Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Hands On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to know how the rear visibility compares to the M3. The Model S is quite poor in this regard.
Do you mean poor in the Model 3? The visibility (for me) is much better in my S (even with the middle headrest) compared to my 3. I can't see any headlights of cars close behind the 3. I can get a much better sense of traffic behind me with my S. I'm hoping the Y has a better rear view angle than the 3, but I suspect not, since the back hatch area is relatively tall.

same here. Wanted to replace my Grand Cherokee with this. I only have 2 kids but we frequently have 3 in the back between kids friends, cousin, grand parent, etc.
I think he said that he actually measured the width of the rear seats and it was exactly the same as 3 not narrower like the manual says, which seems odd that Tesla would make an error. Nevertheless, its a bit disappointing that's its not wider in the back vs3.

Reactions: SilverSmith
I think he said that he actually measured the width of the rear seats and it was exactly the same as 3 not narrower like the manual says, which seems odd that Tesla would make an error. Nevertheless, its a bit disappointing that's its not wider in the back vs3.

right. I was hoping it was going to be 3” wider than the 3 considering the width of the car is 3” wider.

Im not sure how hip room is measured exactly by each manufacturer, but I just cannot imagine that any of them would, on purpose or accident, publish numbers not in their favor.

As some mentioned, reason why I’m very curious is because 2 car seats in the rear of a 3 is already tight. Losing 1.8” with some of the car seats out there would make it somewhat impractical. Definitely won’t be able to put a car seat in the middle rear.

Do you mean poor in the Model 3? The visibility (for me) is much better in my S (even with the middle headrest) compared to my 3. I can't see any headlights of cars close behind the 3. I can get a much better sense of traffic behind me with my S. I'm hoping the Y has a better rear view angle than the 3, but I suspect not, since the back hatch area is relatively tall.
I think rear mirror view is better than M3, still small, but not as bad.

Last edited:

No, I meant the Model S. The rear window looks quite small in the rear view mirror. I don't mind not seeing cars up close. I do mind losing the view width in the S.

Im not sure how hip room is measured exactly by each manufacturer, but I just cannot imagine that any of them would, on purpose or accident, publish numbers not in their favor.

As some mentioned, reason why I’m very curious is because 2 car seats in the rear of a 3 is already tight. Losing 1.8” with some of the car seats out there would make it somewhat impractical. Definitely won’t be able to put a car seat in the middle rear.

I suppose it's possible that rear seat hip room might be based simply on the width of the rear seat bench and since this is a different design than the model 3 seat that must also account for allowing passage to a third row in the future that the rear part of the bench might be not as wide at the 3's to allow a persons foot to slide through to a third row. So even if the width between the doors is the same, the rear corners of the seats might be narrower and the front of the seat bottom the same as the 3's

Reactions: VQTRVA
How do I know/test that?

From Model 3 manual...
It emits spaceship sound if equipped.:D
Screenshot_20200314-085800_Drive.jpg

Reactions: Electric Steve
What I have learned in the last 12 hours:
  • There is no HomeLink (our M3 AWD has this included). I think you have to order it for $300 and have it physically installed.
Thanks for posting all the pics and information about your new Y and congratulations on the new car!

I think Model 3 stopped including Homelink in mid-2019, and yes it is $300 including installation:

- Automatic Garage Opener

Could you measure the hatch dimensions height, width and diagonal opening when you have a chance please?
It is 27.5" from the deck to the top center (it curves a bit though, so edges will be less depending on the width of the cargo.
It is 37" width, measured between the wheel hubs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_101138.jpg
    IMG_20200314_101138.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20200314_101116.jpg
    IMG_20200314_101116.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20200314_101110.jpg
    IMG_20200314_101110.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 152