Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the must have things for "Camping Mode" in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question on this that no one is asking is this:

Why is Tesla as a company less confident in the safety of their "parking brake" on the touchscreen than they are of putting the car in Park (with the stem)??? How different are these 2 methods of locking the wheels so that no one gets injured? What physically happens differently in the car to insure wheels don't move using these 2 different methods?

If there is a big difference I can understand them not allowing the charging cord to be connected with one and not the other. But if both methods pretty much guarantee the wheels aren't gonna suddenly just roll freely, why not allow charging in both modes.

Maybe, for us campers, set it up like this:

1. Put car in N
2. Engage Parking brake
3. Plug car in - start charging
4. Once the car knows its plugged in it gray's out/locks the ability on touchscreen to disengage parking brake until charger is unplugged
5. Tesla disables tapping the brake pedal to drive (just like it does now when car is plugged in)

This change would allow a lot of people who want to use camp mode (with a car/SUV tent attachement) do so as they wish.

Is the E.brake really that much different than putting the car in park?

What are the must have things to really pull it off with at least a little comfort (as opposed to sleeping on the ground outside the car)?

Pointing out the obvious...

upload_2017-8-16_8-37-47.png

A question on this that no one is asking is this:

Why is Tesla as a company less confident in the safety of their "parking brake" on the touchscreen than they are of putting the car in Park (with the stem)??? How different are these 2 methods of locking the wheels so that no one gets injured? What physically happens differently in the car to insure wheels don't move using these 2 different methods?

If there is a big difference I can understand them not allowing the charging cord to be connected with one and not the other. But if both methods pretty much guarantee the wheels aren't gonna suddenly just roll freely, why not allow charging in both modes.

From my understanding both do the same thing, "physically" to the car (I don't know if the parking brake is physical or just electronic). That said, I don't believe Tesla has less confidence in one over the other, I think they are just completely different programs on implementing the same thing (or at least access the same program to turn on the parking break). Since one is a physical action and one is via touch screen they could have coded both differently and with the touch screen didn't bother coding in the charging code. Either that or how it was coded skipped some steps that referenced charging if it was higher in the coding stack flow. Either way - it was just coded differently.