Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the consensus on factory mud flaps and PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the front flaps and rear PPF on my MYP here in Idaho. My SA told me that selected "winter zones" get them gratis. What those zones are, I'm not exactly sure. I do know they work well so far! Rear flaps are really a non-issue since they're not protecting your car, but the car behind you.

Never owned any flaps, but we did PPF the front end, hood, and the area just in front of the rear tires. We've done the same for the last 3 Teslas we've owned, and I feel it significantly lowers paint damage from gravel and other detritus on the road. It's cheaper than repainting those areas every year. Currently I have ONE spot where a stone or large gravel chuck tore through the PPF hard enough to chip the paint, but that's why I bought touch up paint.

Reactions: csrpenfab
I think anyone who cares about longevity for the paint at least needs front bumper PPF for the gazillion bugs it will collect and front mud flaps to protect the rear panel.
I will say that PPF + ceramic makes all the difference there. I had some bugs on the front and I literally just wiped them off with a microfiber cloth in a few spots, no spray needed. (And PPF can stand up to that easily, obviously.)

I have PPF on my entire vehicle and mudflaps on my MYP. Also have all the windows tinted to block out most of the IR and UV light. Not sure if I'd do PPF again since if it gets damaged you have to replace it, which is costly. Probably just the front of the vehicle at most. Mudflaps are an easy yes. The window tint was a good investment.

Took delivery yesterday (8/25) and mine came with them. I'll talk to my PPF guy, but am thinking of not having him do the LOWER DOOR. I can also say that on our 2020 (we traded we owned it for 25 months/22K miles and over 10K were long road trips), when I closely inspected the car with a bright light and wife's sewing magnification glass I didn't see much impact damage in that area (lower doors). Just at the DOGLEG by the rear door which is where the Tesla PPF is applied.

The bumper took a beating, hood and fenders not so much either. Interesting to see that so I know where the HIGH THREAT AREAS really are.

What do you mean by the "lower door"? Are you thinking to only put PPF on the top half of your doors?! That is going to look extremely awkward in a month or two of winter when that seam line gets highlighted by dirt and grime. You'll have a dirt pinstripe running across your entire door...!

Not only that but I think the lower half of your doors (the bits closest to the road and directly behind your front tires) are the most vulnerable so I don't see how excluding the lower half would make any logical sense. If anything, that's the one part you SHOULD cover in PPF.

My suggestion for anyone thinking about PPF is to always do complete panels... the marginal cost of a full panel vs a partial panel is probably quite minimal but the benefits are huge if you care anything about aesthetics (which, if you're asking the question, you probably do since PPF is literally trying to preserve the aesthetic). The seams are where dirt will accumulate and those lines will show up very distinctly after a month or two of snowy weather and will be difficult/near impossible to fully clean. Further, that dirt will cause a bit of lifting and pealing in the film. If you're trying to save money, partial panels are NOT the way to go. Instead, I would focus on specific panels. IMO, the order of importance are the rear doors and the front bumper, then the hood, then the front doors, then finally the trunk hatch and rear bumper.

Also, depending on your intention with the PPF, the trunk hatch actually does help in that this section gets very dirty quickly. While this section does not get abused like the rear doors, I find that if I drive in the rain, I'll always get water spots back there but nowhere else (I have ceramic coating). While the PPF itself does not necessarily wick away water the same way as ceramic, it does wick better than bare paint and will add some protection against stains/paint degradation over time. Probably a minimal benefit but you can decide if it's worth it.