TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What benefit does WiFi bring to the Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by ratsbew, Aug 27, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

My garage has decent LTE connectivity in my Model 3....why should I bother with WiFi? Is there any benefit? Do I get updates sooner?

2. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Yes, you get updates sooner and such

3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Historically, Tesla has given updates to Wi-Fi cars several days before it goes to cars on cellular. I don't think that's guaranteed to continue, but it probably will.

4. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I have not gotten updates sooner since enabling wifi. Before the wifi feature, I was in the first few days' batches for 4 updates in a row. After enabling, my car was skipped for several of the .28 bugfix builds, and got .32 only after 20% of TeslaFi's fleet got it. This is not a reliable indicator, but just providing a contrary set of data points to those that claim wifi gets you updates more quickly--it may, it may not. Depends on the update's import and on Tesla's internal deployment plan, something none of us here is privy to.

That said, you do gain the wonderful feature of having voice commands and streaming media fail for around 30-60 seconds as you leave your home wifi coverage and the car swaps back to LTE. :)

5. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

I have that anyway because the Model 3's streaming support (particularly podcasts) works for $#!+ and I use my phone anyway.

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

It works pretty flawlessly for me, aside from when my connection changes from wifi to LTE, or when I'm in the boonies.

The fact that podcasts restart when you leave and come back to them does suck, though.

7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

My latest data point was on 2018.32.2 for the 3: 4 days away from the car with full LTE but no WiFi. As soon as I get back, I tethered to WiFi. Car immediately downloaded around 500MB. An hour later, update prompt.

So without a doubt, WiFi still gets updates faster once you are selected. I don’t know what the delay is, before it was quoted as 2 weeks (the car would wait 2 weeks for WiFi and then download it on LTE anyway)

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Map updates are only delivered over WiFi, as well as possibly getting updates sooner.

9. laxdad

laxdad Member

I thought Tesla uses Google Maps that updates via LTE as you drive around. Granted, Premium LTE is required for traffic information and satellite view maps.

10. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Yep. I don't connect to home wi-fi because every time I leave my garage, the wi-fi signal drops before the LTE signal picks up. Streaming radio freezes and it won't restart unless I switch stations first. That's a daily annoyance I can do without. If it means I get an update a few days later, I'm okay with that.

11. MP3Mike

They do for the on-screen maps showing where you are, but the navigation system uses the offline Tesla maps that only update via WiFi.

12. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I thought that all non-critical updates were going to be on wifi only at "some future date"... No?

13. laxdad

laxdad Member

#13 laxdad, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Thanks. I guess I'll connect my wifi. I've been holding off on doing so, but resistance is futile.

This is true if you aren't grandfathered into or don't pay for Premium LTE. Non-critical OTA software updates will still be available on Premium LTE.

14. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Most updates since the model 3 came out are technically non critical updates. The last critical update was a remote exploit in late 2016.

15. MP3Mike

Are you sure that the ABS update for the Model 3 wouldn't have been considered a critical update?

16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That's a good point — that's probably a critical update.

I'm still saying, most of the updates we are clamoring about don't seem like critical ones. And if I were Tesla, I'd say that means:

Premium LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and then download it anyway
    Regular LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and just skip it if wifi never arrives.

But most of us here don't want that wait 2 weeks part… but I have a feeling that's here to stay.

17. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I doubt it'd ever just skip. The second plan is probably just wait for Wi-Fi, period.