Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your FSD hopes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't expect to see the FSD beta get a general release any time soon.

But, that doesn't mean we won't see improvements trickle down from the FSD beta program. Where we'll start to see the quality of AP, NoA, etc improve significant over what we have now.

What I hope to see:
  • Artificial birds eye view where it shows you a representation of curbs, cars that it has in its own memory
  • Rear cross traffic alert based on the internal map of objects around it.
  • Green chime when its your turn to go at a stop sign
  • A reporting button similar to what FSD beta people have for FSD related issues
  • Report button for issues with the Navigation/Maps
  • Autosteer on city streets where its more locked down than what we see in the FSD beta, but still provides some functionality.
  • An autopark version of smart summon
  • An actual driver monitoring system in the new Model S/X. Like the interior camera actually was designed with this in mind
  • Using the existing interior camera in the Model 3/Y to augment the torque sensor. That way it didn't nag you if were clearly looking ahead.

As someone who has only been using parts of it for a little while, I would rate FSD (as it is today) this way:

Great: Auto Lane Change
OK but could be better: NoA, Summon
Impractical/Broken: Autopark, Smart Summon

So I would say perfect what already exists before asking for additional features. I was expecting to feel like I was losing something once the 3 month trial ends but as of today, that’s just not the case.

Since the beta release in Oct, my goal was to have it, and have it be good enough to take me from my house to cedar point (an hour away) with zero interventions on opening day May 14th.

Does anybody else have any specific goals you'll be happy to see?
I’d like the FSD to stay with the purchaser of it. It’s such a large investment, it’s only fair that we could transfer it to a newer model. Whoever buys my older model can buy their own FSD package.

• Love
Reactions: Microterf
My main FSD hope is to be invited into the beta. I'm driving on a lot of roads out in the middle of nowhere right now, many of which will probably never see another Tesla for twenty years, and I think that my car being part of the beta program could provide valuable breadth of data for them. :)

For example, it can learn how to pass a bald eagle tour bus on a one-lane road at the top of a levee. :D

I haven't had AP drift out of its lane going around curves. Sandy Munro mentioned that it took a while to get used to AP keeping the car right smack in the middle of the lane going around curves at highway speeds. I agree that it feels a bit unnatural, but it's completely safe. I've only had mine try to follow the car ahead of me going into the left turn lane while coming up to a light.

oh, and slowing for curves while on AutoSteer as to actually keep the car in its lane without human intervention.

I'd like to see speed limit and passing lane enforcement, especially freeways, while on AP.

- The car will keep to the right, unless passing
- The car will try to maintain the posted speed limit (+ set offset) and switch to left lane(s) to pass slower traffic

I think FSD beta is primarily testing autosteer on city streets. That's interesting, but I don't see myself using it that much.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
I'd like to see speed limit and passing lane enforcement, especially freeways, while on AP.

- The car will keep to the right, unless passing
- The car will try to maintain the posted speed limit (+ set offset) and switch to left lane(s) to pass slower traffic

navigate on autopilot does this (not spectacularly WELL, but it's better than nothing), you just need to have a destination set.

I haven't had AP drift out of its lane going around curves. Sandy Munro mentioned that it took a while to get used to AP keeping the car right smack in the middle of the lane going around curves at highway speeds. I agree that it feels a bit unnatural, but it's completely safe. I've only had mine try to follow the car ahead of me going into the left turn lane while coming up to a light.

It’s fine on thruways, I’m talking about twisty back roads. Yes, I know AP “isn’t supposed to be used on anything other than expressways”, but, my car, my choice. Over the summer of 2020, back on 2020.28.5, the car would slow perfectly for curves on back roads. It would even do it when TACC was engaged, not just AP. Since then, it takes curves way to fast, and will cross or come close to crossing the double yellow.

• Love
Reactions: Microterf
This is good to know. I suppose I'll use NoAP when I start traveling. Right now, I have no use for it as I'm familiar with the Bay Area (where I live) and do all navigation myself.

navigate on autopilot does this (not spectacularly WELL, but it's better than nothing), you just need to have a destination set.

Seems like you and I are diametrically opposite drivers. Driving the twisty (mountain) back roads is one of the primary reasons why I bought my Tesla. I use AP for commuting and driving "straight" on freeways and surface streets.

It’s fine on thruways, I’m talking about twisty back roads. Yes, I know AP “isn’t supposed to be used on anything other than expressways”, but, my car, my choice. Over the summer of 2020, back on 2020.28.5, the car would slow perfectly for curves on back roads. It would even do it when TACC was engaged, not just AP. Since then, it takes curves way to fast, and will cross or come close to crossing the double yellow.