Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What bike rack to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@geometro do you have any photos showing the NV base 2.0 installed on the MY. I have one one order and would love to see a photo in the raised position. How close to the bumper does the rack get when raised? Thanks.
I just ordered the Kuat NV 2.0 along with the rack dock to store it in my garage. I too look forward to seeing the pictures. Do you think it will be a problem securing the front wheel to the rack if I have a Mucky Nutz flexible full fender mudguard on my mountain bike?

Two hybrid bikes and i have no other components. Do not know enough about bike rakes as to what type to get.....ie tray mount, etc.

This rack on Amazon gets great write ups....any thoughts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079C6PNYM/

I have the 3 bike version of this & love it! It's so easy to put on/take off and being able to easily tilt down to get into the truck is very nice. It's much less expensive than many other ones I've seen out there. The only thing is I attached a piece of foam to the side facing the car as an insurance policy incase I stupidly open the trunk when the rack is upright. Don't want to take a chance of a ding on the hatch.

@glide How so?

The picture is of a double, but isn't the single dimensionally the same? (inserted into received just shy of 2" requirement at 1-7/8") Did you use an extension?

@brinox

Attachments

• IMG_4731.jpg
    IMG_4731.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Helpful
Reactions: brinox
@glide How so?

The picture is of a double, but isn't the single dimensionally the same? (inserted into received just shy of 2" requirement at 1-7/8") Did you use an extension?

@brinox
Even in that picture it looks like it'll probably hit the second tray. The hatch gets a bit "longer" as it lifts due to the bend near the end: it doesn't go straight up. You can see the position of the second tray right at the top of the picture. It's hard to be certain, but looks like it would hit to me.

This almost seems worse to me. Doesn't this imply it sits further from the vehicle and puts more strain on the receiver than one that sits closer? Especially if you add a third bike.

Response to the first question. I have the 1up rack (single + add-on). With no bikes on the rack, the rack can fold up vertically, so it is very tucked in close to the car. But then, then with the add-on on (i.e. for two bikes), it will block the hatch. There is a setting where you can tilt the racks back about 30 degrees, allowing the back hatch to open. That's a nice compromise, you can drive with it in that setting, it sticks out a tad further, but gives access to the back area.

With the bikes on, they will block the back hatch from opening. You can readily pull out the bar and tilt it back 30 degrees, and then there will be clearance to open the back hatch. You can't drive in this setting, but can temporarily tilt the bikes back to get access.

Summary: there are 4 positions for the rack: Straight up (no bikes, blocks hatch with add-on attached), ~30 degrees tilt (no bikes, doesn't block hatch), 90 degrees (so platforms are horizontal, for loading and ferrying bikes, blocks hatch with bikes attached), and 120 degrees (bikes tilted back, for temporarily gaining access to the hatch without unloading the bikes).

I hope this makes sense and helps.

I definitely wanted a tray model bike rack. I don't like to hang my bikes from a bar. My choice came down between the Kuat Sherpa (for exactly 2 bikes) or the 1-UP (which I can configure to carry 1, 2, or 3 bikes).

I purchased the 1-UP Single plus two add-ons. That gives me the flexibility to set it up to carry 1, 2, or 3 bikes. The Single is 23 lbs, the add-ons are 18 lbs each, so even with two add-ons, it is 59 lbs, leaving you with 101 lbs for the three bikes and staying under the 160 lbs vertical weight limit. The 1-Ups work well, holding the bike complete by the tires, so nothing mars the frame of the bike. It is fairly easy to get the bikes on and off. It's also pretty easy to get the rack itself and the add-on onto or off of the MY.

The problem is that my range has suffered. I did a trip with two bikes on the back and I lost about 1/3 of my range. It was very consisten - about every mile I drove, my range went down by 1.5 miles. I was driving typically between 72-76 MPH, on a route with no big climbs (flat to slightly rolling). Having only 200 miles of range is quite discouraging.

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

Reactions: SharpKnife
There's probably not a ton you can do here, but you might try removing those bags and water bottles. They're big surfaces and high up in the air stream. Anything above that crease line in the trunk is going to have a big impact. Removing that stuff is not going to be a miracle, but at best you're probably looking at incremental improvements here.

I ended up snagging one of the official "tesla racks" . Will report back on usage and ease of use soon.

Model X/Y Hitch Rack

Hm, what?

Note: When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X/Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs.

I thought it was 160 lb? Or is it 350 lb? Which one is it?
They need to decide on a value and stick with it (and post it publicly)!

Note: they said "hitch" here, not "hitch rack". Thus the max bike load is 120 lb - 40 lb (rack weight) = 80 lb max.
Unless this was a typo, and they meant to say "hitch rack is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs."

Reactions: rxlawdude