Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the point if I have to tug the wheel every 10 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around town, I really don't see the point of letting the car halfway drive itself while you have to be paying very close attention and anticipating what it may or may not do next. You might as well drive it yourself. To me anyway, it's pointless until it gets to a point where I can let it drive completely unattended and do something else with my time that is otherwise being occupied driving or monitoring it driving. And I think we are a long way from that point.
I felt the same way until last week, when I drove down to Raleigh Durham, NC.

Southbound I spent a night in Harrisburg PA and northbound a night in the outskirts of Scranton PA.

All three locations were new territory for me; I didn’t know where I was going and I let the car do the driving for me.

Having the car do the navigation as well as the minutia of driving, while in unfamiliar areas, was a great stress remover as I could concentrate on the safety of every traffic situation I encountered.

I agree, while driving around very familiar territory and ones brain is not being overwhelmed with processing new data, including when to know to avoid known potholes, makes the current FSD version still feel very mechanical.

Hand on the Steering wheel requests are quite easy to satisfy! The system is just trying to sense the slight torque increase when your hand/hands is/are on the steering wheel. The fact that you put your hands on the steering wheel lightly and can "feel" the steering wheel steering motion already imparted (action /reaction force) enough torque to satisfy the request.

I have found one very useful stress reduction application of FSD for me at least and that is driving on curvy mountain two lane roads at night. It will keep the car on the middle of the lane and not bothered by the on coming traffic head lights.

Reactions: navguy12 and RTPEV
FSD is not going full autonomy anytime soon. I much prefer to keep my hand(s) on the wheel to act as a third eye. I feel far more comfortable reducing my attention driving when one of my hand is on the wheel as my hand detects sudden (or unwanted) movement faster.

As a bonus, this more a less gets rid of all the nags.

Once you get used to this, it really is much more relaxing to use FSD than what some claim.