Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a picture of the final product. For my use, I bought a hitch with a 2" rise to make my trailer level. I took it around the block to see how it tows, but I was afraid to go very far because the plates aren't on the trailer yet, and I haven't got the lights working yet. It feels like there is nothing being towed which is not surprising as the trailer only weights a couple of hundred lbs. The hitch really does rattle around in the reciever. It definately needs something to stop the rattle. I plan to go to Florida with the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_154536235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180827_154536235_HDR.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: Tedkidd
This video, posted by JerryRigEverything, shows how to install an aftermarket trailer hitch (and that deserves it's own thread). But in the process they remove the rear bumper, and maybe a pound of gravel is seem to have collected in the rear bumper (4:30). Then they remove a bracket that holds the crash plate to the rear of the car and again, a bunch of crud (looks like sand and small rocks) is seen to have collected in the rear of the bracket.

WTF? I haven't taken delivery of my car yet, but this seems like a serious design flaw, and no wonder rear bumpers are falling off the cars.

Probably unloaded off a trailer in a gravel lot, and joyrided around.
Maybe, but the fact remains that there is apparently a gap under there that allows debris to collect over time, pounds of it, and water as well. It explains the bumper detachments in the cars that drove thru standing water. Even if you only ever drive on pavement it appears the present design would require periodic bumper removal to clean out the pan.

And your theory doesn't explain the large amount of crud discovered under the crash bar mounting brackets in the video. And to clean that requires crash bar removal for access.

Do the Model S and/or Model X have similar bumper designs? Does anyone know of similar bumper designs on other vehicles EV or otherwise?

Maybe, but the fact remains that there is apparently a gap under there that allows debris to collect over time, pounds of it, and water as well. It explains the bumper detachments in the cars that drove thru standing water. Even if you only ever drive on pavement it appears the present design would require periodic bumper removal to clean out the pan.

And your theory doesn't explain the large amount of crud discovered under the crash bar mounting brackets in the video. And to clean that requires crash bar removal for access.

Do the Model S and/or Model X have similar bumper designs? Does anyone know of similar bumper designs on other vehicles EV or otherwise?
The Model X comes with a removable receiver. There’s a removable hatch on the bottom panel of the vehicle. Tesla provides guidance to owners that the cover should be in place at all times except when towing.

I replaced my stock hitch with an aftermarket hitch, and while removing the bottom panel for the process, found a lot of gravel trapped in that panel. I'm assuming that's why Tesla's guidance is to keep the cover on. I wound up cutting my panel to fit tightly around the aftermarket receiver as seen in this post, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still some penetration.

Maybe, but the fact remains that there is apparently a gap under there that allows debris to collect over time, pounds of it, and water as well.
When I got my car it was raining. When I removed my crashbar it was full of water. With the bumper off you can see the rain is guided to the top of the crashbar and in my case the sealant had slid down, puddled at the bottom, allowing the top to be open and holding anything that intruded.

And when I took off the front bumper recently it was full of baby spiders. Yikes!

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
When I got my car it was raining. When I removed my crashbar it was full of water. With the bumper off you can see the rain is guided to the top of the crashbar and in my case the sealant had slid down, puddled at the bottom, allowing the top to be open and holding anything that intruded.

And when I took off the front bumper recently it was full of baby spiders. Yikes!

-Randy
Please clarify 'the sealant had slid down.'
Is this a gasket that had moved out of position ?

Well Elon did say that the Model 3 would have a hitch. And the manual does say: "Caution: Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty." Which sort of says they plan to supply something.
Well, it's been 4 more months and there are still no Tesla-approved towing components. At least the roof rack is here, but I really want to tow my other car or a motorcycle trailer already. Can't put those on the roof.

-Randy

Well, it's been 4 more months and there are still no Tesla-approved towing components. At least the roof rack is here, but I really want to tow my other car or a motorcycle trailer already. Can't put those on the roof.

-Randy

Also quite disappointed that they'll soon be opening to European orders and still no tow hitch or air suspension :Þ

Come on, Tesla, let me throw more money at you!

there are some rumours in the Dutch tesla stores about the airsuspension.
This will be revealed the same day as that the reserveration will be open for europe (some websites say that will be today)
Tesla Model 3 vanaf nu te configureren
A lot are expecting that the airsuspension will be in the same packages as the towhitch.
Because the towhitch need airsuspension.

so fingers crossed today and this week.

Here are a few more pictures of my setup. I ordered a Curt weld on receiver and fabricated a bracket to bolt to the Stealth hitch. Only downside is now when I drive with a bike on it there is some creepy dude following me around (Maybe a Tesla ranger trying to void my warranty? :eek:).

NTuD1GMNQvC3EYflc0phvQ.jpg

3zle17l+QwWmpH9eY961Xg.jpg
EKI%t05iTdCAe6gZUMGs4w.jpg
fbsm5jmfQ42eFKDbdjYolg.jpg
VTD4SQM5RH2uW5%iQ2tnnA.jpg

bLWR7oHSQveXVimB+L1mEA.jpg

Attachments

• XReKWUw8Rrq2DV5KXkVX3Q.jpg
    XReKWUw8Rrq2DV5KXkVX3Q.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 1ceihFzVRF2RbRlOF6aSGA.jpg
    1ceihFzVRF2RbRlOF6aSGA.jpg