Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What comes with MCU2 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m about to pull the trigger on MCU2 upgrade.
Mine is a 2017 MS FSD with AP3.
Four questions,,,??
1-Is the price still 1500? Or is it 2000 now?
2-hat comes with it? Do they change the main front screen and dash screen or do they remain the same?
3-do they change cameras?
4-Anybody had issues after changing theirs?

I’m just fed up of frequently restarting my MCU1. Honesty don’t want to spend that money as I don’t believe I will recover it when selling my car but I have no choice. Hope it’s worth it.
Please help.

1-Is the price still 1500? Or is it 2000 now?
Since your car already has the AP3 FSD computer, yes, it's $1500. Add $500 if you want to keep FM radio.
2-hat comes with it? Do they change the main front screen and dash screen or do they remain the same?
Both the 17" MCU screen and the instrument cluster screen are replaced.
3-do they change cameras?
You should ask about this at your appointment or beforehand if possible to see if they can do both at once. Tesla has just this month started camera retrofits for cars that originally shipped with AP 2.0. You'll need to have this done too before you can get the FSD beta. It's "free", included in the FSD package you already bought.
4-Anybody had issues after changing theirs?

I’m just fed up of frequently restarting my MCU1. Honesty don’t want to spend that money as I don’t believe I will recover it when selling my car but I have no choice. Hope it’s worth it.
Please help.
It really dramatically improves the UI experience in the car. Haven't seen really any posts from people disappointed with the results.

Reactions: Flyguy and ADEEL421
Thank you so much for the info. I reached out and ask them if they can do it together and they said since my car isn’t flagged yet for the camera upgrade they can’t do it so I just made an appointment for the MCU2 upgrade. Hopefully the camera upgrade comes soon to my car. So excited for that. I never knew about that.

...my car isn’t flagged yet for the camera upgrade they can’t do it...

That's the code words for you didn't pass the Safety Score.

To get the request button for Safety Score, you need MCU2.

Once you pass the Safety Score (currently, 98%), how are you going to keep driving like a student driver to keep that score while waiting for Tesla's flag?

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
That's the code words for you didn't pass the Safety Score.

To get the request button for Safety Score, you need MCU2.

Once you pass the Safety Score (currently, 98%), how are you going to keep driving like a student driver to keep that score while waiting for Tesla's flag?
You didn’t read my full post. They said my car isn’t flag for camera upgrade. I am not talking about the FSD on my 2nd post. For camera upgrade they flag your car and send you a message on the app telling you that your car is eligible for the camera upgrade free.

You didn’t read my full post. They said my car isn’t flag for camera upgrade. I am not talking about the FSD on my 2nd post. For camera upgrade they flag your car and send you a message on the app telling you that your car is eligible for the camera upgrade free.

So whom do they flag first? Anyone who paid FSD from the earliest? I bought mine in 2017, then upgraded to MCU2 and HW3 more than a year and a half ago in 2020, then I got my Safety Score of 89 for the past 3 months since 9/25/2021. Still no flag! I called and they said to wait for the e-mail.

So far, I've only heard people with high Safety Scores like 100 would get the e-mail for a camera upgrade.

So whom do they flag first? Anyone who paid FSD from the earliest? I bought mine in 2017, then upgraded to MCU2 and HW3 more than a year and a half ago in 2020, then I got my Safety Score of 89 for the past 3 months since 9/25/2021. Still no flag! I called and they said to wait for the e-mail.

So far, I've only heard people with high Safety Scores like 100 would get the e-mail for a camera upgrade.
From what I know the camera upgrade was just announced this month so you having a good score for past 3 months won’t count I believe. How they are flagging cars for camera upgrade I am not sure but the camera upgrade have nothing to do with safety score. You will get the new cameras eventually when it’s your turn. The safety score is solely for FSD push. Again that is Just my understanding from the information I have gathered on forms and service center.
Also you won’t get email for the upgrade but more like an alert on your app they said.

From what I know the camera upgrade was just announced this month so you having a good score for past 3 months won’t count I believe. How they are flagging cars for camera upgrade I am not sure but the camera upgrade have nothing to do with safety score. You will get the new cameras eventually when it’s your turn. The safety score is solely for FSD push. Again that is Just my understanding from the information I have gathered on forms and service center.
Also you won’t get email for the upgrade but more like an alert on your app they said.

Think about it: A driver with a perfect score 100 would wait while a flunked score of 30 or a no score would get the cameras first?

...the camera upgrade have nothing to do with safety score...
Here's from the horse's mouth--Highest Safety Score for your camera:

0LVfpAG.jpg

Reactions: Flyguy
Ah so the service advisor who called me lied to me. He told me to wait for the MCU2 upgrade and also the camera upgrade and get it together when I get alert on my app. So this makes me wonder if I don’t upgrade to MCU2 I would be waiting even longer and if I do get a MCU2 upgrade I have a better chance if I keep my score high because right now on my MCU1 I cannot even see my score.

Ah so the service advisor who called me lied to me. He told me to wait for the MCU2 upgrade and also the camera upgrade and get it together when I get alert on my app. So this makes me wonder if I don’t upgrade to MCU2 I would be waiting even longer and if I do get a MCU2 upgrade I have a better chance if I keep my score high because right now on my MCU1 I cannot even see my score.
You don’t even have a score yet. You won’t start accumulating one until you have MCU2 and a current software release.

Ah so the service advisor who called me lied to me....

He did not lie to you if you give him enough time. Currently, due to parts shortage, Tesla has to ration and devise away who would get camera upgrade first. Thus, the Safety Score .

Once the pandemic will be over and the parts shortage will be over, there will be no need to ration who would get it first.

I have a few questions. I have a S75D with MCU1 and HW2.5 (I have enhanced autopilot). I plan to upgrade to MCU2 soon, but am I able to upgrade to MCU2 with HW2.5? Does the MCU2 also include the HW3 upgrade? If I purchase FSD now, will the MCU2 upgrade be included?

I recently upgraded to MCU 2 On my 2015 S 85D. Am I eligible for the camera upgrade? What determines your safety score? New to this information. So my apologies if i am asking redundant questions.
Your 2015 has Autopilot 1.0 hardware, which is not compatible with Full Self Driving, safety score, etc. So no camera upgrade supported or necessary.