Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charger comes with the Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may very well be a bit slow, but I can't figure out what charger comes with the Y?

I assume it's the mobile connector but what plug does it come with - just a standard 110? If I want to charge on day one with anything other than that, I need to wait for Tesla to have the right pieces in stock? Or does it come with a plug for a 14-50 or something stronger?

Yep, it should come with the same as ever other Tesla the UMC with a 5-15 adapter. If you want any other adapter either order it first or check with your local service center to see if they have what you need in stock.

If I want to charge on day one with anything other than that, I need to wait for Tesla to have the right pieces in stock? Or does it come with a plug for a 14-50 or something stronger?

Right. The plugs are $35.

You can also purchase a 6-50 which is in stock. Only some of the plugs are out of stock at any given time, so you can buy your plug and then install the matching outlet.

They also make a charger that has the 14-50 plug permanently installed and it charges up to 40A if you’re on a 50A circuit. If you want more than that, you can get up to 48A, on a 60A circuit, with the wall charger unit.

...And everything is out of stock right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
once you find it in the product order pages.
not much use though. at 2 - 3 miles of charge per hour, but might be necessity sometimes when you've ignored the range notice.

I'm not sure why Tesla quotes 2-3 mph charging at 120v. Our Model S (P90DL) charged at 4-5mph (usually 4) and our 3PD charges at 6mph. 2-3mph must be for a Model X worst case scenario. They should specify it as it's a pretty big difference (while still extremely slow, much better).

J1772 adapter? Don't see any mention of it in the manual, but when I go to the Tesla store, at the J1772 adapter page it says -
"This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle."

Sure hope it comes with the car. After all the adapters I need to buy, I've probably gone through all the fuel savings for the first year!

J1772 adapter? Don't see any mention of it in the manual, but when I go to the Tesla store, at the J1772 adapter page it says -
"This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle."

Sure hope it comes with the car. After all the adapters I need to buy, I've probably gone through all the fuel savings for the first year!

The guy who posted about his new Y said his did not come with the “RV” adaptor; just a guess but he probably is referring to the J1772. I personally ordered one because it’s my primary source of charging right now

There's a wide range of what people refer to as "RV adapters". My understanding is that they are usually referring to the NEMA 14-50, but it does vary depending on who you're talking to and their own RV (big ones use the bigger plugs). The 14-50s used to come with Teslas, but they stopped with the M3.

Anyone with an M3 get the J1772?

I imagine Silverstreak would have mentioned the J1772 presence if there was one.

Will come with a Supercharger (fast) connect plus a 120V adaptor (slow).

There are lots of other places an owner might wish to charge, so Tesla has available many other adaptors for around $35 each.
You can get adaptors to plug into dryer sockets, welding connections, RV connections, etc.

Everyone gets the basic and then can purchase any specific adaptors that will fit their needs.

Will come with a Supercharger (fast) connect plus a 120V adaptor (slow).

There are lots of other places an owner might wish to charge, so Tesla has available many other adaptors for around $35 each.
You can get adaptors to plug into dryer sockets, welding connections, RV connections, etc.

Everyone gets the basic and then can purchase any specific adaptors that will fit their needs.

I've already purchased my adapter (10-30) and installed the receptacle (I was limited to 30A).

The J1772 adapter used to come with the car, just trying to find out if it still does with the MYs. It would greatly expand my charging options (albeit slow) when traveling. The J1772 seems to be a common plug, especially at hotels.

And, BTW, the J1772 adapter Tesla sells is $95, a not insignificant amount above the $35 for the plain adapters.

I'm not sure why Tesla quotes 2-3 mph charging at 120v. Our Model S (P90DL) charged at 4-5mph (usually 4) and our 3PD charges at 6mph. 2-3mph must be for a Model X worst case scenario. They should specify it as it's a pretty big difference (while still extremely slow, much better).

From the store site. Gen 2 mobile connector.

Screenshot_20200316-081338.jpg

The guy who posted about his new Y said his did not come with the “RV” adaptor; just a guess but he probably is referring to the J1772. I personally ordered one because it’s my primary source of charging right now

Nope. The RV adapter would be the NEMA 14-50 pigtail for the UMC - 14-50 is what bigger RVs use, what the RV world calls 50 amp service.

No one in the RV world would know what j1772 is unless they have an EV too.