Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What audio source do you use the most?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to give up listening to SiriusXM radio in the Tesla Model Y. Search the forum and you will find multiple threads.

Two main options:

1) Use your phone and the SiriusXM phone app to play through the Tesla Model Y's audio system via Bluetooth. (Also works if you enable the SiriusXM skill in Amazon Alexa, use the Alexa app on your phone to play SiriusXM (requires logging in using your SiriusXM ID and password.) The Amazon Alexa Auto accessory enables hands free voice control of the Alexa app. (The Alexa Auto accessory frequently goes on sale so don't pay full price.) This approach uses your phone's data plan.

2) Install a SiriusXM receiver and docking station in the Tesla Model Y (requires that you place a small magnetic or adhesive mount antenna on the outside of the Tesla Model Y. The SiriusXM audio can be picked up using FM. Some of the newer SiriusXM docking stations support Bluetooth audio streaming. SiriusXM will send you a SiriusXM kit that includes everything you need to listen to SiriusXM in your vehicle (usually this includes a rebate coupon that covers the cost of the kit.)

Last edited:
The streaming that is on my MY is actually pretty decent. I've heard a lot of people say they like the TuneIN(?) but I haven't tried it yet. I've been using Spotify since the beginning and I have always really enjoyed it. I've only had my MY since Wednesday and I asked the forum about SiriusXM, I believe you can get an app, though I believe people said it doesn't work great. Once I get some time with my car where I can just sit and mess with it, I will explore to see if there is an XM app.

I use Bluetooth to stream XM radio from my XM phone app for news channels and Amazon music app on my phone for streaming high definition music. Amazon HD music is audiophile quality, but have not compared it to Qobuz or Apple lossless in terms of quality.

Was using spotify and totally happy with it. Switched to Tidal recently (you can guess why), but this has no shuffling function with the Tesla app and, even more annoyingly, it often drops the songs or becomes very digitally. so..... I guess I will reluctantly go back to Spotify.
Use FM for local news and TuneIn for some podcasts.

SXM app on my iPhone + BT to the car. Adequate but nowhere near as convenient as a properly integrated SXM receiver or app. But I knew that going in and still got the car and don’t regret it.

(and voice commands via Alexa Auto are a non-starter for me)

In my old Dodge I used Sirius XM, because Bluetooth and USB didn’t work very well.

In my Mustang, I did sign up for Sirius XM, but mostly use Apple Music through CarPlay.

When I test drove the Y, I found it was real easy to pair my phone over Bluetooth and use Siri on my Apple Watch to control Apple Music. So that is what I plan to do. Though maybe I’ll sign up for Tidal again.

I’ll probably cancel the SiriusXM in the Mustang when my contract is up.