Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What benefit does WiFi bring to the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not gotten updates sooner since enabling wifi. Before the wifi feature, I was in the first few days' batches for 4 updates in a row. After enabling, my car was skipped for several of the .28 bugfix builds, and got .32 only after 20% of TeslaFi's fleet got it. This is not a reliable indicator, but just providing a contrary set of data points to those that claim wifi gets you updates more quickly--it may, it may not. Depends on the update's import and on Tesla's internal deployment plan, something none of us here is privy to.

That said, you do gain the wonderful feature of having voice commands and streaming media fail for around 30-60 seconds as you leave your home wifi coverage and the car swaps back to LTE. :)

I have that anyway because the Model 3's streaming support (particularly podcasts) works for $#!+ and I use my phone anyway.
It works pretty flawlessly for me, aside from when my connection changes from wifi to LTE, or when I'm in the boonies.

The fact that podcasts restart when you leave and come back to them does suck, though.

My latest data point was on 2018.32.2 for the 3: 4 days away from the car with full LTE but no WiFi. As soon as I get back, I tethered to WiFi. Car immediately downloaded around 500MB. An hour later, update prompt.

So without a doubt, WiFi still gets updates faster once you are selected. I don’t know what the delay is, before it was quoted as 2 weeks (the car would wait 2 weeks for WiFi and then download it on LTE anyway)

That said, you do gain the wonderful feature of having voice commands and streaming media fail for around 30-60 seconds as you leave your home wifi coverage and the car swaps back to LTE. :)

Yep. I don't connect to home wi-fi because every time I leave my garage, the wi-fi signal drops before the LTE signal picks up. Streaming radio freezes and it won't restart unless I switch stations first. That's a daily annoyance I can do without. If it means I get an update a few days later, I'm okay with that.

They do for the on-screen maps showing where you are, but the navigation system uses the offline Tesla maps that only update via WiFi.

Thanks. I guess I'll connect my wifi. I've been holding off on doing so, but resistance is futile.

I thought that all non-critical updates were going to be on wifi only at "some future date"... No?

This is true if you aren't grandfathered into or don't pay for Premium LTE. Non-critical OTA software updates will still be available on Premium LTE.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the ABS update for the Model 3 wouldn't have been considered a critical update?

That's a good point — that's probably a critical update.

I'm still saying, most of the updates we are clamoring about don't seem like critical ones. And if I were Tesla, I'd say that means:

Premium LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and then download it anyway
Regular LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and just skip it if wifi never arrives.

But most of us here don't want that wait 2 weeks part… but I have a feeling that's here to stay.

That's a good point — that's probably a critical update.

I'm still saying, most of the updates we are clamoring about don't seem like critical ones. And if I were Tesla, I'd say that means:

Premium LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and then download it anyway
Regular LTE: Wait 2 weeks for wifi and just skip it if wifi never arrives.

But most of us here don't want that wait 2 weeks part… but I have a feeling that's here to stay.

I doubt it'd ever just skip. The second plan is probably just wait for Wi-Fi, period.