Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s coming next in V11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Cybertruck is supposed to be using a newer version, look around youtube for videos from inside the cab, here is a screenshot of one.

Notice that the far left of the screen has vertical menu choices, and the speed is at the very left at the top. Also I notice a 3d map render.

Obviously no guarantee these things will come our way, but interesting anyway.

Screenshot_20191122_141413.png

The Car Play is boxed to the top of the 12" screen on my Ram, essentially down to a 8.4 screen. Easy to use - but more importantly Siri is super easy to use.
I have not seen it in the dodge, only the volvo. In the volvo you have to stop and plug in your phone, then put the car back in drive to use it... Then you get a little tiny map. Not easy to use like the tesla map.

I have not seen it in the dodge, only the volvo. In the volvo you have to stop and plug in your phone, then put the car back in drive to use it... Then you get a little tiny map. Not easy to use like the tesla map.

That sounds obnoxious. In the Ram you just plug it in whenever. In the tile mode since latest OS the map is small, but you can bring it almost full size - it still has touch buttons on side but probably at least 6-7" of map screen though.

I would curious how it would work on the 15". I don't think full screen is feasible - but maybe some sort of split screen. This is probably the hold up... they can't figure out how to make it look like it fits.

The Cybertruck is supposed to be using a newer version, look around youtube for videos from inside the cab, here is a screenshot of one.

Notice that the far left of the screen has vertical menu choices, and the speed is at the very left at the top. Also I notice a 3d map render.

Obviously no guarantee these things will come our way, but interesting anyway.

View attachment 480107
i took this as a big hint of what is to come as well. Left side options bar would be greattttttt. and Waze! and birdseye camera view for parking

The vovlos have terrible CarPay. They box it into a tiny window. I know because thats what my wife drives, she never uses it because it's painful to use.

Perhaps my point got lost. My point was that for years it has indeed been possible to have multiple windows on a screen with one window dedicated to Car Play. What has been made possible recently is the ability to have different aspect ratios for the Car Play window than just the default 4:3.

We have a 2019 XC90 T6 and you do not have to stop to plug in - I have a hard time believing Senus is different between the XC90 and and XC60.
It's my wifes car but that has been my experience. Wife has to be parked if the phone isn't plugged in when we start driving. She does not use it because it's painful if you forget to plug in the phone before you start.

When I have plugged my phone in to use it while she is driving android auto will not start and the screen tells you you need to be parked to enable it? Once she pulls over I am able to start android auto from my plugged in phone.

Now if it's started and you unplug the phone, it can be plugged back in without stopping.

I guess I will have to go play with it. I'm also not sure if updates are available?

I feel like Tesla is at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to software. Do they keep building everything themselves or do they try to integrate more with other ecosystems (Apple, Google)? Toyota was insistent on Entune for years but finally caved in the last few years because their customers kept demanding it and the experience was inferior. I could see Tesla working on a dev kit and an app store because they could deliver an equally good or better experience than Apple/Google. Hell, they hire enough of the same people. Even if it's years away, it's an extra revenue stream and could be easier to offload games and infotainment apps to third-parties rather than trying to keep them updated. Obviously this only applies to things that can be used while the car is parked but they've already demonstrated proof of concept.

Improvements to voice commands would also be good but again, do they keep working on this internally or just improve mobile integration via bluetooth?

Tesla is not at a crossroads and no they will not integrate more with Google Android Auto or Apple Carplay. :) end of story. How do I know? Worked at Tesla for 5 years as an engineering recruiter.