car will auto route to places in your calendar. I think this is a huge miss. I don’t think I should have to schedule getting coffee or food at a certain time in my calendar for the car to sometime see it and guess which route to take me to a coffee shop I might not go to all time. That was an example. It would be simpler to just have to route to your meeting like he wants and you just plug in a waypoint. But maybe he will change.

lastly Disney plus in theater would be great instead of doing the working around.

Last edited:
Reactions: camthehombre